English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 June 2018, 14:17   #1
hiroshima

Blizzard SCSI Kit-IV HDD boot problem

Hi,

This is Mauro from Italy.

I have a singular problem with my A1200 equipped win an 1230-IV and a Blizzard SCSI expansion.

I prepared a 32Gb CF with WinUAE with 3 partitions (1st one within the first 1024 cyl limit) using PFS3AIOds latest rev (v19). I prepared it with HDToolBox and modified ToolType (1230scsi.device - v8.5).

I am unable to boot the CF in SCSI chain WITHOUT another CF card (even without an Amiga compatible partition - right now FAT32 formatted...) connected to onboard IDE.

Without a CF connected to the IDE port, the CF connected to the SCSI2IDE adapter simply isn't recognized and the A1200 restarts over and over.

Can someone help me?

Kindly,

M.
Old 05 June 2018, 20:17   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you mean you formatted it in WinUAE using emulated Blizzard SCSI Kit IV? Or normal UAE controller? Does it boot in UAE controller (if partitioned using SCSI Kit) or emulated SCSI kit? (if partition using UAE controller).

Without any other harddrives connected and using unit 0. (to match real hardware config).

btw, there is no 1024 cylinder limits with pfs3aio. Boot partition can be as large as HD controller supports. (which is about 2T with Blizzard SCSI in direct scsi mode)
Old 05 June 2018, 20:31   #3
hiroshima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Do you mean you formatted it in WinUAE using emulated Blizzard SCSI Kit IV? Or normal UAE controller? Does it boot in UAE controller (if partitioned using SCSI Kit) or emulated SCSI kit? (if partition using UAE controller).

Without any other harddrives connected and using unit 0. (to match real hardware config).

btw, there is no 1024 cylinder limits with pfs3aio. Boot partition can be as large as HD controller supports. (which is about 2T with Blizzard SCSI in direct scsi mode)
Hi Toni,

Thanks for the reply.

I have to say that WInUAE is a great piece of software!

Anyway, I prepared the CF emulating the Blizzard SCSI controller (using a legit v8.5 ROM downloaded from a1k site). I haven't tried yet to boot the CF using UAE controller.

I know that PFS3 doesn't have a cyl limit, I mentioned it just to say that first partition is 528Mb in size.

Somewhere I red that my problem could be related to the filesystem not written in the RDB, so the machine on startup reads the filesystem from the IDE drive but in my case the IDE CF is right now FAT32 formatted....

M.
Old 05 June 2018, 20:32   #4
hiroshima

Some additional infos:

I installed ClassicWB on the IDE2SCSI CF and in the S-S sequence I added C:softscsi to soft-update onboard BlizzardSCSI ROM to the 8.5 release (originally v8.2).

Even though I prepped the CF with PFS3AIO filesystem under WinUAE, when I use it in the A1200, after a successful boot (with a CF card connected to the IDE port), in HDToolBox (1230scsi.device in Tool Type) -> Partition Drive -> Add/Update -> Update Filesystem, it reports l:FastFyleSystem and NOT l:PFS3AIO. Is this normal?

Of course I've put both PFS3AIO and PFS3AIO-CUSTOM in L.

M.
Old 05 June 2018, 21:49   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Did you set correct dostype for PFS3 in hdtoolbox?
Old 06 June 2018, 05:28   #6
hiroshima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Did you set correct dostype for PFS3 in hdtoolbox?
Hi Toni,

I used PDS/3 0x50445303, MASK 0xFFFFFFFC, Max Transfer 0xFFFFFF (both values officially suggested by Phase 5).

M.
Old 06 June 2018, 07:48   #7
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiroshima View Post
Without a CF connected to the IDE port, the CF connected to the SCSI2IDE adapter simply isn't recognized and the A1200 restarts over and over.
What happens if you start with both CF cards disconnected? Does it show the insert-disk screen?

If it also reset-loops without anything at the SCSI bus, then your A1200 probably has an issue with the IDE bus and it has nothing to do with the partitioning of your SCSI CF card.

While it does this reset loop, are you able to enter the early startup menu? Which drives are shown in the menu? Are you able to boot if you disable some drives?

Are you able to boot from floppy?
Old 06 June 2018, 08:39   #8
hiroshima

@thomas

I will check everything this evening when will back home from work.

M.
Old 06 June 2018, 09:55   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Try also inserting empty (or PC partitioned) CF in SCSI adapter. Does it still keep reseting?
Old 06 June 2018, 21:01   #10
hiroshima

Good evening guys.

I made a couple of tests:

Quote:
What happens if you start with both CF cards disconnected? Does it show the insert-disk screen?
- Without both CF, it shows KS screen.

Quote:
While it does this reset loop, are you able to enter the early startup menu? Which drives are shown in the menu? Are you able to boot if you disable some drives?
I am able to enter Startup Menu ONLY when the IDE CF is used. This is my Boot Screen:

https://imgur.com/a/n8qL4h

IF I disable from that menu the CC0 (which I think it's the IDE CF card - it's the PCMCIA...), then the machine boots with the SCSI attached CF just fine....

Is it a matter of boot sequence?

Quote:
Try also inserting empty (or PC partitioned) CF in SCSI adapter. Does it still keep reseting?
If I use a FAT32 formatted CF with the SCSI adapter, then the computer shows KS screen. I haven't tried whit a CF without partitions.

Kindly,

Mauro

Last edited by hiroshima; 07 June 2018 at 16:07.
Old 07 June 2018, 16:07   #11
hiroshima

Hi,

Made some other tests...

CC0 it's actually the PCMCIA. I tried to modify boot priority on the SCS2IDE CF with the same result.

I confirm the I can't enter Early Boot Menu without the IDE CF inserted.

For now, I just PFS3 formatted the IDE CF (4Gb) and I will use it as additional storage.

M.