English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 February 2004, 16:40   #1
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
The Best Game Music In the World!

A legend is about to be reborn The Best Game Music in the World is about Amiga Game Soundtracks and will provide game music from the Amiga in MOD format (playable on most audio players like winamp) and also in MP3 format. I plan to feature well over 500 songs, all from 1985 to 1996. We are 2 working on this project. Me as head designer and a nice girl named Nina I study with who has a little retro fever inside her

Since I require a large free host with unlimited on everything basically I have been in contact with Martin Goldberg from classicgaming. He is positive over the project but says he wants more contence for a launch then there is now among other things. We are in correspondence over email and still working out details but we're very motivated by his reply earlier today.

However we greatly require help with the pre launch of the site. Mainly I'm asking for help in writing mini intro’s for the games that will have their soundtrack featured online. If you help us launch this project, we will be very greatfull and you will of course be credited on the site. You can write about any game that is not featured with a review on the site already.

If you visit my temp site down under you can enter the top 10 CD32 soundtracks and see how I plan the reviews to be like. Currently there is 10 reviews but I have a feeling classicgaming will request at least 50 soundtracks with full info before launching the site.

So what ya think of the idea guys? Your help Will make The Best Game Music In the World!
Old 18 February 2004, 17:19   #2
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

Thumbs up Great project

It's a good project, don t hesitate to ask if you need any help.
I noticed you didn t have reviews yet for Fighting Spirit... that one is for me so
Old 18 February 2004, 17:44   #3
Rochabian

Arrow Need Help????????????

To support you in your project i will review the games Superfrog and Worms from Team17.

Let's go...;

Old 18 February 2004, 18:01   #4
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Re: Need Help????????????

Quote:
Originally posted by Rochabian
To support you in your project i will review the games Superfrog and Worms from Team17.

Let's go...;
Er, he is going a game music chart site, not a review site...
Old 18 February 2004, 18:08   #5
TheBoss

Actually each soundtrack availabe does have a small review but the review is a mix of game info and music info. You could say an Intro or mini review. Since we have a large soundtrack collection onhand your welcome to review any game you want. If you have any suggestions my ears are wide open It should be noted that normal game review are equally accepted. I personally try and mix my reviews of game and soundtrack together but having either a review consentrating on the game or music only is fine.

Thx for the support guys

Last edited by TheBoss; 18 February 2004 at 19:31.
Old 20 February 2004, 00:14   #6
Dasse

sounds really great!

Yo boss!

I will start to help you and will choose the game "traps `n tresures"

Old 21 February 2004, 14:00   #7
TheBoss

If all goes well I might have a good host in a week from now. Actually I already have 1 but its only as last usage since it featured banner at top and down...very irritating Anyway how would you guys prefere to download the Mp3 soundtracks on? Either as a hole archive compressed or selectable tracks in a soundtrack? Also I plan to either upload mp3s as 128kbps or 192kbps, which one you prefere?
Old 21 February 2004, 14:12   #8
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBoss
Also I plan to either upload mp3s as 128kbps or 192kbps, which one you prefere?
Both of those suck to be honest. You should at least use OGG quality 9 or MPC "Insane" quality.
Old 21 February 2004, 14:46   #9
TheBoss

They dont actually suck but yeah I have thought of OGG but do all major burning programs like NERO support OGG to CD audio conversation? I can imagine some of our downloaders will like to use the music to copy into their existing downloaded iso CDTV/CD32 games from sites like BTTR or For Amiga Fans.
Old 21 February 2004, 15:35   #10
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Then at least use DECENT quality MP3s. 128 is absoloutely awful and is not even worth considdering, 192 is better, but still has major flaws.

You need to use something like LAME with the setting --alt-preset extreme. I have even written a guide about it here - http://atomnet.co.uk/?p=guides&id=4
Old 21 February 2004, 15:57   #11
TheBoss

Thx for the guide I will read it in a few minutes What are exactly these faws in 192kpbs you talk about I should be aware of? I made tests of my own comparing 128kbps and 192kbps to original CD Audio and though I can hear a difference using 128kbps, I hardly can say the same with 192kbps which sounds great in my oppinion and not to forget the compression it offers. We should remember that not everyone have cable/dls connections in this world.

