English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 23 March 2002, 13:45   #1
Steve
Don't be a sheep. Baaaa!

Exclamation Original Dungeon Master Not Working

Ok. I bought an ultra rare original version of Dungeon Master from America a few weeks ago though Ebay. I was totally gutted when I realised the disk had an error and it wouldn't load past the title screen. I've uploaded the adf to the zone in the hope that one of you can fix the disk. I know it's a longshot and that more than likely the disk will be unrecoverable. I've not seen this disk anywhere on the net so it must be pretty rare. I really hope someone can fix this but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Good luck guys.
Old 23 March 2002, 16:14   #2
Frog

WHD version

i'm uploading a WHD version of this wonderful game. Often imitate, never equalize
If you like it, have a try with Black Crypt.
Old 23 March 2002, 18:06   #3
Steve
Don't be a sheep. Baaaa!

Cool Thanks

But I already have quite a few versions of Dungeon Master thanks. I've completed it twice. It's just that I've never seen this version on the net before.
Old 23 March 2002, 18:48   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Hmmm...

It has copy protection. I have just cracked it for you, will be in the zone shortly, just need to do a quick playtest to make sure its ok.
Old 23 March 2002, 19:52   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Problems

Right, I can bypass the copy protection, but I am having a few problems in the game itself.

1). I pick 4 characters and goto start the game by stepping on the pad in front of the closed gate, but nothing happens.

2). If I throw an object, it hangs in the air. If I then rotate the team 180 degrees, and then try and reverse the team, I get graphics glitches, which eventually culminates in the game crashing (because its writing crap where it shouldn't).

Now this could simply be that your version of Dungeon Master has a few bugs, but the fact I cannot get out of the Hall of Champions isn't a good sign.
Old 23 March 2002, 21:22   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Steve, what makes this version of Dungeon Master so ultra rare. I have three copies of the US release of Dungeon Master (all boxed originals). The game itself is not rare, so maybe your version has something going on different than other copies?
Old 23 March 2002, 21:30   #7
Steve
Don't be a sheep. Baaaa!

Cool Not sure really

Just the fact that I've not seen any US versions on the net. Could you upload your original versions please so I can compare them with mine. Thanks for attempting to fix the disk Galahad. I'm not sure how you got it to load up though because it wouldn't work even on my real Amiga. The reason for the gfx glitches is because one or more of the files are corrupted. What kind of protection did it have? I don't think it has manual protection. Cheers guys.
Old 23 March 2002, 21:41   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, my hands are a bit tied at the moment on using my real Amiga. I thought I'd explained this, but it must have been on a mailing list. Whilst trying to hook a null modem cable between my PC and Amiga, it seems I fried one (or both?) of my CIA chips, rendering my keyboard inoperable. So dumping it may not be an option. It says Copy protected disk on the disk label, so this might explain the problems Galahad is experiencing. The only way I know of to get the disk dumped would be to make a script on the PC to run NIBWARP (or whatever), put it on a PC disk, set the script attribute for the file in Directory Opus, and then have it create the file in ram. Then I'd need a script to split the files to fit on a floppy (unless someone knows which track I'd need to warp).

I'd always heard this game was impossible to crack properly...what was the story on that? It's been years and I have forgotten, but it's allegedly notorious for its copy protection.
Old 23 March 2002, 21:43   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

It checks for a protection track on the second side of track 0 (the readme on the disk says it has copy protection).

It reads this three times (seperately) if it fails the disk check it just keeps on checking the disk.

How do I get out of the Hall of Champions in case I am doing something wrong
Old 23 March 2002, 21:47   #10
jmmijo

Re: Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
Right, I can bypass the copy protection, but I am having a few problems in the game itself.

1). I pick 4 characters and goto start the game by stepping on the pad in front of the closed gate, but nothing happens.

2). If I throw an object, it hangs in the air. If I then rotate the team 180 degrees, and then try and reverse the team, I get graphics glitches, which eventually culminates in the game crashing (because its writing crap where it shouldn't).

