English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 February 2002, 23:43   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Fred's Top 20 Console Games

Such that we here love the Amiga, it is the main focus of our attention and discussion.
And often, we bring up memories of Atari St, C-64, MSX, Nintendo, etc gaming and computing as well. We love the games that did not need mods or networking to be loved. And so, Trying a new trick, I decided to make a list loosely based on my erstwhile ally Cody Jarret's fine threads here.
There are 2 common criterion for this list.

1. Must be NON Amiga game. Never published on the Amiga.
2. Must be old school, no higher than 16 bit.
Feel free to suggest a game to me in PM, for, unlike my freind Cody, I have decided to pay deference to the tastes of the masses in at least 2 spots on my list. if a game here
was indeed published on the Amiga, let me know, and it shall be purged.
Whore.

Master of Monsters (Enix, 1991)
Sgea Genesis / Megadrive

Ahhh..the joys of shooting "brusts" of energy at an opposing monster. Almost as fulfilling as tying an enemy demon in a "not".
Japan, home of 200% literacy rates and suicide minded kids who score a mere 95 on their Advanced trigonometry class, is well known for translating games into "demi English". Don't ask me why, but they do.
This endearing trait is one of the nuances of Master of Monsters, one such game. This is a turn based game that looks like a fantasy war board game, hexes and all. Even the icons of the monsters are meant to resemble little plastic pieces.

Synopsis- The objective of the game is to choose a master-able to summon monsters and use magic- and use those monsters and magic to battle other masters (either human or computer controlled) until your master is the last one left standing. There are several different types of masters. Ecah with a lean towards the chaos, light or neutral side. The game keeps track of moon and sun phases, the chaos masters and light masters deriving more power during those phases respectively.
Summoners, Darklords, Wizards etc, can summon certain types of monsters. Some monsters, they cannot summon. A Wizard cannot summon an angel, but can summon a minotaur. The reverse is true for a Summoner. Also, magic mp, which is replenished at the end of rounds, can be ajusted to offer challenge. The power to summon is derived from the amount of castles the master occupies. The more castles, the more slots for monsters. Also, a master can only move in his immediate summoning area, so his monsters are the ones that must eventually kill his rival(s).
As for the monsters, there are plenty to choose from. Several kinds of dragon, golems, demons, romans, etc can be created. And, once they reach a certain amount of experience, they morph into very cool super beasts. And some of these super beasts morph into ultra powerful ....ultra beasts. Cut scenes of the battle between monsters add a pedantic touch. Bleh.
These monsters battle to control the castles, which also heal them as they occupy them.
Rounding out these options are elementals, that a master can summon to wreack havoc on monsters. You want to try and guess what the 4 elementals are they sure aren't Sugar, Cinnamon, Garlic and Cilantro

There are some inconsistencies in the game, however. Besides the lower grade graphics and spelling errors, computer controlled masters can use only one magic, "Meteor", which is a shower of space rocks, for all you geniuses that did not know that. There are only 2 campaign games. and some really swell monsters, like the Musashi and the Crawfish Man, err, Lobster Man, can only be created by computer controlled masters in campaign games. A trade off, perhaps?
I love this game, otherwise, and it is a total blast with 3 or more players. Little alliances (I always break my alliances to be annoying. I like to annoy people, as some of you may know)
can be formed, and you can go and make a bowelmovement as your pal takes his turn.
It is very much like a grand Archon, the monsters being similar. The battles, however, are not arcade style but dice-throw based computer controlled fare.
I suggest you downlaod a Genesis emulator and head over to PE 2000 or Edge Emulation and grab the tosec version, as some others floating around on the net are bad dumps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	master-of-monsters_01.gif
Views:	776
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	1777  
Old 07 February 2002, 23:45   #2
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Another screenshot of a battle between an angel and a elemental, Bowelmovement man.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	master-of-monsters_02.gif
Views:	782
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1778  
Old 08 February 2002, 21:54   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

I PM'ed you yesterday, Fredawhore (TM), why hasn't my suggestion (Combat - Atari 2600) been added

And how about H.E.R.O. for the 2600, Colecovision and Commodore (And Atari) 8 bit computers? (One of my all time favourite games)
Old 08 February 2002, 23:13   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Hey!! A reply!
A reply!! Someone cares! Someone cares! Seems the drawing power of Cody and Amiga games has been smashed!! Oh.
UHHmmmm..Ok, Ian, I'll do some research and put up a review
The other people who have not replied are dicks.
Old 08 February 2002, 23:32   #5
oldpx

I guess people are waiting for number 19, probably a more familiar and less odd looking game to reply. (Do you need help on Master System? )

Old 08 February 2002, 23:32   #6
Amiga1992

Hey, i'd nominate Sonic teh Hedgehog for a spot in thsi list,. It is, IMO, the end-all platform game for any system.... Specially Sonic 2 on the Genesis
Old 08 February 2002, 23:33   #7
Drake1009

