English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 September 2002, 18:36   #1
Ada

Question SWOS questions

Hi everyone!

Could someone solve two questions about SWOS, please? I've been playing SWOS since I bought the Amiga but still couldn't become an expert!

When I buy a player, why does its value decreases in a few matches? Sometimes it increases (goalkeepers nearly everytime, I don't know why). What am I doing wrong?

And -this could be a silly question- when I shoot the fouls, the ball always hits the defensive wall. This is annoying, as the computer always shoots perfectly!

With your help I could still become a decent player!

Thanks in advance.

Old 29 September 2002, 19:43   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

My advice is pass, pass, and pass some more..

The secret to SWOS is learning where your players are at all times, and being able to pass accurately. If you master trhat then you'll master SWOS in no time.

As for free-kicks, don't play a shot, pass from the free kick and shoot from there, vary your style of play.

Learn how the computer plays, it is very predictable and can easily be overcome

Players values always decreased for me again apart from keepers, I think there must be a bug in the game
Old 29 September 2002, 19:55   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

As for player values, this didnt happen with me. There were players which value would decrease and others increase with time. I had once a player in my Rochadle team who was in "Trial".. he was always in my starting line, so he got a price: 20k . But then it went up, up, up, his value went for something like 450k

Pass, Pass, Pass is not always a good idea. If you only do that, you will end up with a lonely striker still in the midfield, with no one else to pass the ball. You have to know when to carry the ball and driblle. Learning where your players are is essential too.

As for shooting free-kicks, DON'T PULL into the direction of the goal, or you will ALWAYS hit the wall. Try to shoot without moving the joystick vertically (neither up or down), this way you make a "mid-lob", which sometimes can pass up the wall. To shoot, then push opposite direction makes a big lob, and may work if you are in a big distance from the goal. This needs to be trained or else you will kick the ball out of the stadium

And on free kicks, always aim as near to the post as possible.
Old 29 September 2002, 20:25   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

You are correct, you do obviously have to dribble, I was just trying to say, learn where your players are at all times so you can pass easily if need be.

I play a passing game, and I used to be able to do it extremely quickly and accurately, I am not saying I am brilliant at the games, but I rarely lost!

I play a quick game and the computer teams never figured it out, also with the easy corner goals, life was simple.. Human opponents could figure me out, but still struggled to beat me

This was all 3-4 years ago and unfortunately I have not kept up playing so am dog-sh!te now
Old 30 September 2002, 08:55   #5
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
All players' values decrease expect for the goalkeepers (if you're doing well; if he conceeds three goals per match his value will decrease as well) and the trial/reserve players. Even if your forward scores 5 goals per game (like mine ) his value will decrease eventually. I guess they wanted to make the game more interesting, as you are forced to make more transfers this way.
Old 30 September 2002, 11:04   #6
BippyM
Global Moderator

It could also be abug that was never ironed out!!
Old 30 September 2002, 12:54   #7
alkis21
Zone Friend

Doubtful, considering it was present in all SWOS versions.
Old 30 September 2002, 14:26   #8
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Evil grin Damn SWOS Bugs

No no no no no NO!

The player depreciation is definitely a bug. It was supposed to be ironed out with numerous updates on magazine cover disks (plus the original SWOS v1.1 update disk) but it was never really fixed. It's really annoying when you're star player and league top scorer drops by £5m.

The only players who really seem to increase in value are the reserve and trial players. If you get a good one keep playing him and his value can soar to over £1 million!

The reserve players are random in their skills so you never know how much they are really worth until you keep playing them. A big tick when you include them in the first team is usually a good indicator of how valuable a player is.

A few months ago I was playing a career with Real Madrid. I got a Midfield reserve player called Savo Zalazar. I couldn't believe it when he eventually peaked at an incredible £12 million!!

Amazing but very true. That's only happened to me once (and I've been playing SWOS for over 7 years) so it's very very rare.

Last edited by Steve; 04 September 2007 at 14:27.
Old 30 September 2002, 15:07   #9
BippyM
Global Moderator

Its a bug, and unless one of the development team tell me otherwise, then thats what I'll belive.

It makes no sense to have a football team like say Barcelona where the players are worth millions only to see them depreciate in value regardless of whether they win or lose.

It's frustrating and should have been ironed out immediately!

Does the PC version have this bug?
Old 30 September 2002, 22:49   #10
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I couldn´t play the PC version too much, the ball routines suck bad.

Sensible couldn´t never do ball physics in PC, as in Sensi Golf that´s also a bad thing.
Old 30 September 2002, 22:58   #11
blackcornflake

A player’s value does not always go down. It is not an exact science, but there are a number of contributing factors you can control.

