English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 14 October 2018, 22:24   #21
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
How will the big keys be stabilised?
Hi, they will be stabilised by using the plastic inserts and wire bar on keys >2.0
Old 14 October 2018, 23:07   #22
LieutLaww

Do you have a UK supplier sorted yet ? As I really want one of these for my 1200 !!
Old 14 October 2018, 23:10   #23
talybont

Great work!
Old 14 October 2018, 23:22   #24
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutLaww View Post
Do you have a UK supplier sorted yet ? As I really want one of these for my 1200 !!
I have 2 in mind i will use.

As it stands now the a1200 version needs 1 final build, i need to confirm measurements for 2 keycaps tomorrow and then i will submit for fabrication. This will take approx 12 days and then checking etc. during this time i will try to sort out the keycaps and try to get a price.

If you look at wasdkeyboards.com and other sites you can get an idea of prices and options for cherry MX keyboards. For me i like the light grey and bright yellow keys. Buying in bulk is the way to go so a group buy is the best option. i am not sure of the interest in this keyboard, i think people like it but do they like it enough to buy ?
Old 14 October 2018, 23:45   #25
Marchie

Awesome sauce. Great work Kipper!
Old 15 October 2018, 01:26   #26
Mick

I'd definitely be interest in a couple of A500/A1200 MX keyboards depending on price, possibly a A600 in case of a future new case. In terms of cap colours I'd probably just want whatever is closest match to the original Amiga key colours, I'm boring.
Old 15 October 2018, 08:11   #27
xraynorm

This is great news.

Would it be possible to have a notch removed from the pcb for the HxC floppy emulator? I had to cut the metal housing of my keyboard to make it fit.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zBXUJwFKO9A/maxresdefault.jpg
Old 15 October 2018, 08:14   #28
oscillik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
I have 2 in mind i will use.

As it stands now the a1200 version needs 1 final build, i need to confirm measurements for 2 keycaps tomorrow and then i will submit for fabrication. This will take approx 12 days and then checking etc. during this time i will try to sort out the keycaps and try to get a price.

If you look at wasdkeyboards.com and other sites you can get an idea of prices and options for cherry MX keyboards. For me i like the light grey and bright yellow keys. Buying in bulk is the way to go so a group buy is the best option. i am not sure of the interest in this keyboard, i think people like it but do they like it enough to buy ?
Firstly, I'd like to say that having just bought an A1200 so I can get back into the Amiga hardware, seeing this thread is very cool — the possibility of a Cherry switch internal keyboard for the Amiga is awesome. Thanks for all your efforts with getting this off the ground!

With regards to the keycaps though, how compatible are the currently available keycaps on the market for Cherry MX stems (I mean in terms of compatibility with the case, and with matching the original shape / dimensions of the original keycaps)? And what profile would be best suited here?
Old 15 October 2018, 09:25   #29
demolition
Unregistered User

This sounds awesome - I just got a mechanical keyboard for my C64 (MechBoard 64) and now there will soon be one for the Amiga as well.

The MechBoard 64 use 3D-printed adapters which makes it possible to attach original C64 keycaps on the Cherry MX stems and it would be nice if something similar could be done for the Amiga if you wanted it to look 100% original. But if it would be possible to make some good looking regular MX keycaps with the proper symbols then I guess that could be enough.

How are you handling caps lock? On the MechBoard 64, he used the same momentary switch as the other keys and then did the caps lock feature with a small circuit. Seems like a good solution.

Crossing my fingers that it can be made for a reasonable price as then I'd definitely have one.
Old 15 October 2018, 09:53   #30
betajaen

Very very cool!

I've been experimenting with 3D printing, to see if I can get make an adapter for the Mitsumi plunger in the A1200 keyboard with a Cherry MX Stem. Basically an adapter to put an inverted + in a square hole. I've come up with a few things, but my 3D printer can't print things that small.

I'm not lost yet though, I've ordered some a few Cherry MX switches to see if I can just put the plunger part in the Mitsumi plunger (maybe with a bit of glue to help).

