English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 July 2016, 03:41   #1
joethezombie

How do I get this A3000 up and going?

So I have recently received an A3000, and the SCSI HDD won't spin up. I need to replace it and i'd like to move away from old spinning drives. I see there is the SCSI2SD and I also can see that there is ACARD 7720 on eBay for a bit more money. It looks like the SCSI2SD is limited on speed to around 2MB/s, where the ACARD should max out at the interface speed, which I would connect to an CompactFlash.

But the main problem I have, is how do I get the install completed? I'm not sure the floppy drive works. Should I buy a floppy emulator? I have an iMac as my main computer, and a quick google search doesn't really show how to install workbench from OS X to the Amiga 3000.

Should I buy the ROM upgrade to 3.1 and buy the workbench disks? What are my best options here to get this system up and running?

And also, after I can get the workbench up, what is best for transferring files between OS X and the Amiga. I was thinking the XSurf100 and maybe the rapidroad add-on, but i read that there are some bugs with that setup.

Advice?
Old 11 July 2016, 04:59   #2
obitus1990

Upgrade the ROMs and buy the 3.1 floppies from a reputable online seller like amigakit, Vesalia, or amigastore. Many eBay ones are counterfeit,from what I've been reading. I use the scsi2sd and it works just fine. It's faster than the quantum scsi drive mine came with, at least for what I'm doing with it. It didn't require any drivers, and was detected by the hdtools program with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2016, 08:08   #3
spudje

Note that you can prepare your SD or CF with AmigaOS on a PC/Mac via an emulator and cardreader. So you don't really need a floppy to get that installed.
Old 13 July 2016, 17:08   #4
joethezombie

Ah thanks guys. I was looking at the ROMs to order, and I find the 3.1 ROMs from AmigaKit, but also some 3.x ROMs are available from Cloanto. Should I use the updated versions, or stick with 3.1?

My SCSI2SD came in today, so I'm going to try to get 2.x working on the SD card using UAE to prep the SD card. I'll let you know how it goes, and we can see if this machine works.

One other thing, I opened up the Amiga, and although the battery has been removed, there is some green powdery growth on the metal bits of the components in that area. I plan to lightly scrub it off with some acetone followed by 99% IPA and finally some contact cleaner.
Old 13 July 2016, 17:37   #5
idrougge

Stay away from 3.x.

Clean the green mess with acid (vinegar or citric acid), then with IPA. Upload a photo so that we can see if it needs further maintenance.
Old 13 July 2016, 17:39   #6
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethezombie View Post
Ah thanks guys. I was looking at the ROMs to order, and I find the 3.1 ROMs from AmigaKit, but also some 3.x ROMs are available from Cloanto. Should I use the updated versions, or stick with 3.1?

My SCSI2SD came in today, so I'm going to try to get 2.x working on the SD card using UAE to prep the SD card. I'll let you know how it goes, and we can see if this machine works.

One other thing, I opened up the Amiga, and although the battery has been removed, there is some green powdery growth on the metal bits of the components in that area. I plan to lightly scrub it off with some acetone followed by 99% IPA and finally some contact cleaner.
Before you put anything on the green fur, wash it off with Lemon Juice.
(Mobo out of the Chasis obviously)
Get the affected area scrubbed up with copius amounts of Lemon Juice and an old Medium Bristle Toothbrush. Soak & scrub gently to remove all traces of Leakage & then IPA the area off to finish. Blow off with an Airline if you can, but wear safety glasses & be safe.

I'd do the Official 3.1 ROM irrespective of Colanto's affair.

Best of luck with the refurb bud.

*edit* - idrougge just beat my post, but yeah Pics will help greatly if you want some reassurance.
Old 13 July 2016, 23:46   #7
TjLaZer

I have a set of KS 3.1 ROMs for the A3000 if you need a set. Guaranteed to work or you can send them back. Send me a PM
Old 15 July 2016, 04:09   #8
joethezombie

Thanks for the offer, TjLaZer. I wish I had read it earlier (you're a lot closer to Idaho than AmigaKit!), but I'd already ordered the ROMs.

Well, I'm having problems setting up the SD card for use with the SCSI2SD. I opened a new thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=1101242

Hoping someone can help me out over there. I'll take pictures of green fuzz this weekend when I break the machine down for cleaning.
Old 08 August 2016, 00:33   #9
joethezombie

Here is the area where the battery damage has occurred. This is after cleaning with vinegar, and chasing with 99% IPA.

A3000 Battery Damage

What do you guys think? What else should I do to the area to mitigate the damage? I also wanted to install a replacement CR2032 type battery board.
Old 08 August 2016, 01:44   #10
Cylon

This looks bad, even not at first sight. All surrounding components have green oxide on their pins, you need to desolder the whole area. soon. The VIAs look bad too. Don't go easy on this, it is a hefty job.