English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 June 2018, 12:52   #241
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I was (of course) at Retrospelsmässan last weekend, didn't read this until now, so I must have missed you. Were you in the big hall or the smalller one with the pinball machines and indie games?
Damn, I was in the smaller one with pinball machines and indie games, me and my brother demoed our game Thy Sword. It was very hot in that hall, but it was fun!
Old 07 June 2018, 16:28   #242
DanielAllsopp

Received my gamepad yesterday and have just got around to testing it today; it works perfectly with everything I've tried so far on my A4000.

Thanks a lot, MickGyver, brilliant work!
Old 07 June 2018, 18:09   #243
eteP

Got my controller today, has worked perfectly with everything I've thrown at it so far. My humble thanks!
Old 07 June 2018, 22:34   #244
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

I'm useless at electronics - tendinitis has robbed me of any fine motor control - but I would love to purchase one or two of these from you when you have the time.
Old 08 June 2018, 05:03   #245
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Mickguver I just got mine back with firmware 1.01.
Works great without lowlevel.library, all buttons are recognised, but 2 button mode is a no go (A1200 1.D4).
Maybe I ought to to try another power supply ? (I have 2 more A500 "light A500 bricks to try".
Old 08 June 2018, 09:17   #246
DanyPPC

Try to use a standard 3A A600/1200 power supply.
Old 08 June 2018, 09:58   #247
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirminator2k View Post
I'm useless at electronics - tendinitis has robbed me of any fine motor control - but I would love to purchase one or two of these from you when you have the time.
You are on my list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Mickguver I just got mine back with firmware 1.01.
Works great without lowlevel.library, all buttons are recognised, but 2 button mode is a no go (A1200 1.D4).
Maybe I ought to to try another power supply ? (I have 2 more A500 "light A500 bricks to try".
You can always give it a try. Your issue with two button mode not working is strange, that mode should be a "no brainer" for the gamepad. Is the red button working normally in two button mode for you (my memory tells me it is)? I'm trying to think what could cause this from the Amiga side.

1. If both red and blue buttons don't work when two button mode should be activated, then I suspect pin 5 of the joystick port is always pulled LOW for some reason, forcing the controller into CD32 mode.

2. If red button works but blue button doesn't work in two button mode then it seems like the LOW signal coming from the controller on joystick port pin 9 is unable to pull the pin low enough to trigger a button press.

I'm now looking at some CD32 gamepad reading routines and they seem to configure pin 9 as input when reading buttons but afterwards pin 9 is configured as output?? Is pin 9 configured as output by default? That would be weird since it should be an input mostly (button 2). I will ask about this in the hardware forum.

Have you tested a two button game (for example Project X) without testing a CD32 mode game/tool first? I'm sure you have but it would be interesting to know there is a difference.
Old 08 June 2018, 12:32   #248
spudje

I have a USB blaster for my vampire, could I use that for flashing the controller too? And should I wait for a later version than the 1.01?
Old 08 June 2018, 13:16   #249
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
I have a USB blaster for my vampire, could I use that for flashing the controller too? And should I wait for a later version than the 1.01?
No you need and USBAsp or similar to program the Atmega processor, like this one: USBAsp on ebay. You will also need some dupont female-female wires: Dupont wires on eBay

No need to wait for a later version.
Old 09 June 2018, 01:00   #250
pgovotsos

Are all of the parts on the latest version (aside from the leads to the controller buttons of course) SMD or is it a mix of SMD and through hole? In the full kit, is the controller and 9 pin cable included and is the 9 pin adapter already attached to the cable? Basically is actually everything needed is included in the kit and all that I would have to do was solder it together? Like squirminator2k I have lost most of the fine control to do much hand soldering so I'm hoping it is all SMD so I can just stick it in the reflow oven

Are you still limiting assembled controller to one per person? I'd be interested in 4 - 6. Could you please add me to the list for either 6 fully assembled or 1 fully assembled and 5 full kits? Thanks!
Old 09 June 2018, 01:53   #251
eXeler0

Received mine, very nice looking gamepad. Even came in a nice box ;-)
Old 09 June 2018, 23:26   #252
comp1demon

How close am I on the list? Inquired a while back...
Old 10 June 2018, 13:51   #253
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
Are all of the parts on the latest version (aside from the leads to the controller buttons of course) SMD or is it a mix of SMD and through hole? In the full kit, is the controller and 9 pin cable included and is the 9 pin adapter already attached to the cable? Basically is actually everything needed is included in the kit and all that I would have to do was solder it together? Like squirminator2k I have lost most of the fine control to do much hand soldering so I'm hoping it is all SMD so I can just stick it in the reflow oven
Two components (capacitor and ferrite bead) + the six optional pin headers for programming are through hole, the rest of the components are SMD. Everything you need is included in the full kit, the cable needs to be soldered to the PCB, the 9pin connector doesn't require soldering, it looks like a normal joystick cable connector (welded). The Atmega processor comes pre-programmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgovotsos View Post
Are you still limiting assembled controller to one per person? I'd be interested in 4 - 6. Could you please add me to the list for either 6 fully assembled or 1 fully assembled and 5 full kits? Thanks!
At the moment I'm still limiting assembled controllers to one, I will add you to the list for 1+5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Received mine, very nice looking gamepad. Even came in a nice box ;-)
Glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comp1demon View Post
How close am I on the list? Inquired a while back...
Very close, I will probably message you tomorrow about this.
Old 10 June 2018, 16:27   #254
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
Have you tested a two button game (for example Project X) without testing a CD32 mode game/tool first? I'm sure you have but it would be interesting to know there is a difference.
Yup, only Red button works.
WHDLoad games with added CD32 controls works as long as lowlevel.library isn't needed.
Not a big deal, I can live with that.
Old 10 June 2018, 21:40   #255
-Acid-

One arrived the other day just testing it now. For some reason I cannot get this to work as a 2 button or a CD32 pad on the A1200.. I had hoped it would work as a 2 button pad in the likes of Project X and so Up could be mapped to a button to use as jump in platformers.

