English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 February 2016, 11:50   #101
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

@dlfrsilver. I think you're being over critical when talking about the C64, the gfx and colours may seem like crap to you, but not necessarily others. And your story about the CPC and C64 in France is the complete inverse for the UK.

I really liked the CPC, I especially liked the colours, and the over chunky pixels. However the C64 had it's own unique colours, some may say more naturalistic palette, and it was a very capable machine with gfx, games and demos in the right hands.

"I have tried quite a number of game on my own C64, and god oh god,
most of the time, only the music saves the games."

Then you really must update your list, and choose better games, it's not like the machine lacks them.
Old 27 February 2016, 12:03   #102
S0ulA55a551n

Amstrad CPC, much better than I thought it would be!

I had a cpc and loads of software and expansion etc. I always thought the cpc was more capable for things other than just games though this might have been just didn't know about for the c64. Had a mouse and a rombox amongst other things. Produced loads of school work on a dtp. The Manuals and books that Amstrad provided or for sale were really top rate. Whilst crap speccy ports killed it's Game image. Games done right really showed what it was capable of. So whilst the c64 was probably better games machine I think as an all round computer the Amstrad had the edge
Old 27 February 2016, 12:20   #103
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

@S0ulA55a551n. Interesting. In my school the CPC was mostly owned by middle class families, no doubt believing it would be a more suitable machine for productivity and education. Perception vs reality? I don't think the C64 even tried to come across as anything other than a games machine, in marketing terms anyway.
Old 27 February 2016, 12:31   #104
S0ulA55a551n

The cpc has some great paint programs word processors and assemblers. Always felt it enabled a do it your self attitude. It's what I first learnt basic on and then assembler . To we always felt like what the Amiga scene was like but for 8bits. Knew more people with spectrums than c64s. And yes I guess my family are middle class though don't really care about class
Old 27 February 2016, 12:36   #105
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Well, Denis is a pure CPC fanboy. So, nothing new here to read. But i like his passion for weak CPC pro arguments and his "graphics are the most important aspect" nonsense.
Old 27 February 2016, 14:54   #106
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Well, Denis is a pure CPC fanboy. So, nothing new here to read. But i like his passion for weak CPC pro arguments and his "graphics are the most important aspect" nonsense.
Hehe I was a c64 fanboy back in my youth, although after my close friends got the CPC, I did too, well I kept my c64.. Now after all these years it's easier to view these machines in a less bias and subjective fashion. Unless the fanboy monster from within comes out to play

Edit:

Just remembered a CPC game that made me jealous, switchblade. I played it first on my friends Amstrad, I was dead impressed! I was very disappointed when I played the c64 version.. It was a much sharper, polished experience on the cpc, well to my eyes.

Last edited by lordofchaos; 27 February 2016 at 15:03.
Old 27 February 2016, 15:21   #107
S0ulA55a551n

I had the cartridge of switchblade , still got it, just bought a nos gx4000 lol. Want a 6128 plus but when they come up hey go for silly money. Loved switchblade. Music was awesome. Or I thought so at the time
Old 27 February 2016, 16:03   #108
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
You can't go wrong with Antiriad or Thanatos on the CPC.
Both inspiring, mesmerizing games!
Some games are better even way better on the C64 admittedly,
but if you can overcome the blocky graphics, you're in for a treat with a color CPC and no other 8-bit machine at hand.
Also, for me it could be considered an honor for the CPC owners
to be granted with the huge load of Spectrum conversions; not the contrary. Beach-Head, D.T.'s Decathlon, oh the memories!
Old 27 February 2016, 16:06   #109
idrougge

Xyphoes Fantasy is also a great (looking) game.
Old 27 February 2016, 16:06   #110
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

it was the only good thing Amstrad ever made
Old 27 February 2016, 16:12   #111
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
it was the only good thing Amstrad ever made

Oh come on the emailer phone was genius lol
Old 27 February 2016, 16:24   #112
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

The CPC's best games were almost half as decent as a good C64 game! Now there's a controversial statement. Now I must run away!!!... Sorry the fanboy monster came out

Xyphoes Fantasy does look pretty good, shame I didn't know about it back then.
Old 27 February 2016, 16:35   #113
SkulleateR

Certainly the C64 has a lot MORE games and so also some more in high quality but anyway there are really good games for CPC out there and they look, feel and sound (!) way better that their C64 counterparts ....

