English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 June 2003, 18:44   #1
Pyromania

Jim Drew emulation god or traderous liar?

Jim Drew of Mac emulation for Amiga fame is still around stirring up the users.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 04 June 2003, 18:54   #2
LaundroMat

Eh?

Please enlighten me.
Old 04 June 2003, 18:59   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I don't know is it is possible that Jim Drew can be anything but a compulsive, no-damn-good liar. Convincing, yes. But never believe this snake oil salesman. He speaks the same truth that Clinton did.
Old 04 June 2003, 19:05   #4
Pyromania

http://www.emaculation.com/modules.p...article&sid=13
Old 04 June 2003, 19:09   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

It never ceases to amaze me to what lengths this ignoramus will go to keep his lies alive.
Old 04 June 2003, 19:15   #6
jmmijo

It's sad that I actually know this person as he lives, or used to live in this area

He stole code from Mike Henry of Fast Hackem fame and from the company I worked for, Kracker Jax.

Basically he steals some code and reverse engineers it then puts on a new front end interface and sells the software as his own. When Megasoft was around, they, as a company, did this wholesale to many other companies at the time. This started back in the C64 days when Megasoft first released their Apollo backup utility :eek

I wish I remembered all the different companies but I don't. Some that come to mind are the publishers of Di-Sector and Mr. Nibble.

EDIT: Also I'm not really sure why anyone would want to emulate a MAC as I've found many older MAC's and CLONE's out there for pretty darn cheap. I've got a few of these and the best one is the Powercenter 150 by Power Computing. I've been running MAC OS 9.xx for almost 2 years now without any problems what so ever.

Last edited by jmmijo; 04 June 2003 at 19:21.
Old 04 June 2003, 21:19   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

An old friend of mine wrote the first Apple II emulator for the Amiga, Apple 2000. He sent it to Jim Drew, since Drew had said he would be adding "modules" to his Emplant card. Jim liked the emulator and said he would get back with Kevin (Kralian). Next thing you know, he's reverse engineered it, claims to have written his own emulator suddenly and has the nerve to accuse Kevin of reverse engineering Drew's emulator (which nobody had, or has ever had). Kev went to war with Drew over this in the early days of usenet in and nobody sided with Drew (as everyone in that group had memories of these types of antics from Drew in his C-64 days).

I really hate this man, especially when you meet him in person and see his charming sales pitch which mesmerizes everyone. Talk about a dangerous mind...
Old 04 June 2003, 22:18   #8
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
An old friend of mine wrote the first Apple II emulator for the Amiga, Apple 2000. He sent it to Jim Drew, since Drew had said he would be adding "modules" to his Emplant card. Jim liked the emulator and said he would get back with Kevin (Kralian). Next thing you know, he's reverse engineered it, claims to have written his own emulator suddenly and has the nerve to accuse Kevin of reverse engineering Drew's emulator (which nobody had, or has ever had). Kev went to war with Drew over this in the early days of usenet in and nobody sided with Drew (as everyone in that group had memories of these types of antics from Drew in his C-64 days).

I really hate this man, especially when you meet him in person and see his charming sales pitch which mesmerizes everyone. Talk about a dangerous mind...
I remember this too Twist, do you think this event is what made Kevin hate the Amiga and leave the Amiga market?
Old 04 June 2003, 23:11   #9
jmmijo

Yeah TG, I'd like to know too. I'm betting it did
Old 05 June 2003, 00:31   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

It would make a great sidenote to the story if Kevin's abandon of the Amiga was related to this incident. But unfortunately it was the drive of a woman. I probably better stop there...
Old 05 June 2003, 00:36   #11
jmmijo

I wouldn't, you've just left that barn door open and I just have to drive the semi right on thru it
AdSense AdSense