English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 July 2020, 12:15   #1
Ray T. Racer
Ancient Real3D/WCS User

Wow !!! Revive Dead 1994 A4000/30 !!!

Took forever . Frozen dead hard drives . Power supply was working though . Wiggle hard drive's power cables . Why ? No idea . It really was the only hope .

On-off/on-off/on-off ... very/very gently . Dead , but then, ear against the drive, some faint clicks heard .

Never say "Die" . Just gently wiggle power "ON" & "OFF" .

Then power-cable wiggle some new clicking sounds & eventually some spin sounds & then finally some spin-up sounds !

Image the feeling when a dead hard drive finally spins all the way back up again ?

Still , the Amiga did not boot of course .

Hook the drives up to the Windows machine & it did show exactly what drive it was , manufacturer & size !

BAMMM!!!

Amazing ! So plugin back to the Amiga & long story short (too late for that) , it actually boots !!!!!

Aftr 15 years , for the Micropolis 2210A 1 Gigabyte , & 25 years for the original Western Digital 80 MEGABYTE , they are booting back up !

That goes without mentioning the Iomega 100MB SCSI ZIP drive that never faultered . So much back-up info on those giant 100MB "floppy's" .

The most amazing thing of all ... The Amiga Workbench boot partion is only 8MB !

No, not 8 Gigabytes ... 8 Megabytes !!!!

Seriously ??? A full multimedia , super quick boot , 32 bit operating system , OS-on-ROM , circa "the 80's" , that could not survive ?

Thangs that make you go "Hmmmm..."

God Bless You Bill Gates !

Where would We Be Without You (and your multi/multi/multi-globally convicted criminal MS henchmen?)

Have a nice life (slimy worm) .

Sorry, if I did not spell "slimy" properly for you .

Old 18 July 2020, 12:22   #2
AmigaHope

Sounds like you need to spray deoxit or some other contact cleaner on your connectors. And/or there are some cracked solder joints.
Old 19 July 2020, 10:57   #3
Ray T. Racer
Ancient Real3D/WCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Sounds like you need to spray deoxit or some other contact cleaner on your connectors. And/or there are some cracked solder joints.
Anyway , no , sorry . Dead drives require extra-special TLC (was my point) .

Nurse them in , a tiny-tiny 'bit' at a time . Patience & extremely focused observation is the way forward , as always .

Please refrain from hard ramming the power cable in again & again, and adding lube until they finally, most willingly, submit .

Just because a certain method easily worked with you doesn't mean it will work with everyone . (((( ()))))

Best of Lick .

Ray T. Racer
65 years old & been there ... (done/seen) that (more than just a few times).
Old 20 July 2020, 01:07   #4
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I urge you to get those drives imaged with WinUAE, assuming both are IDE?

I get a real buzz reviving long dead Amiga stuff that I forgot about.

Same as when ex-sceners suddenly show up and have found their old stuff up in the loft.
Old 21 July 2020, 05:05   #5
Ray T. Racer
Ancient Real3D/WCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
I urge you to get those drives imaged with WinUAE, assuming both are IDE?

I get a real buzz reviving long dead Amiga stuff that I forgot about.

Same as when ex-sceners suddenly show up and have found their old stuff up in the loft.
Ya, never even considered that option . 10,000 boots later after trying to hack a PC floppy in (that didn't need hacking) , it appears that this 1gig Micropolis is dead now .

I F'd up . Should have just let this poor old dying Amiga rest while I "built a new one" on the PC . Then start again with healthy drives .

Original plan was to copy to a CF card but still not sure if that is even possible to copy drivers over from a 3.0 Workbench system to a pre-installed 3.1 CF card system !!!

Thanks For Your Reply

BTW , does that stuff get better with aging , like a fine wine ? Or just more mellow , like me ?
Old 21 July 2020, 18:16   #6
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray T. Racer View Post

Seriously ??? A full multimedia , super quick boot , 32 bit operating system , OS-on-ROM , circa "the 80's" , that could not survive ?

Thangs that make you go "Hmmmm..."

