English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 July 2009, 22:59   #1
r3trogam3r

Retrogaming!

Hello!

Please dont consider this as spam or advertisement. Im a huge retrogaming fan and I have come up with a website dedicated to retrogaming:

http://www.flash-back.co.nr/

Im looking for staff members for the site. Im not sure if this is the wrong board or if this is against the rules, if so please delete this. Sorry mods!

Anyone interested please leave a reply.

PEACE.

Old 03 July 2009, 23:12   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi r3trogamer, and welcome to EAB!

You have the makings of an interesting site there, but it could really do with an index before it gets much bigger.

Well done so far.

prowler
Old 03 July 2009, 23:20   #3
r3trogam3r

Thanks prowler!

What kind of index do you mean? Like listing all the articles and stuff in one page?
Or an option to search for articles? Both of these features, I'll be adding ASAP. Right now I'm trying to get team together

Thank you for the suggestion.

Old 03 July 2009, 23:40   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

I suppose that what you have there is basically an index page, but there is, IMHO, too much detail. I'm not sure, for example, that this is the right place for large screenshots.

At the moment, what you have amounts to a chronological list of news headlines with links to the full stories.

Perhaps you could make the homepage the "news" page with rather less detail than at present, and when the list gets long enough, then you can start adding older news pages and so on, with the full stories accessible via links from the news page(s).

I have been trying to find another site to give you an example of what I mean, but haven't been able to find a good one quickly enough at the moment.

A facility to search for articles will be very useful too when the content gets less navigable.

I hope this helps.
Old 04 July 2009, 00:00   #5
r3trogam3r

Thanks a lot for the review, Prowler.

But first I'm going to add a search option and once I gather a few team members for the site, I'll be modifying the index to make it more simpler and less detailed as per your suggestion.

Old 05 July 2009, 22:46   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi r3trogamer,

I have been looking for a good site for you to use as an illustration of the sort of thing I had in mind when I made my suggestions above. (It was no trouble I assure you; it's not all I have been doing. )

I have actually come up with two (both Amiga related).

IntuitionBase and Obligement.

Both these sites have index pages which double as news pages, but I am surprised to see that neither has an obvious archive of old news pages.

I hope this will be of some help to you.

prowler
Old 06 July 2009, 12:27   #7
r3trogam3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi r3trogamer,
I have been looking for a good site for you to use as an illustration of the sort of thing I had in mind when I made my suggestions above. (It was no trouble I assure you; it's not all I have been doing.
hahahah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi r3trogamer,
I have actually come up with two (both Amiga related).

IntuitionBase and Obligement.

Both these sites have index pages which double as news pages, but I am surprised to see that neither has an obvious archive of old news pages.

I hope this will be of some help to you.

prowler
Yes, I understand what you mean now. I'll be updating the index page with less details that opens up another page with the full details.

The reason I made it the way it is right now is because I think it ( The big screenshots and the short descriptions ) attracts the visitor more.

And like I said before, Im having a lot of trouble forming a team for the site. So as soon as this is done, I'll work on the site.

Anyways thanks for the effort, prowler. I appreciate it!

Old 06 July 2009, 23:08   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3trogam3r View Post
Yes, I understand what you mean now. I'll be updating the index page with less details that opens up another page with the full details.

The reason I made it the way it is right now is because I think it ( The big screenshots and the short descriptions ) attracts the visitor more.
Yes, this will be a good tactic until the website is established and attracting regular visitors, then you should think about streamlining the main page and ensuring that the site is fully navigable and user-friendly. You can always embed thumbnails of the more interesting screenshots in the news summaries to make them stand out more.

I forgot to include Emu Nova, as an example of a structured website. It is an ermulators news site which I use every day.

Quote:
And like I said before, Im having a lot of trouble forming a team for the site. So as soon as this is done, I'll work on the site.
I'm looking forward to that.

Quote:
Anyways thanks for the effort, prowler. I appreciate it!
You're very welcome, mate. I'll always be pleased to help in any way I can.
Old 07 July 2009, 00:53   #9
r3trogam3r

Hello all,

I've redesigned the forum theme completely. Please have a look!

Old 07 July 2009, 01:24   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

My word, you have been busy!
Old 05 August 2009, 23:56   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey r3trogam3r,

What happened to the site?