English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 12 October 2009, 02:36   #201
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
Funny how you "select" information sometimes kitty
Aww, I feel so sorry for you now Glad Kitty replied before me and explained what she did. Maybe your 'post-configurations' aren't that brilliant after all?
Old 12 October 2009, 02:42   #202
Kitty

OK I managed to get a screen grab while the icons were loading up, despite how quick it happens! check below ..

Old 12 October 2009, 02:43   #203
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
incidentally, 800x600 may be a convenient resolution, and Bloodwych said it had to be used with P96, but as we amply discussed it with R-N and Elowar last night, the correct 3.1 WB resolution is 640x512 or 640x256 line-doubled.

So if you don't use filters, you want a proportional resolution (e.g. 1280x1024) set when going full-screen.

And you could have kept your working config and simply change the CPU type. I noticed it's better to go in small increments from the most compatible settings when doing changes in WinUAE config.
Old 12 October 2009, 02:45   #204
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I havnt deserted my old setup, just having a play with Classic Workbench, I'm not sure if I will use Classic Workbench as my default Amiga Platform, I find the basic older setup far easier to use.
Do you mean the CWB-UAE? Yes, it's looks a bit more complicated for beginners since it use Scalos.

CWB-Lite on the other side is nothing more than a default WB with a lot of enhancements/improvemens. Consider this, before you try to improve your default WB setup with more useful tools/programmes. CWB-Lite has them all.
Old 12 October 2009, 02:45   #205
tero

@Delevauvive

The more Kitty try and experiment the more she learn
You tried differnent things/setups too, don't you?
maybe Amikit or AmigaSYS will be next, who knows

And when she get problems, she will get answers
Just like you, if you would post questions
Old 12 October 2009, 02:46   #206
Kitty

Quote:
'Deleauvive' And you could have kept your working config and simply change the CPU type.
'Kitty' Can I use my old configs with this version of Classic Workbench or would I have to set them up all again?

'Bloodwych' I would suggest using the ones that come with the UAE pack as they are optimised for best compatibility. Then use those two configs as a base settings file and change them how you want. Your own config files may not have RTG ram for the P96 version or correct HDF files and directories setup. Once you know your way around WinUAE, you can use any config you want.
Old 12 October 2009, 02:47   #207
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
incidentally, 800x600 may be a convenient resolution, and Bloodwych said it had to be used with P96, but as we amply discussed it with R-N and Elowar last night, the correct 3.1 WB resolution is 640x512 or 640x256 line-doubled.
You still miss the point. It's 'default' and thus not 'distorted', but not 'correct'.

Quote:
And you could have kept your working config and simply change the CPU type. I noticed it's better to go in small increments from the most compatible settings when doing changes in WinUAE config.
ClassicWB brings it's own configs along for a reason. We know you already distrust Toni that he can setup configurations and now we know you also think Bloodwych cannot. Maybe we see your emulator and WB preconfiguration soon?
Old 12 October 2009, 03:06   #208
NewDeli
Banned

@tero
After having tampered with WB 3.1, the next step for me was the setup of the one and only OS 3.9. A review can be found here. Contrary to popular belief, I didn't find any major compatibility problem with it.

None of that preconfigured gheyness would suit me (it's a joke, of course I admire the work of Bloodwych and of the AmigaSYS authors) !
I keep them for reference, testing and compatibility checking purposes.

@TCD
I don't know what you're talking about that mistrust of Toni's config or smth. sorry. Doesn't sound like anything worth commenting after though.

@Kitty
Really, you're missing something concerning RTG. I don't have time to go through this right now, but basically with RTG your WB, powered by a virtual gfx driver, is made independent from the native modes the games use.

P96 doesn't use it in full (or even partially) because the screen mode stay & remain "native" modes (or default modes, whatever you have them called).
Old 12 October 2009, 03:12   #209
tero

@Deleauvive
Why not simply stay (more or less) by the active question?
that means:
Question is copper-demon = DONOTANSWER resolution/chiptype/config
Question is saving the colors = DONOTANSWER resolution/chiptype/config
Imagine how this goes on...

I don't say that loud (i did my own faults)
But it seems that sometimes are more (useless) Deleauvive (or about) posts
then Questions+Answers

Edit:3.9 is a nice one, i use it mostly (own setup - nothings better then 'my way')
Old 12 October 2009, 03:15   #210
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
@TCD
I don't know what you're talking about that mistrust of Toni's config or smth. sorry. Doesn't sound like anything worth commenting after though.
Weren't you the one that proposed that Toni should change the A4000 quickstarts for your 'authentic' ones? Yes, yes you were (I can provide a link to your post if you want).

Quote:
@Kitty
Really, you're missing something concerning RTG. I don't have time to go through this right now, but basically with RTG your WB, powered by a virtual gfx driver, is made independent from the native modes the games use.