Commodore did some mistakes when designing new computers in the early 90s. The audio system (Paula) was already outdated by late 1992, and there was no VGA support on A4000. Who wanted to run 640x256 or 640x512 (interlaced) when you could go SVGA 800x600 non-interlaced on a standard PC? I bet those Zorro VGA graphics cards weren't that cheap either.
The PC was just simply better in some ways by the time A4000 came out (though Windows was a rather bad OS in 1992, that's for sure).

Quote:

God Bless You Bill Gates !

Where would We Be Without You (and your multi/multi/multi-globally convicted criminal MS henchmen?)

Have a nice life (slimy worm) .

Sorry, if I did not spell "slimy" properly for you .
This sounds a bit naive. I bet Commodore would still end up doing stupid hardware decisions with the Amiga even if Microsoft never existed.
Old 21 July 2020, 18:52   #7
Oxygene

Just a word to the wise : when you try to start up hard drives that old, you don't want to waste any successful startups - check the drive electronics with DMM, connect it to on old PC, and if the hard drive starts, immediately create a backup. No "later", no "tomorrow", immediately. When the backup has (hopefully) successfully completed, you make another backup of that backup, and then take out that old hard drive to the recycle center.
Just my 0.02$
Old 22 July 2020, 06:44   #8
Ray T. Racer
Ancient Real3D/WCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
Just a word to the wise : when you try to start up hard drives that old, you don't want to waste any successful startups - check the drive electronics with DMM, connect it to on old PC, and if the hard drive starts, immediately create a backup. No "later", no "tomorrow", immediately. When the backup has (hopefully) successfully completed, you make another backup of that backup, and then take out that old hard drive to the recycle center.
Just my 0.02$
Thanks for your reply :

You kinda lost me . DMM ? This (link below)

DMM

OK , but "connect it to an old PC" ?? How ? How do you make a backup of an Amiga drive on any PC , new or old ?

Does anyone know what this poster means ?

Anyway , yes, already admitted I wasted so much time & reboots . I quote "I F'd up" .
Old 22 July 2020, 07:29   #9
Ray T. Racer
Ancient Real3D/WCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Commodore did some mistakes when designing new computers in the early 90s. The audio system (Paula) was already outdated by late 1992, and there was no VGA support on A4000. Who wanted to run 640x256 or 640x512 (interlaced) when you could go SVGA 800x600 non-interlaced on a standard PC? I bet those Zorro VGA graphics cards weren't that cheap either.
The PC was just simply better in some ways by the time A4000 came out (though Windows was a rather bad OS in 1992, that's for sure).
Well , I had to use a PC at the Engineering company we worked for . We first used DOS based software , Like Lotus 1-2-3 & it was fantastic . Lightning fast & easy to use , but no mouse & very limited capabilities usually, but we had several very good S/W's , instead of 1 "do-everything" S/W .

I bought a Mac later in 1985 when the 'PLUS' came out . MS 'Excel' was fantastic !!!! Mac boots in 1985 were even quicker than Amiga in 1992 . Amazing charting capabilities, and tests we did on our big HP plotter were superb , outputs were "off the charts" , no pun intended .

The year I started looking at the Amiga 3000 , unfortunately, our boss visited a computer shop & was sold a bill of goods & came home with Windows 3.0 machines .

It was pure F'n HELLL !!!!

Boot up & go make a pot of coffee . Come back with coffee & load MS Excel & go have a smoke . I refused to work that way & brought my "easy to carry" Mac from home . Then engineers started borrowing it on the weekend .

One guy actually quit & kept it & I had to go to his house to threaten the Cops if he did not give it back .

Anyway , what I was getting at was Microsoft's very agressive way of doing business , and was convicted & fined for illegal trade practices .

Microsoft was after world market domination right from day one , and Commodore was just another naive little road apple along the way .

When Commodore tested the waters in the early 1980's, there were no schools of sharks swimming around . 10 years later there was an infestation .

Quote:
this sounds a bit naive. I bet Commodore would still end up doing stupid hardware decisions with the Amiga even if Microsoft never existed.
For me , my A4000/030 was an awesome multimedia computer . To outfit a Mac or PC like that was more than I could afford .

I used my big CRT TV with the A520 video adapter . Looked fantastic and way cheaper than buying a multi-sync monitor , plus I could record my Real3D Animations , using simple "mpeg1" software with sound, straight to my VCR .

Perfect !

Later I bought a Vlab motion & a Warp Engine, which was another awesome thing about Amigas, expandability/upgradeability .

