English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 May 2011, 14:46   #41
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

If they are mixed only 2 ports will work or in worst case none. Unless you input some voltage it shouldn't destroy anything but better don't mix up.
Old 12 May 2011, 20:41   #42
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBase View Post
If they are mixed only 2 ports will work or in worst case none. Unless you input some voltage it shouldn't destroy anything but better don't mix up.
I've just bought you another. A question to clarify: Look at the last photo I've posted (the Clockport expander of Mfilos, exactly as mine): Have you put the cables like that?
Old 12 May 2011, 21:50   #43
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

OK Guys, I decided to take a risk and swap my cables to see what happened.

I made a test plan, here it is: -

I took out my 3.9 roms and placed my 3.1 roms in just incase that made any difference. I disconnected my Delfina and used only the Subway. I connected to each port in succession and let the machine boot, then checked in Trident if the subway was detected and I also checked to see if all my devices connected to ports were visible. Here are the results: -

Revision B clock port expander wired as of Retrofan and mfilos' Rev A units.

Port 0 worked 3 out of 3 times (but none of the connected devices were found)
Port 1 worked 2 out of 3 times (all devices found each time Subway was found)
Port 2 worked 3 out of 3 times (all devices found each time)
Port 3 worked 2 out of 3 times (all devices found each time subway was found)

Each time I swapped over the cable to the next port my machine reset itself between 1 to 3 times more than normal. I assume this is to do with the subway software reconfiguring.

As you can see it behaves a little like DJBase said, in my case quite alot better, but that maybe has something to do with my +5V direct feed??

I then put my wires back how I used to have them (how DJBase says they should be) and performed the tests again. Suffice to say it found the subway and the devices each and every time 3 out of 3 on each port. it also reset 1 to 3 times (quite random, not sure why it was sometimes 2 or 3 instead of just 1 extra reset).

I then finished off by putting my Subway back on port 0 and the delfina back on port 2. All working fine.

So Retrofan and mfilos, if you guys are feeling nervous about what to do, try the same tests as me. Each time you touch the expander, be sure to give an extra little push on the main connector to the A1200 board. Its a bast for the slightest wrong movement (hence why i put mine on a flexible cable) It is a little puzzling why your wires are opposite to mine... Fernando, I know you bought yours off ebay, so someone could have messed with it, but Marios, where did you get yours from?
Old 12 May 2011, 22:37   #44
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I've just bought you another. A question to clarify: Look at the last photo I've posted (the Clockport expander of Mfilos, exactly as mine): Have you put the cables like that?
Well it seems that they are wrong on the picture, they should be done like on Rev B. I haven't any Rev A left so I can't test or check.
Old 12 May 2011, 22:42   #45
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

You are more than a friend trying that in your Amiga.... In fact I've got my A1200 mod stopped since I began with the C=64 mod, but I haven't tried still the Delfina with the clockport expander. I've bought a new Clockport expander a couple of days ago to DjBase and I'm planning to use it in that mod.

DjBase still hasn't answered my question, buy I think he has wired his new revision the same as yours. I'll have to see it, and then I will connect red with black, as I'm not desoldering it again.

EDIT: I was a little late to see your answer Dj...
Old 12 May 2011, 22:49   #46
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Great stuff! I'm glad all this is sorted as its been niggling in the back of my mind. I have had no problems (apart form the +5V dropping out, but thats another story) all this time i've been running it so figured it was ok. Anyway, no probs Fernando, I hope now you can continue with your A1200 modifications feeling a little better, and thanks DJBase for making everything clear
Old 12 May 2011, 23:02   #47
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks Les, but what I'm thinking is that I'll be connecting red with black and the contrary to pin 1 for the Delfina...
Old 12 May 2011, 23:43   #48
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Yeah, just swap the wires as they are soldered to the Clock port expander, as long as you know your red and black wires are now effectively opposite its no problem. And yes, the red stripe on the delfina is opposite that of the Subway. Where the clock port expander says "Pin 1" thats where the red stripe for subway sits fine, but delfina, make sure the red stripe is OPPOSITE the "pin 1" marker on the expander.
Old 13 May 2011, 00:16   #49
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, I understand all this changes, but perhaps Dj should think in making a "right" wired port for the Delfina, as 4 ports can leave one for that.
Old 13 May 2011, 08:24   #50
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

I don't think thats a good idea mate, it could cause confusion even more dangerous circumstances if someone were not aware of the Delfina. I think the Delfina is the only clock port device made with the red stripe the opposite way.

A better solution might be to do like Jens did on the Amiga 600 A603 Chip RAM expansion. On each port put a marker for subway (and other devices) and a marker for delfina. Physically swapping one of the ports especially for the delfina is dangerous, and also, what if you want the delfina on a different port? (fitting problems etc). I agree that a better solution than just "Pin 1" is needed, but I like Jens' markers on the A603

Edit: -

Look at the clock port on the A603: -

Last edited by phipscube; 13 May 2011 at 08:28. Reason: adding photo
Old 13 May 2011, 09:01   #51
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, "Red marker Delfina" is something he should write on them, or at least put something about it.
Old 13 May 2011, 10:46   #52
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

I will think about it if I will do another batch.
Old 26 May 2011, 13:13   #53
Schoenfeld
electricky.

If you do another batch, then please use proper clockport numbering. A clockport starts counting at pin 19 and it ends at 40.

Jens
Old 26 May 2011, 21:12   #54
Daedalus

True, at least then people can compare their documents to the clockport as if it's a real one. However, having markers like Jens puts on his boards would be the safest - you can see here that having a cable with pin 1 marked is confusing anyway as some products expect them to be backwards, but having a pin 1 marked cable and a connector that only has 19-40 marked isn't exactly intuitive.

Oh, and swapping the two wires over from the ROM should only change the addresses of the ports around, from memory ports 1&2 would become ports 3&4 and vice versa. Some drivers/boards need specific addresses, others work on any port so you might not even notice, and any picky hardware could be made to work by connecting to a different physical port...

Last edited by Daedalus; 26 May 2011 at 21:22. Reason: Extra info
Old 28 May 2011, 15:27   #55
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Other idea....what about using letters like A, B and leave a description in the manual? The space is a bit limited on the board to write down all devices.
Old 29 May 2011, 23:54   #56
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

I think that's a good idea DJBase. Something like this?: -

A - red marker position for Subway (and other clockport devices)
B - red marker position for Delfina.

Is the Delfina the only clockport device with the red marker opposite to Subway? If not, then a list of each device under A of B would be better, like this: -

A - red marker position for: -

Subway
etc
etc

B - red marker position for: -

Delfina
etc
etc
Old 04 June 2011, 17:34   #57
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hey Dj have you already sent this new batch or are you finishing them? I ask 'cause I still haven't receive it.

Edit: Just to say that of course I received it. Thanks DJBase.

Last edited by Retrofan; 17 January 2017 at 23:21.