A player needs consistency in selection. He must be picked regularly, and used in a role that is right for him. If you have not yet done so, edit your team’s tactics. Whilst working within the overall team framework, try to optimise them for the individuals that comprise that team. What is good for left winger ‘A’ may not be good for left winger ‘B’. Look for those ticks. If you make new signings, check to see how the new boy(s) fit in. If a player is not happy with his role, his value will be more likely to decrease. Consistency in performance is another more obvious factor. I personally think there is more to this than just forwards banging in six goals every week or whatever. The way you play is important too, almost as if there is an artistic merit award.

I suspect there are other calculations going on under the bonnet. (I remember AP’s preview of SWOS. There was a form indicator for each player in your team, represented by vertical bars, for the last five matches. Cool. It never made it to the final game though. I think they must have just made ‘form’ invisible to the player and left it to you to tell for yourself, like a real footie manager).

Anyway. Don’t worry unduly about a player’s ‘value’. The monetary value is only of relevance to the transfer market, and the club’s bank manager. It does not actually affect true ability one bit, for better or worse. The £15m barrier can be exceeded by a player in your team, by the way. I remember having an £18m Batistuta, for example.

As for scoring from free kicks – more info required, Ada. A screenshot would be great.
Old 30 September 2002, 23:44   #12
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
also with the easy corner goals, life was simple
This was only in Sensi International, not in SWOS. In SWOS, long diagonals shots made many goals for me

In SWOS you could also dribble the goalkeeper, something I never managed to do with Sensi International. I remember once playing against a friend, I just driblled his keeper TWICE in a row, and then I scored, just to annoy him (I was with Romario, who has INCREDIBLE ball control)

It was cool also when I was playing against friends, and I would pass the ball to my own keeper, and run the whole field with him and SCORE with my own keeper.

This wasn´t that easy to do, as keepers have shit ball control, and can´t shoot properly, but when it was done, it was just great. I love to humilate my friends
Old 01 October 2002, 08:50   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
This was only in Sensi International, not in SWOS. In SWOS, long diagonals shots made many goals for me
The corner scoring was present in SWOS, I did it regularly as I didn't play int sesi much!!

Long diagonals also worked as did straight shots with curve, they worked a treat for me
Old 01 October 2002, 10:13   #14
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Yeah, Long diagonal shots, and a staright shoot in the middle of goal, but adding some aftertouch in the last moment were always good ways to score.

But corner scoring is something I didn't see much in SWOS.

Maybe because I didn't play the FIRST version of SWOS, but the one who came later (The 1st version of it was never proper released here, we only got that ugly beta version)
Old 01 October 2002, 10:58   #15
alkis21
Zone Friend

Eek Re: Damn SWOS Bugs

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
A few months ago I was playing a career with Real Madrid. I got a Midfield reserve player called Savo Zalazar. I couldn't believe it when he eventually peaked at an incredible £12 million. Amazing but very true. That's only happened to me once (and I've been playing SWOS for 7 years) so it's very very rare.
WOW.. I've had one who peaked at £7 million, I didn't think they could get that high. Sometimes it also happens that a reserve or trial player gets better and better skillswise, although his price remains the same. I know because I use an editor to look at the skills points. (not change them though!)

Last edited by alkis21; 01 October 2002 at 11:06.
Old 01 October 2002, 11:35   #16
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Yeah, Long diagonal shots, and a staright shoot in the middle of goal, but adding some aftertouch in the last moment were always good ways to score.

But corner scoring is something I didn't see much in SWOS.

Maybe because I didn't play the FIRST version of SWOS, but the one who came later (The 1st version of it was never proper released here, we only got that ugly beta version)
I could pull corner scoring off 85% of the time in any version of swos, it's one of those moves that once you discover it you can do most the time, it was the discovery that was hard.

I have just gotten myself an a500 so might rekindle that love, then again now I have my Zipstick working on the PC i might have a crack in WinUAE later
Old 01 October 2002, 11:40   #17
alkis21
Zone Friend

That percentage could go up to 100% if you remembered to switch your attacker with a player with excellent heading stats.
Old 01 October 2002, 12:00   #18
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by alkis21
That percentage could go up to 100% if you remembered to switch your attacker with a player with excellent heading stats.
All my players had heading stats .. I wrote my own editor before SWOSED was available, so was cheating in 1995
Old 01 October 2002, 12:03   #19
alkis21
Zone Friend

Shame on you for cheating on such an easy game!
Old 01 October 2002, 12:50   #20
BippyM
Global Moderator

I only cheated for a while, there was more challenge in not cheating

Anyway it was more of a programming exercise, The editor was first finished in 1995, last update was in 2000 I think..

Oh well..