Sorry, but everyone wants to blame Commodore's demise on it's hardware or lack of features, but for what it was intended for , and what you got for the price, I think there would have been a market niche there for them , had they not been slam/dunked by the Big-Boys .

Just my opinion . Trust me , I'm not the only "Bill Gates Hater" in the world , maybe for good reasons .

Cheers!
Old 22 July 2020, 10:18   #10
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Just my opinion . Trust me , I'm not the only "Bill Gates Hater" in the world , maybe for good reasons .
Keep hating on him for no good reason.
Old 22 July 2020, 10:59   #11
Oxygene

Quote:
Thanks for your reply :

You kinda lost me . DMM ? This (link below)

DMM

OK , but "connect it to an old PC" ?? How ? How do you make a backup of an Amiga drive on any PC , new or old ?
DMM = Digital MultiMeter, because you might wanna check for any shorts or other obvious malfunctions in HDD electronics before powering it up.
Use old PC because newer ones do not have IDE port. You might use USB enclosure, however.
As for backing up, WinUAE will do the job, or plain old dd on linux. Here, let me search it for you...
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=50977

There, have fun
Old 22 July 2020, 11:29   #12
Ray T. Racer
Ancient Real3D/WCS User

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Keep hating on him for no good reason.
Ya , I hear what you're saying . You meant :
Quote:
Keep hating on him for no good 'Publically Disclosed' reason ...
Yep-Yep . The whole truth never has been told publically, and probably never will be , but thanks for trying , in your own way (God Bless) .

Good Point Well Made !

Thank's very much for your very-very balls-zey Post!!!

About time somebody finally stood up against the 'Evil Empire' .

Cheers & Best of Luck out there, now that you've spoken out against him !!!!

Relax , (they only come at night) ... ... ... (but every... single... solitary night)

... ... ...

Text me if you somehow manage to (Kiss The Dawn) .

Anyway , I do not know you , and do not want to in any way shape or form .

Baaaa-Buy (forever I'm afraid) .

(tries desperately to sneak away somehow [blood hounds sounding closer by the minute])

"If I can just climb over that very smooth/sweet/creamy wall I should be safe forever !!!" (Knot2B) .
Old 22 July 2020, 12:01   #13
Ray T. Racer
Ancient Real3D/WCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
DMM = Digital MultiMeter, because you might wanna check for any shorts or other obvious malfunctions in HDD electronics before powering it up.
Use old PC because newer ones do not have IDE port. You might use USB enclosure, however.
As for backing up, WinUAE will do the job, or plain old dd on linux. Here, let me search it for you...
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=50977

There, have fun

WoW !!! Seriously , just WoW !!!

Is it just me, or is this really typical circa 2020?

Can't be ... Is it ? No way !

Ya know , we used to say "what are they putting in the water these days?"

Decades later the truth was revealed as to "what are they not taking out of the water these days?"

Economically Speaking:

Seriously ,carbon filters will actually remove all those thousands of tons of discarded medications being flushed down the toilet every year, regionally .

From what I've read recently, newer technologies can even provide pure H2O, but it cost'es so much more money due to having to cycle through the process multi/multi times , until upper/lower criteria's are finally met .

Is it actually worth increasing taxes to the point where we have to give up watering & cutting our lawn every 3-4 days, and shifting to a "once a week" schedule ?

Depends .

For myself (and my dying Amiga hard drive) , right at this moment ? ...

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Old 22 July 2020, 12:03   #14
spudje

Apart from saveguarding the data, let me be the one to tell you about the obvious stuff

If not already done, remove the battery from your A4000 and have it recapped.
Old 22 July 2020, 12:51   #15
Daedalus

WTF? Christ, Commodore management were more than capable of sinking the Amiga all by themselves. They didn't need any help from external people. Also, conspiracy theorist, borderline political rants aren't exactly an ideal way to ask people nicely for help.
Old 22 July 2020, 13:41   #16
Jope
-

Ok, back on track please, everyone.
Old 22 July 2020, 20:10   #17
Oxygene

After reading OP's answers here and in other threads, I sincerely doubt that this thread has any even remotely meaningful track to get back on, but it's your choice. I, for one, will restrain myself from further feeding this troll.