English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 26 May 2020, 04:09   #1
jmmijo

Morrowind Question

So I've been wanting to play some more Morrowind under Windows 10 on my gaming rig.

I've run into a couple of hiccups, some game hard locks at random points.

Both times while moving.

It causes the OS to lag big time in that you can't even ALT + TAB to another screen now run Task Manager.

You just have to wait for the game to freeze.

I did a fresh install before this happened and applied the code patch and MGE to allow a full screen 1920 x 1080p display.

I wonder if either or both of these are contributing to the issue ?

I also rolled a new toon to see if things would start off fresh and clean so to speak.

Any ideas on this one or just luck of the draw ?
Old 26 May 2020, 12:52   #2
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Maybe you could give a try to OpenMW instead of using these patches :
https://openmw.org/faq/

Quote:
if you wish to play Morrowind and its expansions. You must legally own Morrowind before you can use OpenMW to play Morrowind. OpenMW is a game engine recreation and only replaces the program. OpenMW does not come with any “content” or “asset” – namely the art, game data, and other copyrighted material that you need to play the game as designed by Bethesda Softworks. You have to provide this content yourself by installing Morrowind and then configuring OpenMW to use the existing installation.

How is OpenMW/OpenMW-CS different from the original Morrowind engine?
  • Native support for macOS, Linux, and Windows
  • Improved physics and AI
  • Distant terrain
  • Save/Load dialogs organized by character
  • Multiple quicksaves
Since it was made from scratch, virtually no engine bugs from the original Morrowind.
Old 26 May 2020, 12:58   #3
dreadnought

OpenMW is great for vanilla MW experience, but I don't think it supports all the gfx enchancements from MGE.

I had been running the patched MGE on Win 10 before so I guess you need to make sure you follow all the directions carefully (there is quite a few options after all). Though from what I remember the unified patch installer is pretty good and everything is well explained.
Old 26 May 2020, 16:19   #4
SquawkBox

As an RPG with such a distinct lineage, Morrowind has aged badly IMHO. Replay value in this day and age is rather low, whether patched or vanilla anyway. As some user from GoG did put it, amounts to a walking simulator in a copy/pasted open world map. SquawkBox says go play Daggerfall Unity instead!
Old 26 May 2020, 16:43   #5
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
As some user from GoG did put it, amounts to a walking simulator in a copy/pasted open world map. SquawkBox says go play Daggerfall Unity instead!
Lol, what did I just read? How ~edgy~...seriously, kids these days

I'm used to people dumping on TES/Fallout games, it's the favourite pastime of modern PC crowd (even if it's mostly completely unreasonable & unjustified), but so far at least Morrowind has been an exception. Now it's a "walking simulator"?

Daggerfall is great, but it's a completely different kettle of fish.
Old 26 May 2020, 19:02   #6
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Game I installed twice and both time failed to take off... All those good memories...
Old 26 May 2020, 19:14   #7
dreadnought

It's odd, I really do not recall having any problems with it whatsoever (apart from performance maxed out, but that's another matter.)

There is a unified patch installer which contains MGE and everything else, and lets you choose stuff as you install. It's really great, don't remmeber what it's called now though.

I also see that https://morroblivion.com claims to be complete and fully playable now. Interesting.
Old 26 May 2020, 21:42   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I don't know what to say... this is my usual Morrowind experience, for as long as I have been playing the game. If I'm lucky it just bombs to the desktop, but it has been known to lock up tight and like a lot of very old games, it does not cooperate with the OS at all and holds resources like the mouse and graphics adapter hostage.
Old 26 May 2020, 22:19   #9
jmmijo

So does OpenMW support modding ?

I will check it out and see what I can find.
Old 27 May 2020, 13:50   #10
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
failed to take off...
Failure to take off is still better than crash landing. Oh, well ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
So does OpenMW support modding ?
Generally speaking, it should have matured enough for that purpose, I guess.
Quote:
The OpenMW project has set one of its main goals to provide compatibility with each and every Morrowind mod which
  • is a pure replacer or a modification created with the original Construction Set
  • doesn't rely on third-party software or other engine hacks
  • doesn't contain any severe scripting errors or other crucial design flaws
Old 01 June 2020, 15:16   #11
d4rk3lf

For me, all 3 Elder Scrolls games I've played (Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim), are just too boring.
Quests are mostly linear, characters are dull, and graphics, while good in terms of objects and texture quality, it's bad in terms of overall world design, and it lacks unique (handy craft) environments, and too much of it is just copy pasted.

From the other hand, here is this masterpieces:
[ Show youtube player ]
and
[ Show youtube player ]
This second video explain, in a good way, what lacks modern games.

Witcher 3 had some good steps in right direction, but still not even close to the 20 year old masterpiece of Pyrana Bytes.
Old 01 June 2020, 16:30   #12
dreadnought

It's got to be one of the unbreakable Rules of the Internet, that whenever there's a TES topic, somebody will come and start going on about how crap they are and why Gothic/Witcher are so, so much superior.