P96 doesn't use it in full (or even partially) because the screen mode stay & remain "native" modes (or default modes, whatever you have them called).
I really think you're missing something. You told Kitty that 'if you don't use filters, you want a proportional resolution (e.g. 1280x1024) set when going full-screen'. Again the host resolution has nothing to do with the resolution inside WB (except it should be set higher). Kitty using 800x600 has done nothing 'wrong' which you even said in your post, so what the hell are you talking about?
Old 12 October 2009, 03:21   #211
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Again the host resolution has nothing to do with the resolution inside WB (except it should be set higher)
Equal or higher.
Old 12 October 2009, 03:24   #212
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Equal or higher.
Yep, you're right
Old 12 October 2009, 03:49   #213
tero

@Kitty
Finally i may found the answer for the not scaled background image,
is it too late now?
Exact the same problem is asked in scalos faq

GUIGfx option is not set (scalos/prefs/scalos pattern)
or
guigfx.library and/or render.library not installed (they are installed in CWB)

but i guess you're happy with the new background(it's a nice one)
(sorry, nothing about the icon-drag yet)
Old 12 October 2009, 03:59   #214
Kitty

huh wha.. oh yeah , sorry I was asleep at the keyboard

Well its 3am here so I will be trying that out tommorrow when I get back from work, thanks for looking that up though
Old 12 October 2009, 04:04   #215
NewDeli
Banned

@TCD
I did wrote about the A4000 QuickConfig, and then what ? Will you complain if the A4000 config gets updated with JIT disabled, some megs of RTG memory set.. ? I don't get it.

It's Toni's decision anyway. It seems nothing was wrong with me proposing it by the time, and should you realize some settings are wrong in these configs (or need to be updated), you could simply post another for people (and Toni, if he's interested in it) to compare. And I am the one dragging the threads off-topic .

Last edited by NewDeli; 12 October 2009 at 18:43.
Old 12 October 2009, 04:08   #216
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Without filters, I believe the default ratio resolution ("compliant" with 640x512) cannot be displayed without black borders on a typical 1,33 ratio bearing monitor.
A tiny border is left, but you can tweak it manually on your monitor. I use a 4:3 CRT and have no black WB borders in WinUAE (never use scale filters). Though you see them in the most lowres games.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 12 October 2009 at 04:23.
Old 12 October 2009, 08:46   #217
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
crumbs you do sprout some drivel at times deli

I`m not going to ask you to explain here but open a new thread and try and explain there
Old 12 October 2009, 10:44   #218
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
@TCD
I did wrote about the A4000 QuickConfig, and then what ? Will you complain if the A4000 config gets updated with JIT disabled, some megs of RTG memory set.. ? I don't get it.
Quote:
I proposed two A4000 from my custom config. to replace the QuickConfig one, and up to these day, they haven't been challenged (except they might not have cycle-exact enabled), they're based on datasheets I looked upon of course.
You didn't asked for it to be adjusted, you asked for it to be replaced by yours. Maybe just some unfortunate wording on your side, but why do you think Kitty shouldn't use the configs Bloodwych provided? Like he said she can always adapt it to her liking once she got the grips of it.

Quote:
And I am the one dragging the threads off-topic .
Quote:
Just a hint : If you're running the WB @640x512, then you should be googling for 1280x1240 sized wallpapers (like this one) to retain the 1,25 ratio.

But I've noticed sometimes the 1280x1024 from a given set were not proportionally resized and thus appear distorted.
You did by again going into unanswered topics. I think the problem is that you try to help people where help isn't really needed. If someone wants to play WHDLoad games error-free with WinUAE, he or she doesn't need a perfectly looking WB. Noone needs to deal with WB screen modes for that. If someone asks a questions about these things, I'm sure you can provide some useful stuff, but dragging each topic that barely touches that into telling people how to setup and configure a 'perfect' WB isn't really helpful.
Old 12 October 2009, 10:53   #219
Bloodwych

As mentioned above, wallpaper scaling will need the GUIgfx flag ticked in the Scalos pattern prefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
OK I managed to get a screen grab while the icons were loading up, despite how quick it happens! check below ..
Wow Kitty, you're hard to please! No one has every mentioned the rendering of the Newicons before under Scalos! As you said, it happens really fast.

It does it on real A1200's too:

[ Show youtube player ]

It has to map the colours of the icon to the Workbench, so on slower machines you see the rendering "glitch". It doesn't do it under normal Workbench and the Newicon patch, so it is an exclusive effect to Scalos.

You can get rid of it, but would have to clear Transparent flag in the Scalos prefs. Problem then is, icons will have a background.

Scalos does have a few little quirks, but its advantages are far greater for many users. Perhaps not in your case however, if you just want something simple to use.

As others said above, perhaps you may find AmigaSYS better as it doesn't use Scalos:

http://amigasys.extra.hu/

Or the ClassicWB LITE version, as suggested above, is more straight forward.

If you have OS3.9, then Amikitt is a more polished choice for P96 displays:

http://amikit.amiga.sk/

Or the original AIAB, but I don't have the link.

The new Amigaforever pack is a good all round package for beginners too, if you're willing to pay.

You've learnt quite a bit about Workbench and WInUAE now. Go and try some of the other packs and decide what works for you.
Old 12 October 2009, 13:26   #220
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Or the original AIAB, but I don't have the link.
AIAB r10.6 is still in the Zone!

Look for the filename 20071213-aiab-r10.6.zip