Now this could simply be that your version of Dungeon Master has a few bugs, but the fact I cannot get out of the Hall of Champions isn't a good sign.
You'll find that the copy protection is checked multiple times! For instance when you create a save game disk, it will check the protection track then it will properly create the save game disk. Also at the first stair location going down it check the protection again! I think it also checks protection at random time and/or events as well. I remember this from my days working with the Maverick team, nobody wanted to research this and find all the checks and/or if there was a main check that controlled the random checks. Perhaps if you look in the main dm file you could locate more of the protection checks

Also note that if the protection fails it seems to cause some kind of program problems like you described!
Old 23 March 2002, 22:02   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

So, should I try dumping that track?
Old 23 March 2002, 22:28   #12
jmmijo

You could but I bet it's a signature track of some sort, unless you have a duplication machine like those from Trace you would most likely fail to read it properly. But supposedly Lockpick v2 has 2 or 3 different parms to duplicate the different versions of the protection scheme, apparently it was changed multiple times.
Old 24 March 2002, 00:58   #13
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Is this the first version of Dungeon Master that Steve has ?

I am just asking because I have only seen one ( cracked ) version of DM ( I think it is V2.6, haven't checked it now ), and there it says that it is the second, slightly altered version.
It mentiones something about better grafix in some parts of the game, multilanguage, and distribution by Psygnosis instead of FTL.

Does anyone have a cracked V1.0 ? Maybe it really is rare ?
Old 24 March 2002, 01:10   #14
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

the version you are talking about is 3.60 which was the later release psygnosis did. its also not cracked as there was no copy protection (not having the manual would severely hampen your playin experience) there is also an apparently uncracked unmodified original dungeon master in the tosec dats and seeing as its uncracked and isnt listed as bad id assume that version doesnt have copy protection either?

so with this ver having copy protection it def makes it different
perhaps dungeon master only had diskcopy protection in america?
Old 24 March 2002, 10:16   #15
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath
...perhaps dungeon master only had diskcopy protection in america?
I think you're correct about this one, I've not actually seen the European release so I'll have to take your word for the Psygnosis release
Old 24 March 2002, 14:19   #16
Steve
Don't be a sheep. Baaaa!

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Overdoc
Is this the first version of Dungeon Master that Steve has ?

I am just asking because I have only seen one ( cracked ) version of DM ( I think it is V2.6, haven't checked it now ), and there it says that it is the second, slightly altered version.
It mentiones something about better grafix in some parts of the game, multilanguage, and distribution by Psygnosis instead of FTL.

Does anyone have a cracked V1.0 ? Maybe it really is rare ?
3.6 is really common on the net and is supposed to have new graphics and sound. I have the original Psygnosis re-release version but the one I uploaded to the zone is indeed version 1.0 of Dungeon Master. It's the US version. I'm not sure if the Psygnosis version has copy protection. I don't think it does. So does anyone have the european version of DM v1.0? Galahad could you upload the version that you cracked. Thanks. Oh and congrats on winning Dragon's Breath.
Old 24 March 2002, 14:45   #17
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

i've just checked the other copy of dungeon master thats in the tosec dats and that one is version 2.0

it appears uncracked and seems to work fine.

so a version 1.0 along with diskcopy protection definitly seems rare.
Old 24 March 2002, 14:54   #18
Steve
Don't be a sheep. Baaaa!

Cool Got that as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath
i've just checked the other copy of dungeon master thats in the tosec dats and that one is version 2.0

it appears uncracked and seems to work fine.

so a version 1.0 along with diskcopy protection definitly seems rare.
I also have version 2.0 of Dungeon Master. Now you see why I think it's so rare at least as an ADF. I've not seen it on the Net and I've been looking for it for three years now!
Old 24 March 2002, 17:53   #19
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Dungeon Master Protection

Dungeon Master calls the same generic protection routine, so if you crack the main routine, all other checks are completly irrelevant.

Easy to check because the routine just loops if it fails.

I have knocked out the copy protection, yet the game screws up big time. Just wondering if its an NTSC thing maybe.

PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION:

When I have picked my characters, do I just step on the floor switch in front of the exit gate to leave, or am I doing something wrong????????
Old 24 March 2002, 18:06   #20
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

no your not doing anything wrong, as soon as you pick your characters standing on the pressure plate should open the gate