English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 March 2011, 17:36   #1
DashProject

ROM troubles + stuck on bootscreen

I just got WinUAE as well as "KS ROM v1.3," but I am still having some troubles. When I first powered up WinUAE I got the following message:

One of the following system ROMs is required:

- KS ROM v1.3 (A500,A1000,A2000) rev 34.5 (256k) [315093-02]
- KS ROM v1.3 (A3000)(SK) rev 34.5 (256k)

Check the System ROM path in the Paths panel and click Rescan ROMs

I found I have the former of the two mentioned ROMs.
I hit OK or whatever button was comparable, then half-knowingly clicked the ROM icon under the "Hardware" section, and under "System ROM Settings" I set the proper path to my ROM. Now I really don't know where I'm actually supposed to put the ROM, but I just put it in the following place:

Computer > Local Disk ( C: ) > Users > Public > Public Documents > Amiga Files > WinUAE

Man, Windows 7's path system is so confusing!

So anyways, after starting the program (and getting the newest version of DirectX, due to a message I got when I tried to run it at first) I found that it stuck on the "AMIGA Work Bench" bootscreen - it could be loading, but I doubt it. I think it froze up, especially considering it got stuck on there for 3 or 4 minutes. I doubt it's my computer, my computer's an extremely new gaming PC I just got at the end of last year. So yeah, it's just kinda stuck on the loading screen.

I exited WinUAE and then started it again, only to have it prompt me to put in the ROMs again, and I realized I did NOT use the Paths panel, nor did I rescan the ROMs because I have no idea what directory to put my ROM in! I eventually hit Rescan anyway and it told me all the required ROMs were unavailable, so I'm pretty sure I put it in the wrong directory. Although now that I scanned for the ROMs it no longer prompts me with that message when I start up WinUAE. I dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing, honestly.

But regardless, I have no idea where to properly put the ROMs, and I especially have no idea what's going on with the Work Bench bootscreen just sitting there, and not letting me actually start up.

Please help, I wanna play Lemmings!
Old 09 March 2011, 17:54   #2
TCD

You can point the ROMs path anywhere you want to (just use the '...' on the right). So create a folder 'C:\AmigaKS', copy your Kickstart roms there and point the WinUAE path there. Then click rescan roms and that's it.
Afterwards you will have to download the Lemmings ADFs and put them into the floppy drives (DF0, DF1 etc).
Old 09 March 2011, 18:12   #3
DashProject

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You can point the ROMs path anywhere you want to (just use the '...' on the right). So create a folder 'C:\AmigaKS', copy your Kickstart roms there and point the WinUAE path there. Then click rescan roms and that's it.
Afterwards you will have to download the Lemmings ADFs and put them into the floppy drives (DF0, DF1 etc).
I did what you suggested and made a folder "AmigaKS" and put my ROM in it. However, I notice on the "Paths" tab all the paths other than System ROMs (Configuration files, Screenshots, State files etc.) all point to "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\WinUAE\" while "System ROMs" is the only one which points to "C:\AmigaKS". I'm not sure that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it seems like the odd one out.

Also when I rescanned the ROMs, in case this means anything, it gave me a list of a bunch of different ROMs like "A500 Boot ROM 1.2," "A500+," "CD32," "Arcadia Multi Select"etc. and they were all unavailable, except for "A500 Boot ROM 1.3" which was available because it was the one I got.

I'm guessing a lot of those other ROMs are what are required to run Work Bench and many other required programs and files, which must be why I'm stuck on the bootscreen. Any more advice?
Old 09 March 2011, 19:10   #4
TCD

I thought you wanted to play Lemmings? Insert the first disk of Lemmings into DF0, choose an A500 quickstart and click on start.
Old 09 March 2011, 19:20   #5
DashProject

Quote:
I thought you wanted to play Lemmings? Insert the first disk of Lemmings into DF0, choose an A500 quickstart and click on start.
I thought you needed to run Lemmings from Work Bench, so I thought you needed all those ROMs and stuff I mentioned. And I don't know what an A500 quickstart is, sorry.

First I need to download Lemmings, but I don't have a floppy drive on my computer. Or is it a virtual floppy drive? So I need the Lemmings ADFs then, which I presume are floppy disk images. Also the link you sent me is confusing, and appears to be in French.

I downloaded "disk 1 of 2" and "disk 2 of 2" (the second and third links from the top of the list) and unzipped using WinRAR but I'm not sure where to put the ADF files.

EDIT: I found DF0 and put disk 1 of 2 in it, but I'm getting an extremely long intro, text and music when I just wanna play the damn game! Also I tried another set of ADFs from a different link and it just took me to the Work Bench bootscreen all over again.

Last edited by DashProject; 09 March 2011 at 19:29.
Old 09 March 2011, 19:40   #6
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashProject View Post
EDIT: I found DF0 and put disk 1 of 2 in it, but I'm getting an extremely long intro, text and music when I just wanna play the damn game!
Have you tried clicking the mouse? Will have a look a bit myself.

Edit : It's even written on the screen 'Use F-Keys to change and space to exit'.

Last edited by TCD; 09 March 2011 at 20:05.
Old 09 March 2011, 20:39   #7
DashProject

Quote:
Edit : It's even written on the screen 'Use F-Keys to change and space to exit'.
I don't see it. I used the Semtex ones which give me the incredibly long and pointless intro screen starting with "CHAIN/SEMTEX IS BACK" (which I think just loops after awhile) which appears to be some bad attempt at a demo, but it definitely ain't Lemmings. I've tried clicking, hitting "F" and hitting "SPACE" and nothing happens.

