Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 31 July 2020, 13:25   #1
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

World Class Leaderboard HD issue

Hi all,

Hope someone may help with this strange issue with World Class Leaderboard

Config: basic A500 (512+512)
Tested with various memory config but always the same issue.

1) When loading the game from the ADF, everything is fine.

2) Then, to record a go and shorten loading times, I have installed (copied) all files from the ADF onto a folder on the HD.

2a) The game loads quickly BUT when I want to start a game, it always returns to the main menu of the game (click on demo mode - no need to write player's name)

2b) tried various "assign" but nothing helped

2c) checked with snoopdos but all lines were 'OK'

3) If I reboot WinUAE after changing the 1.3 ROM (no other config change) to 2.04 or 3.1,... it's possible to play the game from the same HD

Did someone face the same issue or know why it's not possible to play the game from HD with the 1.3 ROM ?
Any clue ?

Last edited by malko; 31 July 2020 at 16:45. Reason: typo
Old 01 August 2020, 12:11   #2
Amigajay

No assign's needed for this game, but i noticed when if i didn't use the game's 'system-configuration' file it would do the same problem as yours as in return to the menu when about to start the game.

May well just have worked for me, but worth a try.
Old 01 August 2020, 22:46   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thank you for the idea. Gave it a try. Unfortunatelly result was the same : game not going further than the main menu with ROM 1.3...

I then decided to copy/replace one bye one each and every file from the game folder to the root of the HD (replaced files in C, devs, libs, etc.) and checked if the game was not returning to the main menu. But nothing helped

Then I decided to change the FS, so replaced pfs3aio with FFS. No better result

Then replaced FFS with OFS and ... Working!

It's really strange :

With ROM 1.3, the HDF has to be formatted with OFS for World Class Leaderboard.
With ROM 2+ the HDF can be formatted with pfs3aio.
There is also a font difference (text 'load, save, abort') - Will post a screenshot.

@Toni : Difficult for me to see/say if it's a game or FS issue, so, if you see this thread, as the man behind pfs3aio, do you have any idea why what is described above happens ?
let me know if you need the HDF (It's only 8MB, so compressed it would be very small).

Last edited by malko; 02 August 2020 at 09:31. Reason: typo
Old 01 August 2020, 23:55   #4
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

the font difference (both screenshots made with the OFS formatted Partition/HDF) :

Last edited by malko; 02 August 2020 at 09:20. Reason: Was late yesterday and looks like I have mixed the screenshots. Now corrected.
Old 02 August 2020, 10:09   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Possibly game does something stupid when loading files and OFS responds differently than others.

Check with snoopdos?
Old 02 August 2020, 11:47   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

the whdload version probably doesn't have the problem since it boots on 1.3
Old 02 August 2020, 12:02   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
the font difference (both screenshots made with the OFS formatted Partition/HDF) :

The game apparently uses the system font (ROM) hence it looks different on 1.3 and 2.0+.

Last edited by StingRay; 02 August 2020 at 17:10. Reason: Typo
Old 02 August 2020, 16:06   #8
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thank you all for your answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
the whdload version probably doesn't have the problem since it boots on 1.3
If I am correct the whdload version uses an image of the floppy disk. So it's the same as booting the computer with the disk in df0:, which indeed works with ROM 1.3 - or does the whdload version create an HDF ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
The game apparantly uses the system font (ROM) hence it looks different on 1.3 and 2.0+.
Now that you mention it, I think I remember that the OS font was modified for the release of WB 2. So seems logical that the fonts are different on the screenshots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Possibly game does something stupid when loading files and OFS responds differently than others. [...]
pfs3aio responds the same way with the 2+ ROM. So why not with the 1.3 one ?

Quote:
[...] Check with snoopdos?
I checked again. All lines return OK thus letting the user thinking everything is fine.
But by comparing the screenshots I just made, we can see that less files are loaded with the combination of ROM 1.3 & pfs3aio. And exactly the same result is achieved with ROM 1.3 & OFS or ROM 2+ & pfs3aio.

Old 02 August 2020, 17:21   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I thought snoopdos would return more detailed information. (Exact dos call used, parameters and everything). This log is almost useless..
Old 02 August 2020, 20:30   #10
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I thought snoopdos would return more detailed information. (Exact dos call used, parameters and everything). This log is almost useless..
Yes... and this is the maximum output with the latest release of snoopdos for 1.3 (I checked the documentation and all options are enabled).

I will try with a later version of snoopdos (with a 3.1 WB) and let you know if it "verbose" more.
Old 02 August 2020, 21:20   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

Oh I didn't realize you were using kick 1.3... Either relokick + whdload or use JST which supports kick 1.3. I didn't test that particular game though
Old 02 August 2020, 21:46   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I have checked and it's a bug in the file loader. It assumes Close() returns an error code but that error code was only introduced in V36 of the OS which also explains why the game works on 2.0.

I have made a small patch which just disables the return code check in the file loader, this will make the game work. Copy the patch to the directory where the game has been installed and execute it instead of "golf".

I have used the QTX crack as reference, if you have any other version the patch will not work (it's a quick and dirty hack) as I didn't feel patching dos.library itself (may do that later).
Attached Files
File Type: 68k load.68k (96 Bytes, 21 views)
Old 02 August 2020, 22:17   #13
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Here is the log made with snoopdos 3.8 with the 2.04 ROM (lucky me only the ROM was necessary so my HDF is still the same )
Sad this snoopdos 3.8 crashes under 1.3...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Oh I didn't realize you were using kick 1.3..[...]
No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I have checked and it's a bug in the file loader. It assumes Close() returns an error code but that error code was only introduced in V36 of the OS which also explains why the game works on 2.0.

I have made a small patch which just disables the return code check in the file loader, this will make the game work. Copy the patch to the directory where the game has been installed and execute it instead of "golf".

I have used the QTX crack as reference, if you have any other version the patch will not work (it's a quick and dirty hack) as I didn't feel patching dos.library itself (may do that later).
Oh thank you Sting !!!!
Will try it.
Old 02 August 2020, 22:59   #14
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I have to say that I still don't understand why it's working with an OFS formatted partition and not with a PFS3aio formated one as both are running with the 1.3 ROM (I mean the close() you mention is called whatever FS is used...

But your patch does it Sting !

Playing the "Dora" course right now on my pfs3aio partition (ROM 1.3)

Thank you Toni & Sting for your answers and help !

Old 02 August 2020, 23:06   #15
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I have to say that I still don't understand why it's working with an OFS formatted partition and not with a PFS3aio formated
It's just a matter of the result returned by Close() which, most probably, is just a random value on OS versions < 36. It's not really file-system specific, if it works then only by coincidence, not by design.
Old 02 August 2020, 23:07   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Ok
Old 03 August 2020, 09:59   #17
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@Sting : while playing yesterday night, it happened that the game returned to the main menu when I clicked on "TOP" (to see the top view of the hole). So far, it only happened when I was on the score screen (the screen just before starting a hole) and not while in the driving range/fairway.

Looks like this " close() " is called again... If you want to have a look at it, I hope they are easy to track down.
Will do further tests this evening and report.
Old 03 August 2020, 10:15   #18
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Try attached patch, it now patches Close() in dos.library so all bad calls should be fixed.

Run the patch and then start the game ("golf").
Attached Files
File Type: 68k Patch.68k (248 Bytes, 18 views)
Old 03 August 2020, 11:48   #19
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Can't wait to go home tonight to test it. Thanks
Old 03 August 2020, 21:31   #20
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Working like a charm, Sting. Thank you
Snoopdos don't even see the patch