Of course, I don't begrudge anybody having an opinion and liking one or the other, but there's always the massive flaw of comparing apples and oranges. Despite being kinda similar and from CRPG camps, these series have vastly different design philosophies. TES games were always aiming to be a massive, true open worlds with emergent gameplay. The others on the other hand are much more smaller in scale and aim for the scripted storytelling. Both these styles are fine, but you can't have balanced opinion on the net, so the narrative has been forged where these games are "masterpieces" and Bethsoft's games abominations.

I'm sorry, but this is just supremely unfair. In fact I can build similar cases against them - Piranha's games have laughable "combat", dull gfx, illusion of choice and antiquated leveling up design. Mostly the same with Witcher, where even the latest one is incredibly uninnovative & limited in its basic design. But, it has all these awesome cutscenes, so...

On the other hand it's actually Bethesda that was always pushing for creating truly immersive, living worlds. This is why the allegedly "linear" quest do not really matter because you can always abandon them and go and forge your own destiny (not that there is anything inherently bad with linear quests anyway). This (for me) is true roleplaying. And so TES games are actually worlds I live in, while the others are just that - games I play.

This is not in general a bad thing, because these scripted experiences are simply a different style. It's what most CRPGs have been offering since forever after all, I grew up with them and had great time too and occasionally don't mind indulging in them as well. But, as it is, I usually get through 30% something like The Witcher or Risen, get bored and quit, against literally hundreds of hours spent in various TES/FO worlds. Still, I'm not going to go around and dismiss them as utter crap - they're just not for me.
Old 01 June 2020, 17:08   #13
d4rk3lf

Yeah, I hear ya.
I am not saying that Elder Scrolls games are utter crap, they are, just like you said: "Not for me".
However, I had some observation on people reaction, and I never met the case, where people played Gothic, and then was stunned with Elder Scrolls, most of the time is opposite. People play Elder Scrolls, think a very high on these games, and after they play some other games, they realize: "Well, these are really not that good games as I thought so".
I have a couple of friends that think like that, I was also in that phase (I played Morrowind, before Gothic, and I was thinking of it in a very superlative ways), and I've seen many people on the net stating the same.

If you're bored with Gothic/Elder Scrolls comparison, here's another one.
GTA 3 VS Mafia 1.
Same thing basically.... GTA 3 is way too computer generated, with linear quests, while Mafia had the right atmosphere and very immersive world.

Yeah, it's a personal choice and taste, but I think more focused games are better for overall enjoyment (why would anyone wants miles and miles of procedural generated space, instead of smaller, but smartly builded terrain).

Btw, for me, out of last 3 Elders Scrolls, Morrowind wins in all categories, especially that unique "out of the world" nature graphics. I wish they had similar un-ortodox designs in later games.
Old 01 June 2020, 18:02   #14
Shoonay
Global Caturator

As I only played Morrowind back in the days I find Gothic kinda meh for todays standards, the gameplay is wooden, but the worst part is the localization and dialogs, although these were like that in the original German version too - not by people who knew how to write books obviously.
I wish I did had the time to play it back then, it got a cult following here, some fans even started creating some huge expansion for it, broke into two teams due to some problems with differences in project's direction or something, so now there's Dzieje Khorinis & Kroniki Myrtany in the works and to be probably finished this year. They even hired the original voice actors and I personally know the main scripter guy behind Dzieje Khorinis
Old 01 June 2020, 19:33   #15
jmmijo

Well I have *ALL* of these games and they are all fun in their own way, plus who doesn't like the sometimes weird and comical bugs that come with so many Bethesda games
Old 02 June 2020, 14:14   #16
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
As I only played Morrowind back in the days I find Gothic kinda meh for todays standards, the gameplay is wooden, but the worst part is the localization and dialogs, although these were like that in the original German version too - not by people who knew how to write books obviously.
I wish I did had the time to play it back then,
You should give it a try.
Not sure what you mean by "wooden gameplay", every new game I tried was not even close, to the atmosphere and immersion of Gothic (1 and 2).
Yeah, the controls are kind of weird when you first play it, but after some short time, you will see that they makes perfect sense. Some are saying that combat is bad. Combat is GREAT! I really mean it. It's not left click bashing like in similar games, and once you understand it, you will see how powerful it is. It requires some reflexes (but not too much), and some strategy. This is actually the first in-game combat (in rpg's) I've seen that, apart from the game, the player himself get better with practice. So, you can basically beat very strong enemy at first level if you are skilled enough and have good reflexes (of course, the battle would last like 15 minutes, and one mistake - you're dead), but it's possible, even it's not really recommended.

Apart from (really old) graphics, and a little bit weird UI (but you can be used pretty quickly), I see nothing that new games offer better. Nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Well I have *ALL* of these games and they are all fun in their own way, plus who doesn't like the sometimes weird and comical bugs that come with so many Bethesda games
Ahh.. truth to be told...Pyrana games are even much more buggy...
But if you save often (I usually save before each battle, and on every 5-10 minutes), you're good to go...
And yeah, use 2-3 saves all the time, because one of them can be corrupted sometimes.

But everything else in the game, makes it worth of it.
--------------

SORRY ALL
for the off-topic.