English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 28 September 2005, 11:35   #1
DamienD
Banned

Issue with Midnight Resistance...

Hello people,

Having some wierd issues with Midnight Resistance...

Basically after beating the first level boss, the music / sound effects go a bit funny. You then go into the weapons room and everything seems to echo ie. you grab a weapon of the wall and as soon as you get it you will hear "Weapon" ... "Weapon".

Also if you then reset the Amiga the game "guru" errors just after the title screen. You have to exit WinUAE completely and run the game again...

I downloaded all the cracked / trained versions and this seems to happen. I also tried using the quickstart config and numerous different configs (OCS, ECA Angus, Full ECS, different RAM) but nothing seems to correct either of the above issues.

Does anybody know what config is best to use for this game and how to fix the echo issue?

Old 30 September 2005, 11:04   #2
DamienD
Banned

Hmmm, managed to get hold of the .ipf version of this game and it does exactly the same thing...

It's really hard to get this working correctly. I tried at least 20 different configuration settings (OCS, ECA Angus, Full ECS, different RAM, different KickStarts) and still no concrete success. With the .ipf, instead of crashing after to title screen it continually loos back around and show the title screen again. I think I had it working 1 out of every 10 tries...

I'm all out of ideas on how to make this work... Has anybody else seen this or know how to fix it?
Old 30 September 2005, 17:38   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks to your post I found yet another stupid bug that was introduced in 0.9.90 betas.. -> how did you manage to load ipf version of Midnight Resistance? It should have frozen quickly after booting..

btw, sorry but I am too lazy to play it until weapon selection so can't help with your problem..
Old 30 September 2005, 19:20   #4
DamienD
Banned

Thanks for your reply Toni. I think I used the one of the following configurations:

...Full ECS, Exact Chipset, 2MB RAM, 1MB of Slow RAM...

...or

...Full ECS, Exact Chipset, 0.5MB RAM...

Basically it only worked 1 or 2 times out of 10.

Cool that you found a bug, will this get fixed in the next version of WinUAE.

Keep up the awesome work, excellent emulator.
Old 10 October 2005, 15:14   #5
DamienD
Banned

Hello Toni,

I've downloaded the new version of WinUAE (1.1.0) and also taken a look at the changelog. I noticed that in the changelog there is this fixed "Rare disk emulation bug introduced in 0.9.90."

I'm assuming that this is the "another stupid bug that was introduced in 0.9.90 betas" that you've fixed in the new version?

I tried loading Midnight Resitance (using Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr Angels][t +14 Thyrone]) but it still crashes...

Tonight I'm going to try the .ipf version and the other cracked / trained versions.

Should Midnight Resistance be working now?

Will let you know my findings tomorrow.

Old 11 October 2005, 14:07   #6
DamienD
Banned

Last night I tested every single .adf version available on planetemu and also the .ipf version. Unfortunatey all of them crash...

Tried the default config and loads of other various RAM / kickstart configs... Nothing helped.

Any suggestions?
Old 12 October 2005, 12:43   #7
DamienD
Banned

Has anybody esle experienced this with the .adf or .ipf version?

Does anybody have a config that works?

Old 12 October 2005, 21:36   #8
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

Is this CPU related?

I've have the Horizon/Silents 102% Version and just played it windowed. Throughout level 1 the CPU (as displayed by WinUAE) hovers around 30% to low 40% - After killing the level 1 boss it increases to around 70% until entering the weapons room where it hovers around 95-100%. After exiting the weapons and after it finishes loading level 2 it drops to the same 30-40% as level 1.

If i run a few other programs whilst in the weapons room the CPU (WinUAE) starts to increase over 100% and thats when the frame rate drops and the echoing sound you mention starts.
Old 13 October 2005, 12:05   #9
DamienD
Banned

Thank you for your reply CHook/OTT, much appreciated.

Your using this version "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr SSP][t +37 SSP]" hey.

Hmmm, I tried this one also but could only get it to actually load into the game 2 out of 10 times (like with all other versions)...

Could you get it to work consistently?

If you don't mind, could you post your configuration file?

Last edited by DamienD; 13 October 2005 at 12:33.
Old 13 October 2005, 20:05   #10
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Thank you for your reply CHook/OTT, much appreciated.

Your using this version "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr SSP][t +37 SSP]" hey.

Hmmm, I tried this one also but could only get it to actually load into the game 2 out of 10 times (like with all other versions)...

Could you get it to work consistently?

If you don't mind, could you post your configuration file?
Hi Damien,

Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr HZ - TSL] is the one i'm using and works all the time Will put the config file i'm use to run it in the zone for you now, See how you get on with that
Old 14 October 2005, 12:42   #11
DamienD
Banned

Thanks for the info CHook/OTT. Strange as I though I tried all versions.

Anyway, will try this tonight...

Last edited by DamienD; 14 October 2005 at 14:40.
Old 14 October 2005, 14:41   #12
DamienD
Banned

Just had the chance to test "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr HZ - TSL][t HZ].adf"...

You are right it works perfectly everytime.

