English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 May 2020, 03:26   #1
aeberbach

Melbourne, AU - help test 68060

Hey everyone, I have bought a chip claiming to be 68060RC50, 71E41J rev 6. It looks the part and the seller has previously been reliable. However I now see that other recent buyers from this seller have received re-marked LC parts. Looks like new accelerators will be released this year so I wanted to be sure I had a chip ready, but right now I have nothing that can test this chip.

Does anyone in Melbourne have a way to test the CPU for me? i.e. socketed accelerator board?

I need to get this done before 30 days has elapsed or can't open a dispute and get a refund.
Old 29 May 2020, 06:00   #2
Hewitson

Wish I could help, but the 060 on my 1260 is not socketed.
Old 29 May 2020, 18:44   #3
eXeler0

A lot of the times you can actually spot a fake, do you have a high res image of the CPU?
Old 30 May 2020, 00:05   #4
aeberbach

https://i.imgur.com/xZMMbvC.jpg

Sure, here's one.

(It's too big to put inline - takes two screens)
Old 30 May 2020, 08:58   #5
nikoskob

I'd love to help too, but mine isn't socketed either, probably wouldn't get a socket in time either (the way the post is these days )

Can i ask where you got it from and how much?
Old 30 May 2020, 09:47   #6
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
https://i.imgur.com/xZMMbvC.jpg

Sure, here's one.

(It's too big to put inline - takes two screens)
Looks genuine, but as always it's worth testing.
Old 30 May 2020, 11:44   #7
aeberbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoskob View Post
I'd love to help too, but mine isn't socketed either, probably wouldn't get a socket in time either (the way the post is these days )

Can i ask where you got it from and how much?
sure, eBay funkward_tech seller, around $200, bare chip.

I'm less worried now someone who is very experienced in these things has looked at the image and said it's real. Not that I will know until I can plug it in and see what the registers say. But that's so dodgy - another guy that bought from the exact same listing received a 68060 that looks completely different and is fake. Scum and villainy indeed.

Do NOT buy a chip from funkward_tech - until recently, a reliable source, now just a scammer like the rest.
Old 30 May 2020, 22:09   #8
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Looks genuine, but as always it's worth testing.

I agree, from what can bee seen in the pic, it looks genuine.
Old 31 May 2020, 09:16   #9
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I agree, from what can bee seen in the pic, it looks genuine.
It does, but so do some of the fakes. Most have issues (eg wrong colour text, wrong font, etc) but I have seen some that look almost identical to a real one.
Old 31 May 2020, 10:05   #10
dalek

If you don't get any luck locally and want to do round trip express post to nsw I'd be happy to test it for you.

I bought from that seller a few months back, mine looks like yours and is full/genuine rev 6.

Sad to hear it sounds like they've depleted their stocks of genuine chips.
Old 31 May 2020, 10:24   #11
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
It does, but so do some of the fakes. Most have issues (eg wrong colour text, wrong font, etc) but I have seen some that look almost identical to a real one.
Sure, if its a very well made fake, only actual testing will tell. But its easy to rule out most fakes, so why not try posting a pic, its free ;-)

Example: easy to spot fake:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KlAAA...6H/s-l1600.jpg
First of all, they didn't even bother to print the right mask.. That mask definitely isn't an RC part. Then the dot in the left top corner is missing as is the package type. Probably used some grinding tool to grind of all previous markings, then reprinted what you see in the pic.
One thing to consider though is that when you look at pics that sellers show in their ebay ads are usually not pics of the actual product. They just reuse some pic they found.
Regarding the pic above, take a close look at this one:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ELgAA...sw/s-l1600.jpg
Different seller, different pic, but obviously the same two CPUs.
So I suppose, in theory, you could get a real part even if the pic in the ad is obviously a fake.

Then we have some fakes that only focus on the mask ID and get that right but ignore or forget the part number and package type code.

In this case we have an image of the actual product and it seems all three check out. Also, it has no obvious sign of reprinting, or having prints in the wrong place etc.
Still, as we've now concluded, it will have to be tested to know for sure, but it was worth a try.

Edit: Btw, There are some users here on EAB that have bought lots of 060s and they learned the hard way. So safes source for 060 is most likely to ask here in these forums from a well known user in the community. They might seem more expensive but consider they had to buy a bunch to retrieve the real RC parts rev6 so any "premium" is to cover the losses for the fakes they've received.

Last edited by eXeler0; 31 May 2020 at 11:11.