Btw I'm using the excellent cdex for ripping CD audio with.
http://www.cdex.n3.net/
Old 21 February 2004, 16:24   #12
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

EAC is prefered by most professionals due to more secure methods used.
Old 22 February 2004, 12:33   #13
Critter

with the LAME encoder, sure works a treat!

gl with the music games project
Old 22 February 2004, 19:45   #14
Amiga1992

Re: The Best Game Music In the World!

128kbps is enough for music that comes from an Amiga.

It feels strange that Classsicgaming has accepted your entry, if I was you I would, just in case, find a possible second route to free unlimited hosting, since they forbid me to have any possibly copyrighted material in our site, that includes roms and video game soundtracks. So be careful, this guy might not know about the regulations of teh Gamespy network. Sounds stange being that he works in there, but it happened to me. Gamespy don't pay much attention to Classicgaming really, and they will put whomever up there to run it. Actually, that network has been headkless for years, dunno if someone now runs it. Be careful. He might agree on having your site online and someday you might receive a mail from him or any other Gamespy representative saying that the material you posses has to be taken down for possible copyright infringement.

ALSO, you will have to upload ALL archive files (ie all yoru music) to FilePlanet, which is a right PAIN IN THE ARSE to get into, unless you register and all that lame shit.

I would avoid classicgaming. It used to be THE place to do this kind of thing, but nowadays, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Just my 2 pence, have in mind I do not talk from my rear end, I've been having a site on classicgaming.om and dealing with Gamespy for about 5 years, and I know how it all changed because I've seen it change radically :P
Old 22 February 2004, 19:48   #15
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Re: Re: The Best Game Music In the World!

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
128kbps is enough for music that comes from an Amiga.
I couldn't disagree more. Listen to the music normally, and then listen to it as a 128Kbps MP3. There will be a huge difference as well as horrid metalic artifacts and range compression. Music from an Amiga may not be the best quality in the world, but there is no need to make it sound a lot worse.
Old 22 February 2004, 20:03   #16
Amiga1992

Listen, I hear and have heard music enough in my life and I know the differences. For my music I encode at a minimum of 192kbps, but for Amiga music it would make no difference or metallic artifacts. Unless you use the stupidest MP3 compression around.

Also, if people want the full-on experience they should download the MOD file and play it in an Amiga, or in Deliplayer.

The quality of Amiga sound is actually quite bloody good, the thing is, the music in games and demos use sounds that can be smashed down to smithereens with compression without fears.
Old 22 February 2004, 20:12   #17
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

This site is about the best Amiga tunes, and therefore this isn't just some backing to some insane demo, it is like the entire point in the site. If you aren't going to make the primary point of the site sound good, why bother at all?

Quote:
the music in games and demos use sounds that can be smashed down to smithereens with compression without fears.
Not even going to comment.
Old 22 February 2004, 20:17   #18
TheBoss

Nice info about classicgaming Akira i never knew this. They havent accepted me yet but they said it was an interesting project and they outlined a few things i needed to have in order before they can accept me. They require wast amount of info for each soundtrack featured online and currently we are working out exactly what this wast amount of info should be... I havent heard from them in 4 days now so Its a bit slow communicating with them...oh well. Just to be on the safe side I have contacted other potentional hosts a few days ago.. Already have 1 on the hook but it has banners top and under so its only for last usage!

Maybe I should make a poll about this 128/192kbps question as alot have a different opinions on the subject I will of couse only make mp3 files of the CDTV/CD32 games I have with CD audio.
Old 22 February 2004, 20:29   #19
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Why not make a 128Kbps version for deaf people and a quality 9 OGG file for everyone else?
Old 22 February 2004, 20:50   #20
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Enverex
Why not make a 128Kbps version for deaf people and a quality 9 OGG file for everyone else?
Why not offer only MOD versions and let the lame people make their own huge audio files for their "elite" ears' delectation?

Boss: About banners, clasicgaming HAS THEM AS WELL and you have to put them (suposedly ) at the top of each page.