Who's the good guy? The angel or the bowel movement?
Old 08 February 2002, 23:39   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ah, Drake..everyone knows that the bowelmovement is the good guy....don't you know that BM is good..that its our freind?
Why, without BM, we'd all die of perontinitis at a very young age.
Akira, that game was on my list, pray be patient, your request will be granted 'ere long.
Hmmm, Burseg, I'll tell ya...there is only one Master System game on my list. I'll give ya 3 guesses as to which one it is

// Amigaboy says: Here's my semi-reply Fred.......
Old 09 February 2002, 00:01   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Anybody played Platoon on the C-64? Zzap peed their pants over this game, but if it's anything like the Amiga version, then those guys are on crack. I bought it for the Amiga when it came out and thought it was total garbage. After reading the C-64 review in Zzap, I popped in the game again for a go in WinUAE and it was as shit as I remembered it. Yeesh! Has anyone played this atrocity on the C-64 to see if it merits the praise the 8-bit version received? I would try it, but my PC is so buggered right now that I can't get any C-64 or Amstrad emulator to work without instant crash-a-rama. Dammit!
Old 09 February 2002, 00:04   #10
oldpx

1. Wonderboy III - The Dragon's Trap
2. Phantasy Star
3. Since Ultima IV can't be here for it's a conversion, I guess it's Space Harrier.

I was about to play platoon with my C64 thanks to eveyone who helped me with t64->wav conversion stuff but my datasette needs to be hmm what do you call it...tweaked with a screwdriver. Only if I had my old cartridge with the necessary software to do this now.

Last edited by Burseg; 09 February 2002 at 00:10.

Old 09 February 2002, 03:09   #11
Uukrul

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
I would try it, but my PC is so buggered right now that I can't get any C-64 or Amstrad emulator to work without instant crash-a-rama. Dammit!
I love the CPC version and David Whittaker's music is superb

Best console games:

SNES - Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts
NES - Blue Shadows

Old 09 February 2002, 03:29   #12
jmmijo

You know I could never get into the (S)NES thing, my old skool fav was the Mattel Intellivision, I even had the Mk II model and a shitload of carts. I think I still have them in the basement. Probably next to all my C64/C128 stuff

To me the best console game was, B-17 if I remember correctly for the Intellivision with the speech module. That thing was great, even before the Vic20 and C64 days.

Yes I agree that David Whittiker was a great musician.
Old 24 February 2002, 00:28   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

Angry ....

Still waiting for Combat to be added to this list

CodyJ' has nothing to fear from this list Fred

Old 24 February 2002, 03:35   #14
Fissuras
Old Luny

HERO HERO HERO

I also vote for H.E.R.O. I had it on my Atari2600, and I still play it in a MSX emulator (I mean, the MSX version, of course).
Old 24 February 2002, 03:39   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hey, H.E.R.O. was also released for MSX ! It's a very cool game indeed.

I know Master of Monsters, and I consider it to be quite shit. Anyway, it's more the kind of game that Fred plays, not my kind (I like action games, like everyone knows). I always had in mind it was a game from Koei, as every shitty strategy game for Mega-Drive seems to be made by Koei (although many people like those boring games)

The Master-System has other cool games besides WonderBoy, Phantasy Star and Ultima IV. But I bet the whore will say Phantasy Star, because it's one of those boring games he likes.
Old 25 February 2002, 15:16   #16
blackcornflake

Combat! Atari 2600! Damn right!

And Punchout (NES), too.

Thank you.
Old 20 March 2002, 12:50   #17
CHiEF
Captain

@Twistin'Ghost :

Platoon on the c-64 was an awesome game, alas i think that by playing it on Amiga first you will have spoilt this game for youself. the game was one of my personal faves on the c-64 but i think that it was more down to those wicked tunes and cool sound affects and the surprise factor when i got genuienly scared of the vietnamese soldiers that randomly jump out from nowhere that did it! oh and the gameplay is pretty damn hot too! what a game... you have truly missed something there!
Old 20 March 2002, 14:56   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks for the info. I just thought the Amiga version looked shoveled over and the enemies that appeared just seemed calculated and random, diminishing any believability. So there was no fear factor when they appeared (like in, for example, Alien3 which made me jump when the aliens came shooting towards me!)

Amiga Platoon even received a 73 from AP, which is a much higher score than I would expect from them. Perhaps they had fond memories from the C-64 version and those points were romanticized from nostalgic memories?
Old 21 March 2002, 04:06   #19
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Where Fred has been? He needs to finish this thread.....
Old 21 March 2002, 05:19   #20
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Hey, i'd nominate Sonic teh Hedgehog for a spot in thsi list,. It is, IMO, the end-all platform game for any system.... Specially Sonic 2 on the Genesis
Sonic is the best game on the Genesis/Megadrive!!!

I finished Sonic 1 the other day using Dgen!!