English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 March 2009, 16:56   #1
Icofanboy

NTSC CD32 and this 1084 Monitor, please help

I am getting my first Amiga hardware, that being the CD32 very soon. I am from the US so I understand some issues I will be running into, I have already ordered an Amiga Mouse for switching from NTSC to PAL (atleast the Hz) for playing PAL games on an NTSC console.

I read that by buying a Commodore 1084 monitor it will fix any and all problems that I might have with color issues and images being cut off on the bottom when using a standard US NTSC Television. I have been thinking of buying this monitor and was wondering if this will be what I want for an NTSC Amiga CD32:

I read that using S-Video is the best way to go for NTSC to avoid all problems (or can I use composite just fine?) However I cannot clearly make out an S-Video port on this monitor (see pictures below). Also, is there going to be some kind of input for computer speakers so I can get better sound quality?

Also note these two pictures, one shows it has 50/60Hz and the other just says 60hz, will this be a problem or will it automaticaly detect both 50 and 60hz?:

Thank you for any help I can get on this monitor I realy appreciate it!

Old 24 March 2009, 17:50   #2
Cammy

If you want to use the old 1084 monitor you'll have to use the yellow composite input, they don't have S-Video. It's possible you could find a TV that supports PAL, but you would have to test many of them to find the right one.

Or you can buy one of these amazing new expansions that will allow you to plug your CD32 into any VGA monitor, LCD TV or whatever else has a VGA plug in it - http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=864

I have one in my A1200 and it's fixed all my screen problems
Old 24 March 2009, 17:53   #3
Cammy

Oh yeah, and as for computer speakers, providing they're powered they should easily plug into the CD32's headphone socket. Or you can use the L/R audio connectors and plug it into an amp.
Old 24 March 2009, 18:51   #4
Bootay

Icofanboy: As another US Amiga user. I have been using Amigas since the 80s and what you will find with all NTSC TV sets is that they will not display PAL period. Some really old sets with vertical control can sometimes work but you have to mess with the dial every time you switch from PAL to NTSC and plus...they are kind of rare TV sets to find. I used a 1084S monitor back in the day and they worked great, but PAL games still were shifted too far down and the sound was often not synced with the video unless you specifically went into the early boot options to change the display to PAL before booting the game.

The absolute best way to display an Amiga is to get a Scandoubler/flicker fixer and use a PC Monitor however these are expensive. The Indivision AGA ones look really nice and are $157. Not sure if they make one for CD32 but I know they do for A1200 and A4000.

Not sure how many NTSC games came out for CD32 but I know that like most Amiga games, the majority are PAL.
Old 24 March 2009, 19:16   #5
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icofanboy View Post
I read that by buying a Commodore 1084 monitor it will fix any and all problems that I might have with color issues and images being cut off on the bottom when using a standard US NTSC Television. I have been thinking of buying this monitor and was wondering if this will be what I want for an NTSC Amiga CD32:
It is.

Quote:
I read that using S-Video is the best way to go for NTSC to avoid all problems (or can I use composite just fine?) However I cannot clearly make out an S-Video port on this monitor (see pictures below). Also, is there going to be some kind of input for computer speakers so I can get better sound quality?
S-video or composite, as long as the CD32 and monitor are both NTSC devices, you will get colour over both connection methods, no matter what the refresh rate or the "PAL/NTSC" setting in the startup menu.

The startup menu does not dictate what your computer outputs, that is up to the encoder chip on the motherboard. However as both your monitor and computer talk the same language, there should be no problem. You may need to adjust the vsize when viewing PAL frequencies.

You could also solder a connector onto the CD32 motherboard to produce RGB + sync and connect that to the 1084's six pin DIN connector for a perfect picture.

Quote:
Also note these two pictures, one shows it has 50/60Hz and the other just says 60hz, will this be a problem or will it automaticaly detect both 50 and 60hz?:
It will. You can't deduce that from the rear panel anyway, that is only the specs for the power supply's input voltage. The 1084 syncs to both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
If you want to use the old 1084 monitor you'll have to use the yellow composite input, they don't have S-Video.
They do.

LCA switch on the left. LCA mode (up) = S-Video. Yellow for Luma, red for Chroma and white for Audio. CVBS mode (down) = Yellow for Composite, white for Audio.

