English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 February 2003, 23:58   #1
JuGz

Hello! A500 and scart cable

Hi all! Very nice to find a whole forum about Amiga! I'm a new Amiga owner, ok ok I got a very old one (but glorious), an A500 !
There's a little problem though, I haven't any cable to connect it to my TV (and it's hard to find one in my city) so I thought to assemble a RGB - SCART cable and use it. Now the problem is that I cannot see anything on my TV, just a black screen. I'm sure I connected the cable in the right way and so all the wires. This is the url where i picked the draft:

http://www.hwb.acc.umu.se/cable/av/amigascart.html

In detail I connected:
blue + blue gnd
green + green gnd
red + red gnd
composyte signal
Video GND

I tried many times and with different televisions (all not older than 6 years though) and I always get a Black screen or a White screen and nothing more. What could it be? Any hint?
Please help me cuz I'm banging my head everywhere without any success..

Thanks to all

Old 23 February 2003, 01:15   #2
Uukrul

Stupid question but have you selected the AV1 or AV2 channel on your TV?

You also must connect the pin 16 of the SCART to the +12 signal of the Amiga via the 150 ohm resistor if not, your TV doesn't 'know' that you're sending an RGB signal.

Another stupid question: have you checked well the pin numbers?, maybe you're connecting them the wrong way...

Old 23 February 2003, 01:22   #3
scaf

Send a message via MSN to scaf
When the A500 displays a white screen, it means the autotest is 100% ok.
If it is black, the autotest didn't start yet. (Correct me if i'm wrong).

Are you sure of the video format (PAL/NTSC) ?

There is a composite (monochrome) video out next to the RGB out. Use a RCA cable to connect the amiga this way to a TV (that accepts it).
If the Amiga displays something (a hand holding a floppy), the problem may come from your cable.
Old 23 February 2003, 10:44   #4
JuGz

Quote:
Originally posted by Uukrul
Stupid question but have you selected the AV1 or AV2 channel on your TV?

You also must connect the pin 16 of the SCART to the +12 signal of the Amiga via the 150 ohm resistor if not, your TV doesn't 'know' that you're sending an RGB signal.

Another stupid question: have you checked well the pin numbers?, maybe you're connecting them the wrong way...
1 Yes ofcourse I selected the AV channel on my TV and infact when I turn on the Amiga it switches from a black screen to a white one.

2 I didn't connect this (16) pin because someone told me that it is useless because I can switch from the remote of my TV.. but maybe he was wrong? I'll try it then..

3 Yes I checked them and I've also made a new cable and results are the same

Old 23 February 2003, 10:46   #5
JuGz

Quote:
Originally posted by scaf
When the A500 displays a white screen, it means the autotest is 100% ok.
If it is black, the autotest didn't start yet. (Correct me if i'm wrong).

Are you sure of the video format (PAL/NTSC) ?

There is a composite (monochrome) video out next to the RGB out. Use a RCA cable to connect the amiga this way to a TV (that accepts it).
If the Amiga displays something (a hand holding a floppy), the problem may come from your cable.
It shows white screen on a TV (Samsung 30" 100 Hz) and black into another one (Philiips 20" 50Hz), anyway it's PAL format and if I connect the RCA cable I got a b/w screen of kickstart.

Thanks everyone

Old 23 February 2003, 14:21   #6
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by JuGz
2 I didn't connect this (16) pin because someone told me that it is useless because I can switch from the remote of my TV.. but maybe he was wrong? I'll try it then..
Yes you're right. I forgot that

Old 23 February 2003, 19:27   #7
JuGz

It worked!

Great!! I did it! I connected the +12V pin of the amiga to pin 16 of the SCART with a 150ohm resitor and TADAAA!!! I see it with colors!!!!!!!!!

You've been very helpful THANKS THANKS THANKS!!!

/me hugz everyone

Old 23 February 2003, 19:39   #8
Daz

/pats on back - even though provided no help - well done Daz!! :suspiciou
Old 24 February 2003, 01:57   #9
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

I think on some TVs you can also switch into RGB mode by pressing the video-text button on the remote control.