All other Lemmings ADF files (the Semtex disk 2 and the cr Impact disks one AND 2) will just take me to the Work Bench bootscreen and load/hang endlessly.
Old 09 March 2011, 20:42   #8
TCD

Sorry, misread your post and used the first disk off that list. For the Chain - Semtex intro it's the right mouse button. Afterwards it's space on the trainer screen.
Old 09 March 2011, 20:53   #9
DashProject

Quote:
Sorry, misread your post and used the first disk off that list. For the Chain - Semtex intro it's the right mouse button. Afterwards it's space on the trainer screen.
It works perfectly up until it tells me to "insert the Lemmings disk 2 into any drive." I'm inside the game, and WinUAE is in emulation mode so I have no idea how to get back to where I can put the disk 2 ADF into the drive (DF0 I presume.) I will try to put disk 2 into DF1 but I'm not sure it'll work...oh wait, that's working so far.) Anyways, there's got to be a way to swap disks without closing and re-opening the program.

Also, may I please ask what the "F keys" are? I have a feeling knowing so would really help me out in case I want to alter the settings at the start, before it goes in and starts playing the game.

And also, the intro splash screens (where it shows the "Psygnosis" and "DMA Design" screens) stay on the screen for a very long time before moving on. What key do I use to skip them, if possible?

So far so good...the music for level 2 is kinda glitchy in parts, but I'm sure that can't be helped without better emulation. But yeah, this is my first time playing Lemmings since 1993 when I was in England! W00t!

EDIT: Is there a way to go into fullscreen on this emulator?
Old 09 March 2011, 21:00   #10
TCD

Quote:
I'm inside the game, and WinUAE is in emulation mode so I have no idea how to get back to where I can put the disk 2 ADF into the drive (DF0 I presume.)
Use F12 to open the WinUAE GUI.

Quote:
Also, may I please ask what the "F keys" are? I have a feeling knowing so would really help me out in case I want to alter the settings at the start, before it goes in and starts playing the game.
The F1 to F10 keys on your keyboard.

Quote:
So far so good...the music for level 2 is kinda glitchy in parts, but I'm sure that can't be helped without better emulation.
Have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=42472
Find the download info here : http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=729860&postcount=20

Quote:
Use 'Native mode: Fullscreen' on the 'Display' panel.
Old 09 March 2011, 21:22   #11
DashProject

Quote:
Use F12 to open the WinUAE GUI.
The F1 to F10 keys on your keyboard.

Have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=42472
Find the download info here : http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=729860&postcount=20

Use 'Native mode: Fullscreen' on the 'Display' panel.
The F1 - F10 keys? Gosh I feel stupid...

And thanks! Sound is fixed! And I can't wait to play all the other awesome-looking Amiga games! Any recommendations?

Now I'm just curious how to get Work Bench working.
Old 09 March 2011, 22:15   #12
TCD

Quote:
Any recommendations?
Turrican 2
and have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25154

Quote:
Now I'm just curious how to get Work Bench working.
With your Kickstart you can run WB 1.2 or 1.3. Just insert the disk and boot it like you did with Lemmings. Other Workbenches would need newer Kickstarts, so you might want to have a look on Google...
Old 09 March 2011, 23:27   #13
DashProject

Quote:
Turrican 2
and have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25154

With your Kickstart you can run WB 1.2 or 1.3. Just insert the disk and boot it like you did with Lemmings. Other Workbenches would need newer Kickstarts, so you might want to have a look on Google...
Turrican 2 was in a corrupted ZIP file...WinRAR wouldn't let me unzip it. Also the original Turrican had only disc one so I couldn't download it to play it.

And I'm not sure where I'd find Workbench, I mean there was a place on abime.net to download it but the download is taking forever (40 min for a 60MB file, not sure why it's so big) so I canceled it. Also I'm getting a bunch of Kickstart ROMs but they're still downloading.

What do you think I should do next if my real desire is to play Amiga games and play around with Workbench and the different apps?
Old 09 March 2011, 23:34   #14
TCD

Quote:
Turrican 2 was in a corrupted ZIP file...WinRAR wouldn't let me unzip it. Also the original Turrican had only disc one so I couldn't download it to play it.
You should know the file server by now and in 'TOSEC/Games/[ADF]' you'll find working Turrican 2 disks.

Quote:
What do you think I should do next if my real desire is to play Amiga games and play around with Workbench and the different apps?
It's up to you. Except for the Kickstart and Workbench files (which are covered here in the Rules & Help section of EAB) you should find a lot of stuff on the aforementioned file server to tinker with.
Old 10 March 2011, 00:09   #15
Matt020

May I just jump in here and ask a couple of questions....

How much experience have you had with a genuine Amiga (not emulated, the real thing)

How much experience have you had with PC's or computers in general.

I think if we establish this, it will help with a few things
Old 10 March 2011, 00:23   #16
DashProject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt020 View Post
May I just jump in here and ask a couple of questions....

How much experience have you had with a genuine Amiga (not emulated, the real thing)

How much experience have you had with PC's or computers in general.

I think if we establish this, it will help with a few things
I have next to no experience with a genuine Amiga, having only played Lemmings on one in 1993. I was five years old.

I've used PCs all my life and I'd say I'm slightly above average in terms of computer literacy, but I can't do everything and I'm no genius. I can change stuff in the Windows registry and write a couple really, REALLY basic programs in C (took a class for that a couple years ago,) and I know the basics of how computers are put together and what each hardware component does, but the further details are lost on me.
Old 11 March 2011, 18:10   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Stick out tongue

Quote:
You mean a QUICK way?
Indeed...try CTRL-F12