Of course you need to make your own cable that splits the mini din into two RCA males.
Old 24 March 2009, 21:56   #6
Icofanboy

Thanks alot for the info guys. I am not the type of person that feels comfortable opening my systems to do any sort of modding (especialy soldering). Also I am looking to get my CD32 setup the most affordable way, so buying adapters that cost $100-$200 is really out of the question for me.

Right now the current setup I will likely be doing is the 1084 monitor with external speakers, and I am quite uninformed on some lingo like "make your own cable that splits the mini din into two RCA males" I have no idea what the mini din is or how I would go about this. I am getting confused with the switch...when it is flipped up to LCA this will do S-video by using the yellow red and white inputs? (what is the open plug-in right to the right of the composite inputs for?).

HOWEVER, if PAL games will display properly with no cut off by using regular old composite (and switching to PAL mode with a mouse) I am fine with this at the sacrifice of some picture quality.

Sorry if I ask alot of questions but I really appreciate the help on something I am not familiar with thanks so much for the replies so far!

Old 24 March 2009, 22:50   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
You can buy a ready-made cable from Amigakit, just inform Matt what you want and you will experience a marvellous treatment.
Old 24 March 2009, 23:29   #8
Icofanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
You can buy a ready-made cable from Amigakit, just inform Matt what you want and you will experience a marvellous treatment.
Thanks for the reply rkauer. Sorry to sound so dumb but in my case what cable would I be asking for? (as in what to call it and such and what will it do for me)

Old 25 March 2009, 02:23   #9
rkauer

A cable to connect your RCA inputs from the A1084S to your CD32, of course!

Luma+Chroma+mono audio in one end, S-VHS on the other.
Old 25 March 2009, 02:45   #10
Icofanboy

If I do get a 1084S as opposed to a 1084 so that I get an RGB input, does a cable exist or is someone able to make one to allow my CD32 to connect with RGB without having to mod the system itself? such as one end having RGB for the monitor and the other having a S-VHS to connect into the system or a cable that can have one end RGB and the other end RCA (Red white yellow) and still not have any problems with the NTSC system?

I think I might finaly be catching on to this....just give me some time, the Amiga scene is certainly not easy for us in the US

Old 25 March 2009, 04:18   #11
rkauer

The CD32 only have external RF, composite and S-VHS (luma+chroma), so no way to use RGB without hacking the CD32 itself.

The 1084 is the same monitor as the 1084S, the only difference is the "S" variant have built-in speakers.
Old 26 March 2009, 11:57   #12
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
The 1084 is the same monitor as the 1084S, the only difference is the "S" variant have built-in speakers.
No, the 1084 has one speaker, the 1084S has two (S for stereo).

Both monitors are capable of RGB input, but the CD32 does not output RGB unless you add an RGB connector to it.
Old 13 April 2010, 02:05   #13
Photon

I don't think you'll be let down by the S-video though It's enhanced over all other Amiga models in the CD32. The 1084 is a fine monitor - I think the 1081, 1084 and 1084S are the best you can get. For sound, I'd connect it to the stereo or buy a cheap set of used PC speakers, they usually have built in amplification. The latter actually work well, since they have 'consumer level bass boost' which actually helps make the Amiga sound even more awesome. Also, the cheap ones have no extremely exaggerated 'treble for consumer crispness' amplification, which helps ease up on some sampled sound that would be unbareable otherwise.
Old 13 April 2010, 17:24   #14
crazyegg

Hi OP,

I also have a NTSC CD32 and a NTSC TV.

As such, most games (which are PAL encoded) will be cut of at the bottom. In addition, most games will run at a faster speed than intended (both the video and audio will be faster).

You can boot into PAL mode by using the "holding down the mouse button method" but the best you can hope for is a steady & not cut-off picture that is BLACK AND WHITE. That is my experience.

I have even tried several multisystem TVs (which can handle NTSC3, NTSC4, PAL, PAL-M and PAL-N witout success.

Regards,
ed...
Old 13 April 2010, 19:54   #15
Jope
-

NTSC-50 is so rarely seen that many TVs don't understand it and will force the colour decoding to PAL.
Old 22 April 2010, 06:14   #16
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
@OP

An even better option over a 1084 is to get a Multisystem TV set off of eBay or Craigslist. I got one for $40 and play my PAL CD32 through it. No mouse buttons, no cut off screens, no hassle.