English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 17 May 2020, 01:11   #1
Pyromania

8K TV and AI

Some 8k televisions already use AI to recreate lower resolution videos in 8k. This is a promising advanced upscaler. Hopefully in the future they will upscale native Amiga displays in the beauty of 8K? What’s does everyone else think about that? I have yet to try this myself but it sounds exciting. Has anyone tried WinUAE in 8k, 6k or 4k?

https://www.techradar.com/news/heres...ing-technology

Last edited by Pyromania; 17 May 2020 at 01:36.
Old 17 May 2020, 02:22   #2
jmmijo

I only recently purchased a 4K TV from Samsung, not sure if it has any upscaling features like this on it.

But I don't use it yet for any gaming or use my computers on it.

If it will do proper upsampling and scaling then that could be of use.
Old 18 May 2020, 11:44   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I can't really see how this AI, which will be designed for pictures with millions of colors and "at least" a widescreen HD viewport, will succeed at upscaling a VGA-sized viewport with 16, 32 or maybe 255 colors. AI does not imply a miracle is going to be performed. It likely implies that the software will pick a suitable scaling algorithm on the fly to get the best results.

Let me put it differently, even on regular HD monitors re-releases of games have already resorted to using smoothing filters to not be lost in a sea of chunky pixels when put on fullscreen mode, and boy does it look horrible. It is far better to just play in a window and double the viewport size so the pixels stay roughly how you expect them to be.
Old 18 May 2020, 13:20   #4
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

On mine 4k laptop screen, double is not enough... not with my aging eyes. 3x and 4x is minimum. Not sure how 8k will help with this. With or without AI.

Most emualtors can already create tube blur... so what is the problem?

Is this another scanline shit - no shit topic??
Old 18 May 2020, 13:44   #5
dreadnought

I wouldn't trust some generic brand AI with upscaling of any content, be it SD TV or computer stuff. It evokes the ghosts of "coloured" films or what gimbal says about lazy and terrible re-releases.

If anything, it'd be have to be algorithms or shaders specially written for retro computing by folks interested and experienced with this particular field.

Not sure if 8K is going to make any difference in this department anyway, not even sure if 4K does (unless you have a big screen size it probably makes no difference at all to start with).

I'm much more interested in new display tech than multiplying resolutions, e.g. it'd be much better if they improved OLED so it'd finally be available as (affordable) monitors.
Old 19 May 2020, 15:26   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
On mine 4k laptop screen, double is not enough... not with my aging eyes. 3x and 4x is minimum. Not sure how 8k will help with this. With or without AI.
Aye of course, depending on resolution I'm still stuck in the age of 1920*1080. And I'm kind of happy there

Jeez imagine having an 8k monitor and you run winuae on default settings. The window will be the size of a postage stamp and the pixels will be the size of a molecule.
Old 21 May 2020, 06:43   #7
Hewitson

Those TV's that use AI to insert artificial frames to make things appear smoother are terrible. I expect these upscalers will be similar. Better off disabled.