English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 September 2018, 22:03   #1
DH
Global Moderator

Scene GFX/Art for Printing & Framing

I've kinda been missing for some time, what with splitting up with the wife, moving out, blah! blah! blah! and have finally decided to put some of the better Amiga Scene GFX to good use.

I am calling these, as there'll ultimately be more than one, "The Amiga Collection" Example below at a much reduced resolution.

These will be printable to a 10x8 inch photographic paper size with the white 1" border as you can see above. All information like Title, Author/s handle, release and date will be added where possible.

Now this is where you guys come in cos I am stumped on a few that I can't find what or where they were released and dates of the release too.

• Author: Made - Artwork: Karvel
  • Author: Magicboy - Artwork: Georgina
  • Author: Razorback - Artwork: Vampyr
  • Author: Wade - Artwork: Caprice
  • Author: Ward - Artwork: Seduction
I'm aware that some may not have actual release dates, but whatever I, or rather you guys can help with, will make this collection worthwhile.

Obviously I'm also open to requests, however, the minimum width of the graphic must be no less than 640 pixels with an aspect ratio as close to 4:3 as possible and be no less than 72dpi. Basically VGA on an AGA chipset

Any help will be greatly appreciated.... Thanks

Please provide scene information regarding Authors, Titles & release dates etc, if you could also provide the original Artwork Author etc (unless the original is the scene author), then please state this clearly in your post. Thanks

Last edited by DH; 24 September 2018 at 13:12.
Old 12 September 2018, 12:06   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Author: Made - Artwork: Karvel
http://m4de.com/collections/AmigaGfxDemoArchive#60 2560 x 1920

Author: Magicboy - Artwork: Georgina
http://artcity.bitfellas.org/gallery...y/georgina.png 640x480 only

Author: Razorback - Artwork: Vampyr
http://artcity.bitfellas.org/gallery...ack/vampyr.png 800x600

Author: Wade - Artwork: Caprice
http://artcity.bitfellas.org/gallery/w/wade/caprice.png 640 x 512 only

Author: Ward - Artwork: Seduction
http://artcity.bitfellas.org/gallery.../seduction.png 640x480 only

Last edited by DDNI; 12 September 2018 at 12:28.
Old 12 September 2018, 16:55   #3
DH
Global Moderator

Thank you DDNI

However most from artcity.bitfellas.org don't have any release information (if there is any) or dates. I actually already have the images, just need the info. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my post #1, but thanks

Edit: Resolution changed to minimum width of 640 pixels, only because I think I was being a bit mean and I believe I was being a tad too restrictive.

Last edited by DH; 12 September 2018 at 17:48.
Old 18 September 2018, 16:24   #4
DH
Global Moderator

Firstly, sorry for the huge image, but in order to see the differences it needs to be full size

I now have a new method of blowing up the 320x256 Scene GFX/Art, example below:-

Left is the newest method and I think this is going to look quite well when printed. Not sure if it's viable with everything out there, but certainly the ones I have tried so far it works pretty well.

From an image of 320x256px to 2240x1792px I think it's done a damn good job and better than anything else I have tried, by a huge margin.
Old 18 September 2018, 17:50   #5
Gorf

So, what method did you use?
Old 18 September 2018, 18:03   #6
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
So, what method did you use?

Sorry, that's a trade secret. If I gave away all my secrets/ideas I wouldn't be where I am today. I learnt my lesson some years ago when people stole my ideas and made claim to them.

So I ain't giving anything away
Old 19 September 2018, 18:53   #7
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
Sorry, that's a trade secret. If I gave away all my secrets/ideas I wouldn't be where I am today.
according to your profile here:
"Location: In a Pub"

Quote:
I learnt my lesson some years ago when people stole my ideas and made claim to them.
So I ain't giving anything away
I was not aware you had any financial interest here ...

