oldpx

Thanks tomcat, they are OK

Old 23 February 2002, 01:08   #22
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Crystal Hammer 2
"Crystal Hammer 2" should rather be named Crystal Hammer - new levels because it's not an official ReLine release.
This version has been created by some group of crackers who designed new levels for this Arkanoid clone.
Strangely, this one does NOT work on 0.8.8 R8, at least I was too stupid to get it to work with the old boy.
0.8.17 shows no problems in loading the game.
Old 23 February 2002, 02:57   #23
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks for that info, Andreas. I'd long suspected that, but it got lost on one of those old TODO checklists I make.We need to compile a canonical list of Amiga fakes...
Old 26 February 2002, 01:56   #24
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

tomcat666, please post Barbarian 1 (Palace) to the Zone. Just because someone else is supposedly working on a different version of it is not really relevant. Also they don't have the right to stop you releasing this, any more than you have the right to stop them releasing theirs. In any event it is likely to be months or years before the 'official' version is released; it would be good to have the cracked version as something to play in the interim.

If it is 100% OK as you say I can't see why an 'official' version in fact needs to be done at all, the installer-writers should do games which have not been done. (I have a list of approximately 100 games which AFAIK there are no HD-installed versions of. I also have ADF images for all of these.)

I look forward to seeing this in the Zone. And keep crackin'!
Old 26 February 2002, 18:25   #25
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuous
the installer-writers should do games which have not been done. I have a list of approximately 100 games which AFAIK there are no HD-installed versions of. I also have ADF images for all of these.
Well if you're a programmer, why don't you try fixing a few of the 100 games that you have? The WHDLoad dev archive contains examples to get you started. I think people forget that many, many games were released on Amiga and that the WHDLoad patchers do have day jobs to work and real lives to live in addition to their patching. I'm sure they would love it if patching Amiga games to work on every Amiga set-up under the sun took only 5-10 minutes each to do. With JST being so buggy for a lot of people, the workload for the WHDLoad guys has increased because the JST patches will either need to be converted or recoded from scratch.
Old 26 February 2002, 23:09   #26
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

JST works fine for me. WHDLoad is OK except for the nagware crap. I would register but this costs $A40, I have seen commercial software that costs less.

I have considered doing some patches, however I only have a small amount of time available to do programming, this amount of time is consumed by updating the programs Worm Wars and Report+; I also have to run the website, I have a full-time job, etc.

Still I think I might do some patches at some point in the future.
Old 27 February 2002, 01:54   #27
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
WHDLoad is OK except for the nagware crap. I would register but this costs $A40, I have seen commercial software that costs less.
I don't think it's much to pay for one of the essential tools for the Amiga, considering that it's a one-off payment. Besides, WHDLoad patchers like Codetapper do all the installers for free.
Old 27 February 2002, 02:10   #28
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Thumbs down Barbarian generic patch will not support the original

Quote:
tomcat666, please post Barbarian 1 (Palace) to the Zone. Just because someone else is supposedly working on a different version of it is not really relevant. Also they don't have the right to stop you releasing this, any more than you have the right to stop them releasing theirs. In any event it is likely to be months or years before the 'official' version is released; it would be good to have the cracked version as something to play in the interim.
Well let's just have a quick analysis of the ORIGINAL of the Palace version of Barbarian shall we?

1. Main file is encrypted (2 mins to decrypt)
2. Main file sets up a process in memory called PROTECT which is called every x number of seconds (haven't worked out how often) which checks the disk in the drive is the original. If it's not, it bombs out.
3. Main file (libs/mathstrans.library) decrypts based on checksum of the main game and each of the 3 hunks has a separate decrypt key.

Now anybody can get the cracked version and even use a generic slave to get the game to work. However, poor mister original owner of the game (who doesn't like to use cracks) will not benefit, the generic patch will never work on the original disk. The guys that do these "hack" patches (which are basically just compiling an existing slave with no patches) never fix blitter bugs, cpu dependent loops, don't setup nice icons or docs etc etc.

Since there are a few people out there with the original, I don't think it's fair to go spreading the cracked one like mad when the official one which will be far more heavily tested will be out soon. I will upload the official release when it's done...
Old 27 February 2002, 06:37   #29
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Thats the reason I asked in the group if someone would object... anyway, some of the hacked installs I posted do have problems on 040 and 060 systems, so you are really better off with the ones CodeTapper and others do. I just don't have enough time to do proper ones now... in the near future I am hoping to do some more of the real ones.
Old 27 February 2002, 21:32   #30
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuous
WHDLoad is OK except for the nagware crap. I would register but this costs $A40, I have seen commercial software that costs less. Still I think I might do some patches at some point in the future.
I doubt any of that commercial software would be current or would be 7 years in development and still going like WHDLoad. Can't think of many shareware programs that are nearly as useful that have been in development for that length of time either. In any case, the WHDLoad author uses the money from registrations to help pay for hosting of the support web site- hardly a greedy pursuit. Still, if you ever get around to coding WHDLoad patches, as little as 3 good quality official ones will gain you free registration.
Old 15 June 2002, 16:27   #31
Carlos Ace

Send a message via ICQ to Carlos Ace
tomcat666, can upload the following Whdload versions again please ... :

- TVSports Basketball
- Sleeping Gods Lie
Old 15 June 2002, 20:14   #32
Fissuras
Old Luny

Done
Old 16 June 2002, 01:33   #33
Carlos Ace

Thumbs up

Thanx Fissuras (Muito obrigado )
Old 20 June 2002, 22:31   #34
Carlos Ace

Floppy disk

Missed one game on my request ...
Twintris.
Fissuras or Tomcat666 could you upload that game to the zone ?

Thanx.
Old 21 June 2002, 07:22   #35
tomcat666
Retro Freak

In da zone now !