However; this new keyboard looks very promising indeed!
Old 15 October 2018, 10:31   #31
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
How are you handling caps lock? On the MechBoard 64, he used the same momentary switch as the other keys and then did the caps lock feature with a small circuit. Seems like a good solution.
That's basically how it's done on the Amiga anyway - the caps lock key is just a momentary key like any other. It's the keyboard controller that translates it into the toggle action that's seen by the OS.

Regarding caps lock, I'm more interested to know whether suitable keycaps are available with an integrated lens for the caps lock LED...
Old 15 October 2018, 10:40   #32
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
That's basically how it's done on the Amiga anyway - the caps lock key is just a momentary key like any other. It's the keyboard controller that translates it into the toggle action that's seen by the OS.

Regarding caps lock, I'm more interested to know whether suitable keycaps are available with an integrated lens for the caps lock LED...
Wrt. caps lock, you are right. I have been using the C64 too much I guess.
A transparent lens for the caps lock LED would be nice, however just having the light shine around the key would also be good enough in my opinion. As long it is visible. On the MechBoard it just shines below the non-transparent original C64 keycap and it is clearly visible.
Old 15 October 2018, 10:41   #33
oscillik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post

Double-shot keys exist for Cherry MX stems, but not that key size and lighting position. It would have to be custom made.
Old 15 October 2018, 10:47   #34
Daedalus

Having the glow under the key might be a nice effect actually. Looking forward to seeing these anyway!
Old 15 October 2018, 12:30   #35
kipper2k

The caps lock as mentioned is part of the controller, both a500 and 1200 so there is no special circuitry necessary, just needs a LED across 2 of the data lines which when the caps lock is toggled will energise the LED, The LED is part of the Keyboard PCB and the hole in the plate allows the light to shine up through. If you use clear MX switches then you can get the benefit of LEDs you can mount to the PCB. I have included the SMD Pads for resistors and a 12v header (completely independent of the main circuitry, I dont want people sucking back the power of their 5v rail..

a couple of solutions to the LED is is to either use a really bright LED so you can easily see the glow or what i may do for myself will be to drill a small hole in the top right corner and either leave it open or put some transparent glue in the hole . And who knows, i may be pleasantly surprised by being able to purchase them.

As for the sizes of the keys, I have been told all the sizes the Amiga uses are available (including the massive spacebar, here is a layout i done up ...

As you can see, this is an A1200 layout (PAL version), i just need to change the "A" key to a symbol instead of a character. I know some of you will take offence to my colour choice lol, but that's fine.

Last edited by kipper2k; 15 October 2018 at 12:43.
Old 15 October 2018, 12:43   #36
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I love the idea those minimigs can FINALLY use keyboard with Amiga layout. Through an adaptor.
Old 15 October 2018, 12:46   #37
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
As for the sizes of the keys, I have been told all the sizes the Amiga uses are available (including the massive spacebar, here is a layout i done up ...
Perhaps the sizes are available, but are they also available with the correct angle, that is for the row they are used?
Old 15 October 2018, 12:47   #38
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Perhaps the sizes are available, but are they also available with the correct angle, that is for the row they are used?
short answer, yes, all angles for the rows are available. This is why i went through a few shops as they were limited to what sizes and rows were available so ended up going to the manufacturer who supplies the shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraynorm View Post
This is great news.

Would it be possible to have a notch removed from the pcb for the HxC floppy emulator? I had to cut the metal housing of my keyboard to make it fit.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zBXUJwFKO9A/maxresdefault.jpg
Show me a picture of inside where the conflict is and i can take a look at it. Chances are it should not be an issue as there will be no metal bar and the PCB is shorter

@thread.. can people just look over the layout i posted earlier for the PAL layout and let me know if there are any errors. thanks (i moved the Arrows to the correct row)

Last edited by kipper2k; 15 October 2018 at 14:52.
Old 15 October 2018, 14:59   #39
Mick

Some of the symbols are hard to make out but the only differences I can see is the caps lock, enter and right shift key are not coloured. I wasn't blinded by them.
Old 15 October 2018, 15:05   #40
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Some of the symbols are hard to make out but the only differences I can see is the caps lock, enter and right shift key are not coloured. I wasn't blinded by them.

I can fix that ... there, Done!