Yes, the Soundchip in CPC is crap, yes, the hardware restricts good scrolling games (mostly) but a good coder can use the CPC fully and make good games
Old 27 February 2016, 16:56   #114
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
The CPC's best games were almost half as decent as a good C64 game! Now there's a controversial statement. Now I must run away!!!... Sorry the fanboy monster came out

Xyphoes Fantasy does look pretty good, shame I didn't know about it back then.

Operation wolf cough cough
Old 27 February 2016, 17:01   #115
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
Operation wolf cough cough
Touche.
Old 27 February 2016, 17:24   #116
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
there are really good games for CPC out there and they look, feel and sound (!) way better that their C64 counterparts ....
And which game would that be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
The CPC's best games were almost half as decent as a good C64 game!
So true!

I also did not like the garish colours on the CPC, and virtually all scrolling games were jerky!
Even this Xyphoes Fantasy that people are praising, while looking good it has jerky sprites and scrolling and looks sluggish compared to most C64 games.
Also the way the main character moves, he looks like a retard!.

Compare this- [ Show youtube player ] on CPC, With this- [ Show youtube player ] or [ Show youtube player ] on C64.
The C64 is as smooth as butter while still looking great, the CPC is not smooth at all in this game!

Last edited by hansel75; 27 February 2016 at 17:49.
Old 27 February 2016, 17:36   #117
teppic

The way I see it was the CPC came too late for the 8bit market, and so few programmers knew all the tricks to get the very most out of the machine. The high colour low res mode was too much of a strain over the slow 8bit bus and CPU, lacking any special hardware to help it.

It looked great in screenshots, as the low res mode easily beat the Spectrum and C64 in terms of colour. But lacking any of the hardware scrolling and sprites of the C64, and the simpler but very fast graphics of the Spectrum, it usually had dreadful scrolling and slow graphics.
Old 27 February 2016, 17:46   #118
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel75 View Post
Compare this- [ Show youtube player ] on CPC, With this- [ Show youtube player ] or [ Show youtube player ] on C64.
The C64 is as smooth as butter while still looking great, the CPC is not smooth at all in this game!
Hawkeye! That's the first game that came to mind when watching the CPC one... Yup. Smoothness definitely has a large impact with certain game types, especially fast action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teppic View Post
It looked great in screenshots, as the low res mode easily beat the Spectrum and C64 in terms of colour. But lacking any of the hardware scrolling and sprites of the C64, and the simpler but very fast graphics of the Spectrum, it usually had dreadful scrolling and slow graphics.
Yeah the colour was great, there were some fantastic loading screens too, plenty of good artists making use of that palette. Don't want to slam the CPC to hard... B.A.T. is a good example of playing to the CPC's strengths.

Last edited by lordofchaos; 27 February 2016 at 18:01.
Old 27 February 2016, 18:02   #119
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Even this Xyphoes Fantasy that people are praising, while looking good it has jerky sprites and scrolling and looks sluggish compared to most C64 games.
Just played it. Jesus, what a piece of shit. Typical Silmarils crap. Nice looking graphics but 0 gameplay. Jerky scrolling, way too slow jump mechanics, dull enemy formations and annoying CPC bleebs and blobs as music.
Old 27 February 2016, 18:08   #120
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Just played it. Jesus, what a piece of shit. Typical Silmarils crap. Nice looking graphics but 0 gameplay. Jerky scrolling, way too slow jump mechanics, dull enemy formations and annoying CPC bleebs and blobs as music.
Nostalgia Vs Reality. It's a dangerous game