English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 December 2018, 17:31   #21
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

The onboard IDE of an A1200 is pretty slow, but it should be at least acceptable. I looked through the thread and did not see which IDE2SD converter you are using. I know some have issues, and some don't work at all. How big is your Workbench partition? I still keep mine below 4 Gigs just because FFS does have to do some checking on boot, and bigger drives take a little longer. 4 Gigs boot partition, then a nice big data partition works great for me. If you run sysinfo or something similar, you should see somewhere around 1.3Mbs to 2 Mbs data transfer with an expanded A1200 like yours. If you are getting a lot less, something else is wrong.
Old 10 December 2018, 18:22   #22
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Full format not recommended for SFS and PFS. Manual says quick format should do.
Old 10 December 2018, 18:35   #23
Jope
-

Full format is not recommended for any partition that is above the 4GB barrier, if you run an older version of the OS. And it's rather pointless anyway.
Old 03 May 2020, 18:18   #24
DesktopDynamite

Hello, am trying to do the same, bought a 256GB SD card, Sandisk v30, 95MB/s XC class 10.

My question is how did you manage to partition it and being recognized into the actual Amiga?

What file system did you use?

I tried both FFS and PFS. And since you have the ACA and 128MB fast RAM it will let you format the rest of the partitions, whilst I have the Apollo 1260 with 65Mb, it will prompt me a message of out of memory error.

Using WinUAE I can partition it and of course all partitions are recognized. On the actual Amiga, it shows DH1 and rest as uninitialized, or unreadable. And even when splitted using FFS into 5x partitions, DH2 and rest cannot be formatted due to seek error.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04 May 2020, 11:35   #25
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesktopDynamite View Post
Hello, am trying to do the same, bought a 256GB SD card, Sandisk v30, 95MB/s XC class 10.

My question is how did you manage to partition it and being recognized into the actual Amiga?

What file system did you use?

I tried both FFS and PFS. And since you have the ACA and 128MB fast RAM it will let you format the rest of the partitions, whilst I have the Apollo 1260 with 65Mb, it will prompt me a message of out of memory error.

Using WinUAE I can partition it and of course all partitions are recognized. On the actual Amiga, it shows DH1 and rest as uninitialized, or unreadable. And even when splitted using FFS into 5x partitions, DH2 and rest cannot be formatted due to seek error.

Thanks in advance.
This thread is over two years old fella.

Read here: CF / SD and large drives FAQ

Also here: Using a Compact Flash card on a600/a1200 IDE
Old 04 May 2020, 11:38   #26
DesktopDynamite

Hi,

I know, but perhaps original poster @amiga noob might explain what he did in the end to try it on mine.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 04 May 2020, 12:17   #27
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesktopDynamite View Post
Hi,

I know, but perhaps original poster @amiga noob might explain what he did in the end to try it on mine.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
If your First Partition is or is less than 4GB, then you will see it without another FileSystem installed. Anything after 4GB & you need to have a FileSystem installed on the Drive so the OS can see the partitions. Once you have this in place correctly, you should be able to Format the rest of the Partitions.

There are loads of links via Google about this. Even some demo's on YouTube.