Even games that let you pick CD32 pad from the options are not playing nicely such as Super Street Fighter 2, Xtreme Racing (if you select CD32 pad here you then cannot register any button presses again), Roadkill is having none of it either. Earlier in the thread I mentioned Outfall where it only uses one button but on a real CD32 pad it didn't register, it's the same with this pad.

I will have to get out my CD32 and play real CD32 versions I guess

It's a massive shame it won't work as a 2 button as the pad itself feels lovely the buttons and d-pad are really crisp, it would be the perfect Amiga pad if these issues could somehow be resolved.

@MickGyver this thread might interest you as this guy seems to think he was onto something a few years ago

https://assemblergames.com/threads/a...rations.47660/
Old 10 June 2018, 22:19   #256
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
One arrived the other day just testing it now. For some reason I cannot get this to work as a 2 button or a CD32 pad on the A1200.. I had hoped it would work as a 2 button pad in the likes of Project X and so Up could be mapped to a button to use as jump in platformers.

Even games that let you pick CD32 pad from the options are not playing nicely such as Super Street Fighter 2, Xtreme Racing (if you select CD32 pad here you then cannot register any button presses again), Roadkill is having none of it either. Earlier in the thread I mentioned Outfall where it only uses one button but on a real CD32 pad it didn't register, it's the same with this pad.

I will have to get out my CD32 and play real CD32 versions I guess

It's a massive shame it won't work as a 2 button as the pad itself feels lovely the buttons and d-pad are really crisp, it would be the perfect Amiga pad if these issues could somehow be resolved.

@MickGyver this thread might interest you as this guy seems to think he was onto something a few years ago

https://assemblergames.com/threads/a...rations.47660/
I'm sorry the controller is not working on your A1200. I have read that thread several times and the KTRL is made according to those specs, thanks for the heads-up though. I have read everything there is about the CD32 gamepad on the Internet it feels like.

The KTRL has been confirmed to work on several A1200 1D4 machines, it works on my 1A and 1B. A4000 and A500 seems ok, CD32 ok. But some, including you, have problems with the controller on the A1200 (so far 1D4 and 2B). I'm currently out of ideas why this could be. It has probably something to do with signal integrity (joystick port contact issue, capacitors, power supply etc.)

I have studied the schematics for the various Amiga machines, all other Amigas except A600 and A1200 have ferrite beads to remove high frequency noise from the joystick port signals (pins 5,6, 9). A600 and A1200 have 68? resistors instead, I wonder if this could be a reason for the A1200 being more "picky"?

I don't have access to a A1200 that I know the controller is not working on so I'm unable to troubleshoot any more at this point...

Last edited by MickGyver; 10 June 2018 at 22:58.
Old 11 June 2018, 13:59   #257
-Acid-

Actually i've just realised a mistake I was testing it out on my A4000. So far it is behaving exactly the same as official CD32 pads for me so I would say you've managed to make it exactly the same as those lol

Is there any way you could program in a two button mode that we'd have to switch to ourselves (with button presses the way the turbos are activated)? That would be awesome.
Old 11 June 2018, 15:39   #258
MickGyver

Quote:
Actually i've just realised a mistake I was testing it out on my A4000. So far it is behaving exactly the same as official CD32 pads for me so I would say you've managed to make it exactly the same as those lol
Can you define "behaving exactly as official CD32 pads", does that mean it isn't working on your A4000?

Quote:
Is there any way you could program in a two button mode that we'd have to switch to ourselves (with button presses the way the turbos are activated)? That would be awesome.
The KTRL have the same buffer chip that the original gamepad has so I can't make an alternative two button mode I'm afraid, at least not with the current design. The two button mode relies on getting the proper signal on pin 5 (it controls two button mode/cd32 mode). I'm guessing that the problem is with pin 9 (second button signal/ cd32 button data), the buffer chip sets the pin to 5V when there is no button press and GND when there is a button press. For a normal joystick when the button is not pressed the pin is "floating" (no connection), when pressed it is grounded.
Old 11 June 2018, 21:37   #259
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
Can you define "behaving exactly as official CD32 pads", does that mean it isn't working on your A4000?
I mean games that dont recognise your pad or won't work in 2 button or CD32 mode do exactly the same thing with the official CD32 pad for me.
Old 11 June 2018, 21:56   #260
MickGyver

Quote:
I mean games that dont recognise your pad or won't work in 2 button or CD32 mode do exactly the same thing with the official CD32 pad for me.
Ok, that's interesting to know. I would really like to find a solution to that. I asked in a Finnish Facebook group if somebody near me have A1200 machines I could use to test the gamepad on. Hopefully I will find more machines to test on and, perhaps, find a solution.