English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 17 November 2018, 16:30   #1
DarrenB

New Amiga owner needing help.

Hello, I never had or used an Amiga before ... I had an Atari ST instead in my childhood (still have it even)

But in few a boxs of retro bits I got I found 6 amiga's (2 x 500, 2 x 600 and 2 x 1200)

I've downloaded lots of TOSEC amiga stuff from the googledrive mirror of the FTP and some other stuff of archive.org.

I want to use clrmame pro to sort out my amiga disk images which are all in different folders, I tried to use clrmame pro but could not work out what I was supposed to be doing. I just want to make a nice folder set with all images in correct folders, list of missing, and unrecognised images in another folder.

Anybody able to guide me?

Also planning to upgrade the Amiga 1200's got a compact flash adapter and 4gb cf ... May get a larger one when I know how it works (one of the Amiga's is on kickstart 3.0, the other on 3.1 - believe 3.1 can cope with larger drives? Just the boot partition limited to 4gb? Is this correct?
Old 17 November 2018, 16:41   #2
chip

Welcome to the forum DarrenB

I can't help you with clrmame since i never used it, but sure other members will help you
Old 11 January 2019, 01:49   #3
Honey Badger

no idea on clrmame pro - don't use it, nor even mame in general ....

but, can speak to CF as hard drives ... 4 GB is this limit typically, but there are ways around it

for example :
https://16bitdust.wordpress.com/2015...nuae-and-pfs3/
Old 11 January 2019, 12:44   #4
Daedalus

To be a little more specific, the boot partition must reside entirely within the first 4GB of the disk. Having a 1GB boot partition is no good if it straddles the 4GB boundary, for example. This is because the IDE driver (scsi.device) in the ROM itself only supports up to 4GB, so you need to be able to boot that partition in order to load an updated IDE driver that can then handle more or less any size.

That limit is the same in Kickstart 3.0 and 3.1. Newer Kickstarts such as 3.1.4 have updated IDE drivers that can handle large drives from cold boot if installed as a physical replacement for the original 3.0/3.1 ROMs.
Old 11 January 2019, 13:14   #5
fatbob_gb

I use RomVaullt to keep track of my TOSEC files. It is not necessarily any better than ClrMamepro but for a multidat collection I found it easier to get up and running.