Just very weird how every other version and .ipf doesn't work...

Anyway, don't really care now as there is a working version with unlimited lives trainer (although would be nice if one of the mega-trainer versions worked).

Last edited by DamienD; 14 October 2005 at 15:13.
Old 14 October 2005, 19:50   #13
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

Quote:
Just had the chance to test "Midnight Resistance (1990)(Ocean)[cr HZ - TSL][t HZ].adf"...

You are right it works perfectly everytime.

Just very weird how every other version and .ipf doesn't work...

Anyway, don't really care now as there is a working version with unlimited lives trainer (although would be nice if one of the mega-trainer versions worked).
Good stuff, Is a bit strange, I never tried any of the other cracked versions to be honest (used to have the original when i had my miggy) but noticed that the HZ-TSL version had a highscore saver - QUALITY
Old 14 October 2005, 20:25   #14
DamienD
Banned

Thanks again.
Old 02 November 2005, 21:26   #15
DamienD
Banned

Hey CHook/OTT,

Just did some testing. Tried setting the sound to "Enabled" instead of "Enabled, 100% accurate"... No more high CPU or echoing sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHook/OTT
Is this CPU related?

I've have the Horizon/Silents 102% Version and just played it windowed. Throughout level 1 the CPU (as displayed by WinUAE) hovers around 30% to low 40% - After killing the level 1 boss it increases to around 70% until entering the weapons room where it hovers around 95-100%. After exiting the weapons and after it finishes loading level 2 it drops to the same 30-40% as level 1.

If i run a few other programs whilst in the weapons room the CPU (WinUAE) starts to increase over 100% and thats when the frame rate drops and the echoing sound you mention starts.
Old 03 November 2005, 21:14   #16
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

Quote:
Hey CHook/OTT,

Just did some testing. Tried setting the sound to "Enabled" instead of "Enabled, 100% accurate"... No more high CPU or echoing sound.

Cheers for that Config files now changed, Is there a massive difference between those settings always had all my configs set to 100% accurate but all the configs i've downloaded in the past just seem to run on enabled - Jim Power is a bit more stable now aswell
Old 03 November 2005, 21:35   #17
DamienD
Banned

No problem, glad it works well for you also.

Check out my thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=20532 . I found that you need to change the sound to "Enabled" for Navy Seals also.

You say Jim Power is a bit more stable now. Haven't tried that game but will keep this setting in mind when I do...

All my 480 configs still have "Enabled, 100% accurate" set for sound though (except Midnight Resistance + Navy Seals of course). Have you changed all your config files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHook/OTT
Cheers for that Config files now changed, Is there a massive difference between those settings always had all my configs set to 100% accurate but all the configs i've downloaded in the past just seem to run on enabled - Jim Power is a bit more stable now aswell
Old 03 November 2005, 22:17   #18
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

Quote:
No problem, glad it works well for you also.

Check out my thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=20532 . I found that you need to change the sound to "Enabled" for Navy Seals also.

You say Jim Power is a bit more stable now. Haven't tried that game but will keep this setting in mind when I do...

All my 480 configs still have "Enabled, 100% accurate" set for sound though (except Midnight Resistance + Navy Seals of course). Have you changed all your config files?
I only have 4 config files for playing games:

1. A500 (OCS) 1 Meg Chip
2. A500 (ECS) 1 Meg Chip
3. A1200 (AGA) 2 Meg Chip
4. CD32

The Floppy based config files all have floppy speed set to 800% but some games don't load or crash at this speed, I usually remember which games run on what config or what needs altering but when i originally got WinUAE and the TOSEC collection as i was going through testing them (happy memories came flooding back a plenty) any games that wouldn't run on these basic configs i right clicked on the adf and went to properties and comment and put a note in the box as a refresher

The First Samurai (Use OCS - ECS has mixed results and gurus IIRC)
Walker (Drop floppy speed to 100% compatible - Loader stumbles on 800% and can't get past one point)
Bart Vs The *** SPACE MUTANTS *** (Requires Fast Ram)
D-Generation AGA (Requires CD32 pad)

Think Super Cars is another favourite that needs the floppy speed dropping and some early games don't like 1 Meg Chip Ram either so i just put a 512k reminder in the comment box

Jim Power - If i was running other programs this went a bit ape on the title screen just like the midnight resistance weapons room

And i still haven't got Morph AGA working
Old 03 November 2005, 22:29   #19
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Hi, Chook/OTT

what's your problem with Morph AGA, i've tested the SPS Original and the Fairlight crack, both workes fine for me.

Old 03 November 2005, 22:36   #20
CHook/OTT
Super Hang-On King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
Hi, Chook/OTT

what's your problem with Morph AGA, i've tested the SPS Original and the Fairlight crack, both workes fine for me.

How do Retro-Nerd

Morph AGA is a complete PITA i brought this up in another thread and onedevotee75 kindly attached a config file used to play the game but on my system the AGA & CD32 versions still return to Dos after the intro (Fairlight and CAPS versions) Strange indeedy