English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 November 2020, 12:18   #61
White

I had had to postpone the purchase of the ryzen 3600XT

Hoping that the ryzen 5600X is available for December
I've seen the tests and it looks like the single-core gap has finally been bridged now it's much closer to intel processors.
Well as soon as available I hope to finally use this processor with the 4.1FE.

If someone uses it it would be interesting to have his opinion with the use of 4.1FE.
Thanks
Old 11 November 2020, 13:45   #62
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I have ordered 5950X, not sure when it arrives but when it does, I'll do some comparisons. I expect big increase in emulation performance because every core now has access to full 32M L3 cache (vs only half in previous generation). And other improvements.
Old 11 November 2020, 14:07   #63
dreadnought

I did build a new PC around a 3600 in the meantime, but haven't installed WinUAE on it yet. Would there be any difference from my i5-35?? when it comes to "old era" A500/1200 games?
Old 11 November 2020, 14:13   #64
White

The results appear to be astounding.
I raised my budget the 5600X seems like a great base
at one point I had opted for the i9 10900k processor
considering investing in a computer for the next 10 years but fortunately then I read about the problems with PCIe 4.0 and Multi-threaded then I read about the new ryzen 5000 series
I am 51 years old I think that the 5600x is sufficient combined with a graphics card like the 2060 (this could be replaced in the future I still have to understand what is better for the graphics card) or something similar by paying the processor less
May it be a good investment.
It's probably the last computer I buy (maybe)
I would like to be at least 20 years younger (but not everything is possible).
;-)
Old 11 November 2020, 14:31   #65
White

I saw it on the amd website but the order is not yet available at least in europe and not even on amazon
apart from a seller who sells it for "400 euros"
I wait in this case :-)
Old 17 November 2020, 13:02   #66
White

Toni
I guess given the cost of the 5950X processor you have chosen a motherboard at the height.
Is it possible to know which one? thanks

After a lot of advice received in this thread and personal research I have chosen these components in the next few days I will place the order:
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS, AMD B550 ATX Gaming Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B 3600 MHz CL16
Corsair RM750 ATX Power Supply, Fully Modular, 80 Plus Gold, 750 Watt, RM Series
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-DELTA RGB Mid-Tower Gaming Case
Corsair Hydro H100X Liquid CPU Cooling System, 240mm Radiator
price about 550 euros without CPU and video card

cpu 5600X I have yet to find it at the moment the prices are high
video card still to choose based on my 27 'inch 1080p

any further advice is greatly appreciated and I hope it will be useful for others as well

I hope to finally use 4.1FE as I always wanted to do
if then even this hardware is not enough patience I will have updated the computer. :-)
Old 17 November 2020, 13:41   #67
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I updated mainboard about half a year ago to https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X570-ACE (I needed more NVME slots and selected one that is guaranteed to have proper next generation ryzen support) Obviously my hardware choice isn't good if you want budget option and don't need dozens of cores

GPU still needs update (1080Ti) but it is almost impossible to get NVidia cards And most likely very soon to be released AMD boards have same problem..

Your list seems fine. Bonus points for not selecting no-name crappy "1000W" PSU
Old 17 November 2020, 14:16   #68
White

Toni,
thanks for the reply i imagined that the motherboard you had chosen was high end was to have an extra idea.
I am also pleased that you have seen the list of my choices and have given your opinion, I have removed further doubts.
I hadn't built a computer for years, which is not an easy thing to do.
The last computer I bought was used (i7 4770k) was already complete with everything.
thanks for your opinion. :-)
Old 17 November 2020, 16:13   #69
dreadnought

You don't need

-"liquid cpu cooling system" unless you plan on serious overclocking. The fan which will come with your CPU will be just fine, even for gaming.
-"gaming" case unless you really want to put on a light show or stick 5 fans in it
-Asus motherboard: MSI or Gigabyte can be as good and are cheaper

Also, you should choose the PSU power based on your choice of GPU and, to lesser extent, CPU. Most likely 750W is an overkill (and a Bronze cert would be fine too). Try this: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

All these things come with hefty premiums. Even if budget is not an issue, there really is no point in spending money on something that which will never be utilised.

Myself, I've waited for Ryzen 3300X, then got tired of it and just went for 5 3600. At the moment scalpers are the kings of the market and whatever new hot hardware comes out it's being insta snapped and offered with huge markups on ebay. So, you can wait for that 5600x, but is there really a point? By the time it normalizes, there will be some new "Intel/5600X killer" coming - it's an endless loop. I'd just buy something that's available now and enjoy that.
Old 17 November 2020, 17:23   #70
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I didn't want to choose that path which is why only said "it is fine" but..

- Point of AIO water cooler today is mostly not about cooling capacity but a) it is light b) heat is guaranteed to get out of the case c) radiator can have bigger and slower and more fans than normal CPU cooler = less noise.
- 550W is most likely more than enough. (if quality one!) PSU calculators are mostly useless.

I don't comment about RGB stuff..

3000 series is obviously obsolete now if you care about single thread performance (and you should if it is about emulation).
Old 17 November 2020, 17:50   #71
dreadnought

If you have a decent case with 1-2 fans the heat will get out anyway. As for noise, the real one will come from the GPU.
PSU calcualtors are a good tool as a quick, overall estimate, especially for less experienced users.

I will leave it at that though, as I don't want to squabble over PC specs - there's nothing more boring than that

As for 3000s being "obsolete", that's quite interesting. After all, I was asking in this thread before, what real impact modern processors have on Amiga emulation.

