English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 December 2005, 21:45   #1
xalakibaniou

Question A1200 Tower help

I started to mount an A1200 on a tower case. Here is the stuff to start:

1. 250Watt ATX PSU
2. An old midi tower case
3. 44 to 40 pin IDE adapter (to mount chip 3.5" HDDs)
4. Screws, soldering and drilling stuff
5. Patience!

I think that i am going to need a keyboard adapter to connect a PC keyboard to my amiga. I would like to ask if it's possible to connect a real amiga keyboard to the joystick port ?

Before anything else was done i have mounted an old 3.5" HDD using an adapter 44 to 40. I connected the power cable of the adapter to the PSU and the other PSU's power cable to the HD. I sort circuited the PSU to be able to power on. The amiga powered on and the HD worked fine. If i connect a CD-ROM drive will it work?

Is there anything else that i will need? This is my first attempt to build my amiga's new house. Any comments are wellcome.
Sorry if my english are not so accurate.
Old 04 December 2005, 00:20   #2
woody57

I have put a small lha in the ZONE which descrubes how to make a DIY keyboard connector
Thats IF you intend to DO IT ALL without buying a kit...

On the power side you also need to take a feed from the Blue wire of the ATX power supply to the centre pin of normal transformer input.BUT PLEASE WAIT TILL SOMEONE UPLOADS the voltage CHECK guide before YOU just take my word for it !

If you do a seach on TOWERING you should come across a FEW similar threads that have this information ALL READY !
Old 04 December 2005, 00:26   #3
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Send a message via MSN to DoctorQ
Ehh, hopefully you didn't connect the actual power connector from the 44 --> 40 pin adaptor to the PSU?? If so, disable it as soon as possible. I'm surprised if it didn't take out your motherboard already. The power connector is only needed when powering a 2.5" device connected to a 3.5" cable, but you use it the other way around, so it is not needed.

Connecting a CD drive to the cable will work just fine. Set the hdd as master, and the CD drive as slave, and everything is fine. Now you just need to install driver software in order to be able to use the CD drive.

It's not possible to connect a keyboard through the joyport, so you need a keyboard adaptor. Look in the marketplace section of this forum, I know some are selling their keyboard adaptors, and I know for sure that mine is still available
Old 04 December 2005, 00:50   #4
xalakibaniou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorQ
Ehh, hopefully you didn't connect the actual power connector from the 44 --> 40 pin adaptor to the PSU?? If so, disable it as soon as possible. I'm surprised if it didn't take out your motherboard already. The power connector is only needed when powering a 2.5" device connected to a 3.5" cable, but you use it the other way around, so it is not needed.

Connecting a CD drive to the cable will work just fine. Set the hdd as master, and the CD drive as slave, and everything is fine. Now you just need to install driver software in order to be able to use the CD drive.

It's not possible to connect a keyboard through the joyport, so you need a keyboard adaptor. Look in the marketplace section of this forum, I know some are selling their keyboard adaptors, and I know for sure that mine is still available
Oops! i did it! I have connected the 44-->40 power connector to the PSU and powered on without problems. Otherwise how soun I power on the machine and the 3.5" hdd?Do I have to connect both the original A1200 psu and the ATX PSU separately only for powering the 3.5" hdd? I didn't know that an amiga faces the same jumper settings for ide as a PC . Anyway i think that power is the main problem and i am lucky i haven't yet burned my miggy.
Old 04 December 2005, 11:51   #5
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Send a message via MSN to DoctorQ
@xalakibaniou

As for powering the machine, you can just snip off the power connector from the original A1200 PSU, and wire it up with the ATX PSU. If you would still need to have the original PSU to power the motherboard, there would be no idea in towering an A1200 ;-)
Old 04 December 2005, 21:12   #6
xalakibaniou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorQ
@xalakibaniou

As for powering the machine, you can just snip off the power connector from the original A1200 PSU, and wire it up with the ATX PSU. If you would still need to have the original PSU to power the motherboard, there would be no idea in towering an A1200 ;-)
MmmQ! I see Its slightly more tricky than i thought it would be. Ok! thanks for the help
Old 04 December 2005, 22:10   #7
keropi

there is a diagramm in the recent posts of amiga.org, explaining how to use an ATX psu with the amiga...
here: http://www.amiga.org/modules/newbb/v...=27970&forum=8
Old 05 December 2005, 20:23   #8
Dr. Dude

I am curent in the proces of Towering my Amiga 1200.

I say best power suply to use is a AT and not a ATX
a AT has its own power switch , ATX not
a AT is easy to wire to your Amiga, ATX needs some extra messing

My Power suply is ready, the Tower it self should arive soon

Of evry thing i do and get info about i build a HUGE help file

I already got the power suply part done.

Here are some pics
1: Inside view of when its done
2: The ones you need to remove, you won't need them anyway
3: The RED cirlces show the place where normaly the switch for 110 / 220 V is...
4: all done pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.PNG
Views:	248
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	9858   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.PNG
Views:	229
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	9859   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.PNG
Views:	231
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	9860   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.PNG
Views:	254
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	9861  
Old 05 December 2005, 21:50   #9
xalakibaniou

Thanks for all the help!I have found some guides on towering A1200 on aminet but your help guys is always wellcome!