English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 05 November 2020, 21:45   #1
Octopus66

Full window vs Fullscreen

Are there any disadvantages to using Full Window vs Full Screen? Does Full Window have the same latency as Full Screen with lagless beam race?
Old 06 November 2020, 00:29   #2
lesta_smsc

Not sure if it is relevant, but some emulators allow you to use V-sync with fullscreen but not in windowed fullscreen so I suppose the former has some advantage?
Old 06 November 2020, 01:29   #3
Foebane

I use Fullscreen because of the V-sync aspect alone, and it does solve all the problems switching between PAL and NTSC.

HOWEVER, for some reason, every time I start up emulation in WinUAE, no matter what configuration, my monitor has to go blank for a few seconds to switch display mode... even though in PAL, the display modes are EXACTLY THE SAME.

It wouldn't be a problem, but my monitor is so old, sometimes the screen stays black during a switch, and I have to turn the monitor off and on again.
Old 06 November 2020, 08:25   #4
honx

i use full window because using fullscreen with other resolutions than 1920x1080 always messes up my desktop.
i hate that, so using fullscreen is a no go for me.
Old 06 November 2020, 10:42   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

In my opinion the best choice is "Windowed" at a lower resolution than Windows, in this way you can drag and drop volumes, folders and files with the mouse from your PC.
Old 06 November 2020, 11:42   #6
meynaf
son of 68k

Here's how i see things.
With Full Screen you have all bells and whistles for smooth animation but it needs screen mode change (even if it's just to change sync rate) and these have always been a PITA on peecees, especially on windows where it can mess up the desktop.
With Full Window you have pseudo full screen. It's fast and easy, but no vsync so say hello to smooth anim (well, you can have simple vsync but with wrong rate).
With Windowed you can drag and drop things, switch from/to other pc apps and copy-paste things quickly. No smooth anim obviously.
Old 06 November 2020, 12:09   #7
hexaae
Bug hunter

Prefer Fullscreen for native modes (games) because you'll be sure drivers will correctly set vsync and/or gsync for the smoothest experience at 50 and 60Hz for PAL and NTSC. WinUAE with G-Sync runs as smooth as original Amiga connected to a PAL TV 50Hz, because it syncs monitor refresh to generated frames: 50fps/50Hz

Last edited by hexaae; 06 November 2020 at 12:19.
Old 29 November 2020, 19:12   #8
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Here's how i see things.
With Full Screen you have all bells and whistles for smooth animation but it needs screen mode change (even if it's just to change sync rate) and these have always been a PITA on peecees, especially on windows where it can mess up the desktop.
With Full Window you have pseudo full screen. It's fast and easy, but no vsync so say hello to smooth anim (well, you can have simple vsync but with wrong rate).
With Windowed you can drag and drop things, switch from/to other pc apps and copy-paste things quickly. No smooth anim obviously.
Yeah a huge PITA indeed...whenever I mess with scaling / resolution / filters / whatever settings while in fullscreen, screen goes black and cannot do ANYTHING on Windows too (not even quit apps or Alt-tab to cycle elsewhere)... pitch Black and I can only logout / reboot the PC from task manager... Sucks indeed.
Old 29 November 2020, 21:00   #9
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Yeah a huge PITA indeed...whenever I mess with scaling / resolution / filters / whatever settings while in fullscreen, screen goes black and cannot do ANYTHING on Windows too (not even quit apps or Alt-tab to cycle elsewhere)... pitch Black and I can only logout / reboot the PC from task manager... Sucks indeed.
What version of WinUAE are you using skan? Also 32-bit or 64-bit?

Finally, are you using DirectX9 or DirectX11?
Old 29 November 2020, 23:41   #10
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
What version of WinUAE are you using skan? Also 32-bit or 64-bit?

Finally, are you using DirectX9 or DirectX11?
4.3.0 - 64bit - DX9

Edit: thanks for the subtle hint I tried hardware accel. DX11 and the issue seems gone now... gonna do some stress tests with filters and masks ASAP!

Last edited by skan; 29 November 2020 at 23:52.
Old 30 November 2020, 12:46   #11
DamienD
disengaged

Cool

I would also suggest using the latest stable version of WinUAE i.e. v4.4.0.
Old 04 December 2020, 11:29   #12
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Cool

I would also suggest using the latest stable version of WinUAE i.e. v4.4.0.
Thanks for the advice! I dind't even notice I had an old version installed!

Is it just my eyes deceiving me...or does the picture is a bit softer indeed on dx11?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dx9.png
Views:	62
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	69846   Click image for larger version

Name:	dx11.png
Views:	58
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	69847  
Old 04 December 2020, 11:43   #13
DamienD
disengaged

I don't use DirectX11; as it doesn't work how I want on my old laptop.