English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 September 2012, 17:29   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quickshot II Turbo joystick

I picked up one of these at a bric-a-brac fayre thingy, and it seems a bit demented/drunk. Pushing straight up moves your character diagonally up and to the left, and you really have to be quite forceful to get it to go diagonally up and towards the right.

Should I bin it or is it salvageable?

While we're on the subject, whoever thought designing joysticks that click with every movement and button press was a good idea? It makes me want to ration my movement to keep a lid on the irritation factor. I expect this is why I liked my Python so much.
Old 29 September 2012, 17:59   #2
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
While we're on the subject, whoever thought designing joysticks that click with every movement and button press was a good idea? It makes me want to ration my movement to keep a lid on the irritation factor. I expect this is why I liked my Python so much.
It actually is a good idea, if the joystick you bought used microswitches then you wouldn't be having that problem with it. Far more precise and reliable than any other method.

If the noise from them annoys you then you don't have your Amiga anywhere NEAR loud enough!
Old 18 October 2012, 10:58   #3
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Ha, good point, but I don't think my neighbours would agree!

This joystick does use microswitches btw. What's odd is that it only seems to affect certain games, e.g. 8 way directional ones such as Mercs and Ikari Warriors. In these you can't move west or north west. Maybe it just needs loosening up after being in storage for 20 years. Don't suppose it's been in a cryostasis chamber all this time.
Old 18 October 2012, 11:02   #4
roy bates

you could take it apart and try switch cleaner on the contacts,or if its open switches as a last resort very fine emery cloth to remove the gunk between the contacts.

but please if you want to try to fix it, dont push hard on the joystick it probably makes it worse because of the way the switches work mechanicly.(they dont take alot of movment to operate as there just on off )

Last edited by roy bates; 18 October 2012 at 11:19.
Old 18 October 2012, 11:16   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

Are you sure it has microswitches and not just the big and open switches? If it truly has microswitches, the click noises are usually not very loud. If it has open switches, cleaning them with some contact cleaner and a cotton bud usually solves the problem. I've done that to several joysticks so far, and they all work great today.

If it has microswitches they need to be replaced rather than cleaned.

I have a Competition Pro which is one of the worst I've tried when it comes to noise. It is so loud that I think my neighbors would be annoyed by the sound. Luckily I also have some other, less noisy joysticks, which I prefer.
Old 18 October 2012, 12:03   #6
moijk
License to Bubble

I got a quickshot ii turbo, it is loud as heck. The competition pro is in comparison as noisy as a cat that tippy-toes through a matress-fatory.
Old 18 October 2012, 12:29   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moijk View Post
I got a quickshot ii turbo, it is loud as heck. The competition pro is in comparison as noisy as a cat that tippy-toes through a matress-fatory.
Must be noisy then.

But that also tells me that it's probably not microswitches, as they don't make that much noise since the actual switch is very small and inside an enclosure.
Old 18 October 2012, 12:38   #8
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quickshot II Turbo uses very strange microswitches... basically you push on top of a horizontal string - if you push with enough strength the string then turns a small clip. I wouldn't really call them "microswitches" In my opinion they are even worse than the normal leaf-thingy Quickshot II (non-turbo) uses. By far not as good as what Competition Pro and ZipStick uses.
Old 18 October 2012, 13:40   #9
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Quickshot II Turbo uses very strange microswitches... basically you push on top of a horizontal string - if you push with enough strength the string then turns a small clip. I wouldn't really call them "microswitches" In my opinion they are even worse than the normal leaf-thingy Quickshot II (non-turbo) uses. By far not as good as what Competition Pro and ZipStick uses.

they are actually microswitches,the part you are discribing is the spring thats on a lever.(the lever being the contact itself)

if you take a inclosed microswitch apart, the only differents phisicly is the plastic that sits on top of the spring that is pushed into the spring to actuate the lever inside the case itself
Old 18 October 2012, 19:21   #10
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks for your input. I took it apart expecting to find all the contacts gunked up, but no, it's as clean as a whistle, like new in fact. For now I've tied up the cord and put it on my window sill as an ornament. It's at a very artistic angle I should add.
Old 18 October 2012, 19:51   #11
demolition
Unregistered User

Just because the contacts look clean, doesn't mean that they are.. The contact point is quite small. A joystick is a very simple device and if it doesn't respond correctly in all directions it can either be a worn connector, broken cable, or dirty contacts..
Old 18 October 2012, 20:32   #12
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Thanks for your input. I took it apart expecting to find all the contacts gunked up, but no, it's as clean as a whistle, like new in fact. For now I've tied up the cord and put it on my window sill as an ornament. It's at a very artistic angle I should add.
I only keep mine to give away with a computer when i'm actually selling anything
Old 19 October 2012, 10:21   #13
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Point taken demolition. As a last ditch attempt I took it apart again and gave the contacts a good going over with a cotton bud, but sadly it's still no better.

Oh well maybe it's for the best - I think you've got the right idea, moijk. The argument against the non-microswitched joysticks is that they break too easily, though I think as long as you don't approach them like you're wrestling a rhino they should last years. What destroyed my pythons (as well as some microswitch joysticks like the blocky, clear crystal one) was my brother.
Old 19 October 2012, 10:28   #14
roy bates

at the base of the joystick is a round disk with bumps to actuate the switches i have a funny feeling that they are worn(thats the best i can discribe them )

if you want to find out if its the switches just use a watch screwdriver and press the springs in the switches where the base of the joystick would press.
Old 22 October 2012, 09:53   #15
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks for the advice. I did as suggested and the springs flex and activate the metal flaps which make the contact so everything seems to be working fine there.