English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 28 May 2016, 09:31   #1
Brick Nash
Prototron

Problems installing Ultimate Blitz CD

Hi folks, if I'm in the wrong bit please feel free to move me to the right section.

I'm trying to install Blitz Basic 2.1 but I'm having an absolute c**t of a time trying to get it on my virtual hard drive and I just don't know enough about how the Amiga works to get on as I'm a bit of a noob.

I downloaded the Ultimate Blitz Basic CD and then mounted it in Daemon tools.

I then fired up WinUAE and added the virtual drive ( H: )as a directory and I also checked the 'Add PC Drives at Startup'. I then went into workbench and the virtual drive was there so I began the install but it keeps asking me to insert the BlitzCD in any drive but it's there and it's how I'm installing in the first place.

I got it to work yesterday (somehow) by the same method but I just kept getting a load of software failures and write protect notices when trying to install. I've got enough memory/RAM etc set too.

I'm quite new to Amiga coding. I started learning Amos a few days ago and I got it to install first time no problem and I want to give Blitz a try so I can decide which path to take but I'm really starting to get put off by this installation process as the help files just pretty much say 'click the install icon' and that's it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 28 May 2016, 09:49   #2
Cylon

You can use the CD/DVD option at the bottom of HD/CD page in WinUAE. Change it from <automatic> to <image file> then choose it and there you go.
Old 28 May 2016, 10:08   #3
Brick Nash
Prototron

Thanks for the reply.

That worked a treat but it's now asking me to insert volume Blitz2 in any drive. Blitz2 is a folder which is on the virtual CD but doesn't seem to be recognised and I don't know how to insert it. I tried setting it as a directory but that doesn't work.

Sorry for these really daft questions, it's very frustrating and embarrassing having to ask but the help file doesn't mention any of this.
Old 28 May 2016, 10:12   #4
idrougge

http://www.david-mcminn.co.uk/blitz-...ubbinstall.lha

http://www.david-mcminn.co.uk/blitz-...install.readme
Old 28 May 2016, 10:20   #5
Cylon

What did you try? Install or update?

Blitz2: is the usual "drive" if you already have a version of Blitz2 installed somewhere.

When you install it, it creates an assign
Assign Blitz2: YourHD:Progr/...../Blitz2:
Assign Blitzlibs: Blitz2:Blitzlibs/

in s:user-startup

Just use the provided Installer.

Edit: Thanks, idrougge.
Old 28 May 2016, 10:46   #6
Brick Nash
Prototron

Thanks for the replies folks I really appreciate it but I think I've had it with this program.

I finally managed to get the install going by extracting the files from the virtual drive to a directory and used the newly downloaded installer to point to that and it seemed to be working. Then it said a file couldn't be installed because of write protection though it looked like the install finished anyway but when I clicked on the Blitz icon after the install had finished it just told me to insert volume Blitz 2 again and at that point I nearly threw the computer out the window.

I tried to delete the drawer and start over again but it wouldn't let me so I tried another install but I got a software failure. I exited and Restarted WinUAE completely but it's STILL not letting me delete the drawer yet it says in the information that it's writeable and deletable.

Sorry but I've been trying to install this since last night but It's just not working and I'm so frustrated I could scream.

I have some floppy images of Blitz 2.1 but they don't have any HD install options on them so can someone point me to some .adf's that do as it says in the help file of ultimate that it is possible to install from disk.

Many thanks for all the help!
Old 28 May 2016, 10:54   #7
Cylon

Create an ADF in Winuae, insert it, the copy the contens(!) of the Blitz2 folder from the CD to this "disk".
Name the disk Blitz2:

Try then to istall.

I should mention i never used the istaller, as i was in the developer list back in the days and therefore i updated my install step by dtep every other year or so.
Old 28 May 2016, 11:10   #8
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
Create an ADF in Winuae, insert it, the copy the contens(!) of the Blitz2 folder from the CD to this "disk".
Name the disk Blitz2:
Ahhh this worked. Great, thanks so much!

I'm getting an error message on startup though which says "Library not found $FFFA". I think it may have had something to do with the file that didn't work during the install.

Apart from that it seems to work fine!

EDIT: Actually, now when I run the compiler I get the 'Library not found' error too and when I try to re-install I get software failures and I still can't delete the Blitz drawer to make a fresh install.

EDIT EDIT: The Library not found error doesn't happen when I put in the Blitz 2.1 program disk image.Is there something in it that I can copy to somewhere?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Well I managed to get everything deleted then I made a drawer and copied everything over from the CD drive and then I replaced the old installer with the new one. Everything seemed to work fine then I got an error message during install saying ROMULUSREQUESTLIB.OBJ couldn't be copied due to some wrote protect issue. The Installer just stopped then. I went to the folder it created to install stuff in and clicked on the icon to see if it worked.

AGAIN it asked for volume Blitz 2 and when I put in the custom Blitz2 floppy it said Library not found when the program loaded up

I'm sorry, but this is way too much hassle for one program. Is there a way to install from floppy?

Last edited by Brick Nash; 28 May 2016 at 15:43.
Old 28 May 2016, 19:33   #9
Daedalus

Have you tried using the updated installer that idrougge linked to? I've used that with the Ultimate Blitz CD and had no problems since it fixes issues with the original installer on the CD. Also, when installing remember to delete the previous installation.

Also, when the CD is mounted on the Windows side the protection bits get messed up, so you're better off mounting it from the Amiga/UAE side. This should get rid of the write protected files issue.
Old 31 July 2018, 08:50   #10
frakswe

jeez, glad i found this thread before i tore away what little strands i still have