I mean, in terms of everyday use, let's say for A500/A1200 zone, and separately for the "modern" one.
Old 17 November 2020, 17:58   #72
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

OP needs as much as CPU performance as possible because he wants to run OS4.x in emulation. 3000 series really is obsolete for this situation, technically it was obsolete even before it was released because most likely any recent Intel CPU was at least slightly faster in this use case.

Mostly unexpanded A500/A1200 does not need anything special. Any CPU you can buy is more than fast enough.
Old 17 November 2020, 18:20   #73
White

@dreadnought
For the lights you are right I never liked them, I guess the option to turn them off is in the bios as in my current configuration.
The ryzen 3600 is a great processor but what always kept me waiting was the performance in single thread which left me some doubts even if it was still good.
The ryzen 5600x solved this problem.
I like to save when I can but I said to myself since I am there I take a starting base configured well and later in 2-3 years I think of a graphics card like the geforce 3070 connected to an appropriate monitor but this remains only a hypothesis made now .
I like reading opinions and I am not offended by these things there is always something to learn.
But I am 51 years old probably it is the last computer I buy also to play with it I saw pong 40 years ago and I have followed all the growth and evolution of games and technology grow over time.
In short, I really hope that this configuration makes the 4.1FE run as I hope.
Unfortunately as I have asked several times I have never seen the 4.1FE run on a higher processor than my I7 4770k.
I'll try it for myself.
I really use a lot of programs on the pc side, operating system emulations, etc. in short, I hope not to be disappointed.
:-)
I will probably buy the playstation 6 in 10 years when I am 60 and I hope there is finally a virtual helmet as promised all these years. :-)
Old 17 November 2020, 19:17   #74
dreadnought

@White, no worries mate, I know where you're coming from, and that you're aiming for the long run. It's just that the certain things I pointed out will really make no difference in regard to that, and you can save yourself a reasonable chunk of cash. Eg a plain, decent case will cost subbstantially less than a stylized "gaming" one with lights.

I don't know much about 4.1 so that's why I was curious as well, and what the actual performance differences are. After all, modern processors are already quite powerful. But I understand it requires PowerPC emulation so it's probably a bottomless pit in terms of resources

I wasn't saying to buy 3600 exactly, but to consider what is available now, which is reasonably close to 5600x and yet much cheaper. After all, in couple of weeks it will be this thread's anniversary...so that's the rabbit hole I've mentioned before.

But if you don't mind waiting even longer, then 5600x definitely is quite beast. In fact I think I might go a bit crazy, seeing as I've just built this 3600 rig, and buy one myself (for gaming). I could use some extra juice, even though I'm playing only in 1080p. But I do like Reshades, ENBs and maxed out settings, so...

Here in Poland it's on sale from some official shops for ~300GBP, which is somewhat reasonable (scalpers are doing ~400GBP on ebay now), even though its real price shou;d be 300USD. I was just told that if I order one now I might get one by the end of December - but most likely in 2021. Will have to sleep on it.

Whatever you do, don't buy from scalpers plz Call some shops in your area and see what the waiting estimates they have.
Old 17 November 2020, 19:34   #75
White

@dreadnought
Thanks for the advice I always appreciate them
Speaking of sculp now on amazon the 5600X has reached 500 euros.
appearance
I had found the 5600X in Switzerland at 298 francs (275 euros) now I don't know how much is the cost of customs between Italy and Switzerland, I think not much ??
but I couldn't buy it I didn't have credit on the card :-(

For 4.1FE the example I can do is this:
with an I5 2400 youtube videos jerk with odyssey any resolution
with an I7 4770k youtube videos are smooth without jerks with a resolution 640x480 up to 1024x768 depends on the compression

If with the ryzen 5600X I can see them in full screen then I will be happy (I hope)

this is the comparison that can be made if odyssey works then everything will work perfectly
Old 17 November 2020, 19:57   #76
White

this is the site:

https://www.alltron.ch/de/product/1127420
I think it's available, if someone can help me understand if it's available tomorrow I'll take it
:-)

ok seems unavailable :-(

Last edited by White; 17 November 2020 at 20:11.
Old 17 November 2020, 23:35   #77
White

@All
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-DELTA RGB Mid-Tower Gaming Case
[ Show youtube player ]

I apologize if I return to a topic probably OT
but I have seen some video but the "cabinet" does not have the slot for the DVD player?
I've probably gotten too old
But I don't see the housing for the DVD player
I have an external USB burner I can use that if it is absent
but it seems to me that there is no housing for the DVD player I only see fans
but are the slots for the DVD player no longer used?
thanks for any advice and sorry again
Old 17 November 2020, 23:54   #78
DamienD
Banned

In my laptop there is an inbuilt "MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8A2AS CD DVD±RW Drive Burner".

I also have an external USB Plextor DVD burner lying around somewhere.

I can't even remember that last time I needed to use either; must have been well over 5 years ago...
Old 18 November 2020, 00:01   #79
White

Hi, DamienD
yes I hardly ever use them too
i have an external usb dvd that burns i can use that
so it is normal that there is not?
I did not know :-)
Old 18 November 2020, 12:44   #80
White

@dreadnought
this is what I can do with the I7 4770k overclocked to 4.2ghz
the game side "warp3D" is marginal my aim is to have the 4.1FE operating system to use as I did with my old amiga the result is very good.
If the result is positive with the ryzen 5600X I could dedicate an entire hard disk with all my amiga files to it.
As I have always said everything works fine only the CPU power is needed.
I hope that with the new generation of processors also the development of winuae can make some small steps forward with the help of other users with their reports even if even now it works very well.
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]