English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 January 2009, 14:24   #41
Stoilov

Hi bouht two Saitek joypad and connect wires as the image, one work perfectly, the other in windows show device not recognized. I note that could be a problem that the gnd and up wire is connected togheter, can i resolve the problem?
Old 18 January 2009, 01:58   #42
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Do you mean the two joypad PCBs are different, or you wired it differently?

PZ.
Old 18 January 2009, 13:54   #43
Stoilov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Do you mean the two joypad PCBs are different, or you wired it differently?

PZ.
The joypad are identically, i connect it in the same mode.
I sconnect all and try the pad as original, the problem is the same.
Old 18 January 2009, 18:28   #44
scubaguy

Just finished building my adaptor and would like to say a big thanks to Fingerlickin_B and alexkyriak for sharing all the information and pictures!

Did mine slightly different using other ideas I have seen around, the usb game controller is still fully usable and has a 9pin male dsub connector attached to plug in my old controllers. Just cost £1.19 for the male 9pin dsub from Maplin (RK60Q) and a bit of time. (Too cheap to buy a box lol).

I connected straight onto the PCB tracks, just gently scrape to expose the copper and then solder. This way it does not obstruct the buttons.

Alternatively if you prefer an enclosure and as mentioned by alexkyriak the PCB could be cut down as marked by the red lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga joystick mouse pin outs.JPG
Views:	7687
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	19857   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5352v2.JPG
Views:	596
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	19858   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5365.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	19859   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5368.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	19860   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5369.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	19861  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5370.JPG
Views:	464
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	19862  

Old 19 January 2009, 01:02   #45
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

@ Stoilov - Sounds like it's just a broken joypad then

@ Scubaguy - Very nice!

PZ.
Old 19 January 2009, 08:22   #46
Stoilov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
@ Stoilov - Sounds like it's just a broken joypad then

@ Scubaguy - Very nice!

PZ.
I think so.
Old 19 January 2009, 11:23   #47
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Bummer hey, but at least you have one working

PZ.
Old 19 January 2009, 14:22   #48
alexkyriak

@ Scubaguy - Awesome dude. Very neat, like it alot! Think I might try another one like this, keeps everything compact. Like the trick with connecting midway along the pcb track.

Anyone seen/used one of these things? It's giving me an idea about multiple controllers. http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

@ Stoilov - sorry to hear that, do you have a photo of the one that doesn't work?

@ Saqquara - how's progress, chief?

Alex
Old 19 January 2009, 19:55   #49
scubaguy

Thanks for the nice comments gents!

Old 21 January 2009, 23:49   #50
alexkyriak

two more of those gamepad thingies turned up on my doorstep this morning....

now I just need to figure out what to do with them...
Old 22 January 2009, 08:40   #51
Saqqara

@ alexkyriak

I did post an update about a week ago, or thought I did, must have previewed and not posted. Anyway I couldn't get my zipstick from my brothers until last week and had no other way to test it out so waiting for the helping hands thingy wasn't a big problem although the guy I ordered it from did mess me around. I have had a go at soldering direct onto the tracks like Scubaguy but as I said my soldering isn't good and I'm having problems, the sparky at work reckons I'm not getting it hot enough. Waiting has probably been a good thing anyway as normally I would have jumped on it and mucked it up. I tested the pad before opening it so if it doesn't work I know I've done something wrong and I will definately finish it this weekend.

Later....
Saqqara

Old 22 January 2009, 16:06   #52
Saqqara

@ scubaguy
An excellent post with the pics and added to the great info/pics provided by alexkyriak and Fingerlickin_B makes it all much easier,I must say you are a friendly bunch here .

@ alexkyriak

the link to the Ultimarc controller looks good but if you scroll down on the link I posted http://denki.world3.net/ there are pinouts for a triple atari adapter. If you can make one of those I would think it would be much cheaper and more satisfying.

Later....
Saqqara

Old 10 February 2009, 23:52   #53
Saqqara

Hi All,

Well it's finally finished and works like a charm, I would post pictures but my soldering looks like crap. When I finally got all the bits together and enough time it wasn't too bad and if I can do it anyone can.

I have only use it on my C64 emulator so far, had to solder onto button 1, 2, or 3, I chose 4 and had to redo it I have played Boulder dash with my trusty old Zipstick ah! nostalgia, wish I could bottle it I would be worth millions . I think I saw somewhere that it needed an extra wire and resistor for autofire but it worked without on the Zipstick.

Only thing I'm not happy about is the size so I'm on the lookout for another pad I can cut down smaller and get a smaller box for it. I may add another board into the box I already have so I can batter my brother on Kick off again .

Later....
Saqqara

Old 17 February 2009, 17:33   #54
filmjölkszombin
Banned

it says Stelladaptor is for atari joysticks does it work with amiga joysticks to?
Old 17 February 2009, 23:39   #55
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Yes indeed

PZ.
Old 22 February 2009, 14:44   #56
alexkyriak

Big grin

Come on Saqqara just one photo.....
Old 23 October 2010, 18:48   #57
dash

Hi guys. I'm going to have a go at this myself. I've never soldered anything in my life, so this could go horribly wrong!!

Anyway, I've bought the Saitek Impact gamepad from Ebay; that was £3.95 including postage.

I'll probably just buy the 9 pin D-SUB from Maplins and have it sent. Could someone confirm the part number? There's an RK60Q "D-Range 9 Way Plug", and there's an RK61R "D-Range 9 Way Skt". I presume I need the latter?

On one of the links posted earlier (http://www.vilminko.net/henri/projvi...?id=19&lang=en), I noticed this:

Quote:
Note: Most computers that have Atari joystick ports provide +5 volts on the pin 7 of the D-sub connector to power autofire circuits. If you want to use the autofire function present on some joysticks, you have to connect D-sub pin 7 with the pin 10 on the IC, inserting a small resistor for safety.
Prowler said this earlier in the thread:

Quote:
... Pin 7 on both connectors supplies +5 Volts DC (50 mA), and this pin should ONLY be connected if power from it is required by the external device.
Forgive me for being immensely stupid, but does this mean I should connect it, or not? (The joystick I'm intending to actually use is the QuickShot Python 1 - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37133.)

Thanks.
Old 24 October 2010, 13:41   #58
dash

Anyone?

I'm a bit confused because scubaguy said earlier that he bought the RK60Q, but that's the 9-pin D-SUB plug, and I thought I needed the socket!? Can someone confirm?

Here's the Maplin link:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1113

Thanks.
Old 28 October 2010, 23:33   #59
heerschop

I also build my own joystick adapter. For the first one I used ppjoy and a home made plug to connect the joystick to the parallel port.
This works great but your comp has to have a parallel port. Also ppjoy has to be updated to support new operating systems.
Inspired by scubaguy I tried to make my own joystick to usb adapter. Went out to buy a cheap usb gamepad and added a db9 connector.
It works great. No need to install drivers, just plug in and play.
Used a Thrustmaster firestorm digital 3 gamepad and a db9 connector. Build the db9 inside the gamepad. This way I can still use the gamepad.
Thanks for this great idea.

Greetings,
Ben
Old 29 October 2010, 04:46   #60
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

I wouldn't bother connecting pin 7.

You need the socket to plug your joystick into.

PZ.