English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 24 February 2019, 01:06   #1
arcanist

Seamless transition from Intuition Screen to View

The title screen of my game uses an Intuition screen. The game itself runs with Forbid and uses its own copperlist with LoadView (and later poking COP1LCx directly). I'm trying to make the transition between the two flicker-free.

The DIWSTRT/DIWSTOP/DDFSTRT/DDFSTOP parameters in my copperlist do not match the one's in the screen's ViewPort. This causes a change in the display output and consequently a few seconds switching delay on my monitor.

Is it possible to attach my own ViewPort to the Intuition screen with custom display window/fetch? I use CUSTOMBITMAP already so setting the bitplane pointers correctly is easy. Something like replace Screen.ViewPort.DspIns and MakeScreen()? (I'm not sure who would free the old copperlist.)

Or is there a better way to achieve this?
Old 24 February 2019, 15:58   #2
phx
Natteravn

Sounds like a problem with your monitor, which may not be present at that extent on other monitors or not at all on a 1084 CRT, for example.

Maybe fading the colors to black before switching helps, as an easy solution?

The better solution would be to start with a non-intuition title screen, when you decide to make your own copperlist later anyway.
Old 24 February 2019, 17:28   #3
arcanist

I expect a CRT would handle the switch much better. My old GPM1701 was near enough instantaneous with any mode switch. In FS-UAE there's a barely visible flicker when the display window/fetch parameters change. It's about three seconds on my BenQ via RGB-VGA adapter.

I think you're right that avoiding Intuition would be a better idea. My concern was to make requesters triggered by I/O visible, but after Googling I found that setting Process->pr_WindowPtr to -1 suppresses them.

So I think I can make a high priority input handler to handle/absorb events and LoadView my copperlist in. Disk I/O would still work in the background.