English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 September 2009, 17:06   #1
mattbarton.exe

Fallout (Matt's 30th episode)

Hi, Amigans !

Here is my most recent "Matt Chat" episode, this time on Interplay's Fallout:

[ Show youtube player ]

I was a bit torn over whether to cover Fallout or its predecessor, Wasteland. I opted for Fallout because of the recent publication of the "Fallout Trilogy," which gives you all three games for only $20. Note that the third game is Tactics, though, not Bethesda's Fallout 3. Bethesda is actually raising quite a stink over it, claiming the confusion was intentional. Truth be told, they should have called it something like "Fallout Legacy Trilogy" or "Classic Fallout Trilogy" to avoid that.

In any case, I hope you enjoy the video! I'm thinking of covering A Rockstar Ate My Hamster next.
Old 19 September 2009, 17:09   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Another great review Matt Another one to add to my 'replay' list (which is rather long already...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
I'm thinking of covering A Rockstar Ate My Hamster next.
Oh yes, please do that
Old 19 September 2009, 17:25   #3
skateblind
Village Idiot

Yay! \o/
Old 19 September 2009, 20:33   #4
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Well, great as always Matt.

I liked Fallout, but I liked PS:Torment better.

A rockstar? Ate my hamster? What? Never heard of it.
Old 19 September 2009, 20:37   #5
jmmijo

I hate to rain on this parade, but I would not have reviewed it until the lawsuit was settled between Interplay and Bethesady over this IP.

The only reason is that fact that you could be getting a Cease and Desist from either party depending on the outcome of said review.

It shouldn't matter but you know how litigious it is here in the states
Old 19 September 2009, 20:54   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
A rockstar? Ate my hamster? What? Never heard of it.
You never heard of it??? Matt means this one : http://hol.abime.net/1267
Go and play it, now!
Old 19 September 2009, 20:57   #7
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
I hate to rain on this parade, but I would not have reviewed it until the lawsuit was settled between Interplay and Bethesady over this IP.

The only reason is that fact that you could be getting a Cease and Desist from either party depending on the outcome of said review.

It shouldn't matter but you know how litigious it is here in the states
How can a review or personal opinion cause any problems legally? I seriously doubt they will worry about a youtube video...
Old 20 September 2009, 00:11   #8
Moroder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
How can a review or personal opinion cause any problems legally? I seriously doubt they will worry about a youtube video...
I agree, wouldn't worry about that. Looking forward to viewing the vid, Matt!
Old 20 September 2009, 02:56   #9
WDeranged

Fallout is a game that anyone who appreciates quality writing should try, the turn based combat could put you off but if you stick with it there's a chess like quality to it.

Thanks for your Planescape Torment review Matt, it got me to finally install it
Old 20 September 2009, 03:05   #10
mattbarton.exe

Thanks, guys! CyberDruid is correct--that is the game I meant. It was a favorite of mine on the Commodore 64, though it seems that few Americans have heard of it. I will hopefully be able to find the original version (Speccy?) and compare it to the ports. It will make a huge difference since the sound hardware was so different in the Speccy, C-64, and Amiga.

Interplay did such a great job with Fallout and Planescape. They seem to have been a hit or miss company. I loved both those games but didn't care much for Icewind Dale, even though it was a party-based CRPG with a lot going for it. Just didn't seem to have that same magic. Not saying it was bad, just not as good as their other games. It's really sad for me, because I think they just didn't choose the right setting and story--the basic setup had a lot of promise.

I've really enjoyed Bioware's later games such as Mass Effect, Jade Empire, and KOTOR. I wasn't too happy with NWN even though I played through the game and its expansions. Again, not a bad game, just not a fantastic one. NWN 2 just didn't click at all with me. I was glad when it was over.

I only wish a truly great developer would step up to fill the void with turn-based CRPGs. I know there are some indy and low-budget projects out there, but the last major release I can think of was Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil, which again fell short of the "greatness" mark. You really just can't succeed if you don't have both kick ass writers and at least a decent game engine. A lot of games have great graphics and so on, but the story and characters just don't hold interest. I don't really know what the problem is, because there are tons and tons of great Dungeons & Dragons content that hasn't been properly brought to the computer.
Old 20 September 2009, 11:41   #11
Peter
Still an Amiga user

The movement of the character in Fallout reminds me a little of Wasted Dreams on the Amiga (A very different game admittedly)

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 September 2009, 20:10   #12
Si-Pie

Hey Matt another great video thanx and love all your videos. Ive only just noticed your a member of this site. I love RPG games so would be great to see some more RPG videos. Maybe some adventure games too like some of Sierra-On-Line games? Ive also found your books on Amazon so will be ordering them

Last edited by Si-Pie; 20 September 2009 at 20:18.
Old 23 September 2009, 22:34   #13
demoniac

I remember my friends spending hours playing Wasteland.

Two friends of mine worked on Fallout. I didn't realize how great the game was until two years after it came out.
Old 23 September 2009, 22:53   #14
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
I have just recently completed Fallout 3 on the XBOX 360 and had never tried any of the previous ones. I did finish Wasteland in 2003 using DOSBOX and I just love that game. Granted, Wasteland is standard fare (Bards Tale) graphics wise but I just loved the story.

Keep em' coming Matt!

P.S. I was going to post a video reply of me holding this copy of "Fountain of Dreams" I bought back in the 1990's. I figured some day I would get a PC (was all Amiga at the time) but I never figured by the time I got one, there would be no more 5 1/4" drives and that DOS games would for the most part no longer work anyway! Never did get to play it.
Old 24 September 2009, 04:03   #15
mattbarton.exe

Post that video review!!! Love to see it.
Old 24 September 2009, 07:50   #16
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
I would normally agree with you, however, I also take into account that every company in the US has some sort of IP that they are protecting in every manner, a video review of one of a game companies IP may or may not sit well with them.

I agree it would seem rediculous that something would happen over a video review, but it's what the world had become in the past 20 years or so, to the detriment of society as a whole I might add