English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 08 June 2018, 16:42   #1

hdtoolbox partition method

ok time to simplfly the question asked

1.when it come to partitioning a cf do people stick to the default setting given by the read configration

for 16gb - 32gb cards

2. when it comes to the vampire method where you see a user tying in the secotrs and cylinders
is this a more advanced - pro method

which one would you choose and why or trust?

Last edited by 512k; 08 June 2018 at 21:25. Reason: simplify the bloddy question
Old 08 June 2018, 21:48   #2
-Acid-

I set them myself and type into the cylinders box to set the size. If you're using an old 3.x HDToolBox then using the slider past 4GB is a waste of time as the program gets confused.
Old 11 June 2018, 12:56   #3
Daedalus

Just to clarify, the sizes above 4GB need to be entered manually when using HDToolbox from 3.0 or 3.1 - the version of HDToolbox supplies with 3.5 and 3.9 fully supports drives above 4GB, and partitions can be properly set up using the graphical indicators.

Personally I've used 3.9 for so long that I can't remember the last time I used the direct cylinder entry method. But it was probably around 20 years ago...
Old 11 June 2018, 21:51   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Just to clarify, the sizes above 4GB need to be entered manually when using HDToolbox from 3.0 or 3.1
No, that's not true. The values determined by HDToolbox are totally correct. Only the size displayed is wrong because the calculation overflows. And that does not change if you manually enter different values.
Old 12 June 2018, 10:05   #5
Daedalus

Hmmmm, I have quite distinct memories of having to enter the start and end cylinders of partitions on large drives because they couldn't be set using the slider bar display. Is there some other method of setting partition sizes that I don't know about? Or some other reason I couldn't use the bar display, other than incompatibility with the larger drives?
Old 12 June 2018, 21:49   #6
thomas

It seems I misread your post. The original topic of this thread is about the cylinders/heads/sectors/blocks per track values in the "install drive" section of HDToolbox. This was what I talked about. These values are ok, they should be let alone.

Yes, depending on the drive size, the slider below the partition diagram becomes quite fuzzy if not completely unusable. So entering cylinder numbers is a better choice. I do this anyway because I prefer round numbers.