However, I would guess some variation of the 4xBR or Super-xBR algo is used here. Some infos about it.
Old 19 September 2018, 19:40   #8
Gorf

ok: here my try on the same picture with some neural network upscaling:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test2_waifu2x_art_noise3_scale_tta_1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	59875  
Old 19 September 2018, 19:50   #9
Gorf

And here with the mentioned xBR algorithm:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	xBR.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	59876  
Old 19 September 2018, 20:10   #10
Cherno

The one with the swordman, captive woman and fat guy on lizard is from Boris Vallejo, used for the cover of a novel titled "Tarnsman of Gor". I have a A4 print of the painting as part of a book on fantasy & scifi art.
Old 19 September 2018, 20:25   #11
Gorf

@ Cherno:
thanks for the info - now we can compare our upscaled versions to the actual image on the cover
I think DH's version is even better than the original!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	il_fullxfull.1003290797_hs5q.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	59877  
Old 19 September 2018, 20:48   #12
DH
Global Moderator

I have merely up-scaled the image from a 320x256 image called "Rink A Dink" or perhaps "Rink A Pink" (confusion via different sites) by Danny and Facet from the scene group Lemon, the graphic was released on the 14th August 1993 and came 1st in in the Somewhere In Holland 1993 Graphics competition. So I make absolutely no claim to the artwork at all other than enlarging it, it still belongs to Danny & Facet, so it isn't my artwork.

btw, I have a treat installed for you guys, when the video is rendered. A small bunch of Scene GFX semi-complete (missing the details), in a slideshow to show you guys what I'm up to. I'll reply here as soon as it's done and uploaded to my youtube account with a link

Last edited by DH; 21 September 2018 at 12:24.
Old 19 September 2018, 22:12   #13
DH
Global Moderator

Right, here's the video below, please remember, the images shown are not mine, nor is the mod playing in the video either. The GFX do not currently contain information about the author or the year/date of release or any other information. All GFX have had the DH enlargement touch so they're definitely printable, however, the image resolution in the video is far from print quality.

Remember, this is only a demonstration to what I am doing and what the images will look like, this is by no means a final product (I have 254 printable images to add the details too and that isn't going to happen overnight)

I hope you enjoy and remember, best viewed in 1080p

Oh, WARNING!!!, there are some nudes in this but I removed the more raunchier scene GFX as it's not really appropriate. You won't need to be signed in to view this as I haven't checked the adult content flag. << that should get me some extra hits

YouTube link deleted, new link on post #20

Last edited by DH; 23 September 2018 at 17:58.
Old 20 September 2018, 01:25   #14
Cherno

The painting of the woman with the futuristic rifle with laser sight ("Rendall") is by Luis Royo, titled "Bisectriz" (1992).
Old 20 September 2018, 08:48   #15
DH
Global Moderator

According to my source information, that Graphic by Rendall is called "Angelo F Death" which came 1st in the Rage 1996 Graphics competition, source Demozoo & Scene.org.

"Bisectriz" is not listed in either of my sources and I'd rather go with those sources because of their accuracies regarding the scene. Can you provide me with your source information Cherno?

Remember, I am after the scene information (GFX Titles, Authors & their release dates) and not the original Artist Author or Title. Although I am interested in that information and may add that to the prints too. Could you please state in your information whether it's scene author or original author/Artist please, as this will save time and confusion in getting the details I require.

Last edited by DH; 20 September 2018 at 09:31.
Old 20 September 2018, 09:07   #16
britelite

Quote:
"Bisectriz" is not listed in either of my sources and I'd rather go with those sources because of their accuracies regarding the scene. Can you provide me with your source information Cherno?
What he means is that the image (along with quite a lot of scene graphics) is a copy of someone else's work.

You might want to have a look at http://kameli.net/nocopy/index.html

EDIT: Here's a direct link to the image http://kameli.net/nocopy/noc153.htm

Last edited by britelite; 20 September 2018 at 09:12.
Old 20 September 2018, 09:24   #17
DH
Global Moderator

Yeah, I've already guessed that britelite, and yes I was already aware that the artworks are more likely to be copies of originals, but for my project I am generally after the Scene author, titles and release dates etc, but thanks for those links britelite

Quote:
EDIT: Please provide scene information regarding Authors, Titles & release dates etc, if you could also provide the original Artwork Author etc (unless the original is the scene author), then please state this clearly in your post. Thanks
Edit: I think I'm going to be uploading plenty of images to see if any of you guys can provide original artwork information, as I would like to add this information now I have had time to think about it.

Last edited by DH; 20 September 2018 at 09:48.
Old 20 September 2018, 11:25   #18
Cherno

I thought that using the word "painting" and giving the names of two of the most famous fantasy artists would be enough to indicate the original authors
Old 20 September 2018, 12:02   #19
DH
Global Moderator

Haha! Now I've re-read your post I see what you mean.
Old 21 September 2018, 15:40   #20
DH
Global Moderator

New video with the pictures finalised below. These are what I have done so far including information, however I still have 200+ to do so once again this is only an example like before

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by DH; 01 October 2018 at 21:08.