Old 12 July 2018, 23:12   #121
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Can you wait this week end for that, i had to let them aside, but yes, i can
Old 12 July 2018, 23:47   #122
DamienD
Banned

mcgeezer; from what you achieved in 6 months with Bomb Jack Beer Edition; you should utilise your talents elsewhere. Rock 'n Rope / Blood Bros are my bias opinions

...though you already have a space type idea don't you? Do that

Yeah Double Dragon on the Amiga isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination compared with the arcade but... back then I was happy.

Just the other day I played this via MAME for nostalgia purposes, got bored and changed games within a few minutes...

That's not to say that back in the day it wasn't very popular and I loved it; I just don't think people are longing for an arcade accurate Amiga port.

<unlike Rygar>
Old 12 July 2018, 23:58   #123
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
arff Rygar, i spent 3 full days to extract the graphics with all the palettes.... and nothing came out :'(
Old 13 July 2018, 00:12   #124
DamienD
Banned

...not even the first complete / working level.

To be fair though, it's a monumental task, the team that did this on the arcades back in the day knew what they were doing!!! Still a classic
Old 13 July 2018, 00:22   #125
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Well Rygar source is out if someone want to test and extend stuff as far as i remember
Old 13 July 2018, 00:35   #126
DamienD
Banned

...yeah, but who's crazy enough???

It would take a team of say 5 - 10 talented people at least a year to produce anything like the arcade on the Amiga; it's definitely capable I'd imagine but

The graphics, movement, enemies, power-ups, water falls, ropes, lava action, scenery changes, other small details, blah / blah / blah. That's a lot of different elements / positions / patterns to cover and for 28 mostly individual levels.

Anyway, I / we are getting way off topic here.
Old 13 July 2018, 14:11   #127
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
mcgeezer; from what you achieved in 6 months with Bomb Jack Beer Edition; you should utilise your talents elsewhere. Rock 'n Rope / Blood Bros are my bias opinions

...though you already have a space type idea don't you? Do that

<unlike Rygar>
Yep... idea is still on the cards, I just either have to license the graphics if I find some that are suitable or draw them myself... Good graphics guys are hard to come by and they have to be passionate about the project too. The other thing I've come to find out is that developing for CD32 is far from straight forward. Playing an audio track for example is still something I'm struggling with so I think it's a longer term project while I build up experience.

Quote:
...not even the first complete / working level.

To be fair though, it's a monumental task, the team that did this on the arcades back in the day knew what they were doing!!! Still a classic
Rygar is one of those games that I loved in the arcades and I would love to to do it but the A500 simply doesn't have enough ummfff to do the game justice... AGA could do it easily though and would probably be arcade perfect.
Time to code it if I had all the tile sets, sprites, tile maps... probably a little under 6 months.

I think the original lad (Sandruzo???) who was doing Rygar said it was always a tech demo anyway and wouldn't be a game as he wanted to prove the A500 could do it (I still don't think he did), but he wasn't too keen to let the latest source code out when I asked him so maybe he still has plans to do it - I could ask him again I guess.

The appeal to Double Dragon though is that it always seemed to me to be a simple game, certainly on the technical side it is very straight forward to do. Time to code would be around 3 months if I have all the assets to hand.

I'll contemplate some more but Double Dragon would be a nice little project... perhaps even for the upcoming game compo.
Old 13 July 2018, 14:30   #128
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Yep... idea is still on the cards, I just either have to license the graphics if I find some that are suitable or draw them myself... Good graphics guys are hard to come by and they have to be passionate about the project too. The other thing I've come to find out is that developing for CD32 is far from straight forward. Playing an audio track for example is still something I'm struggling with so I think it's a longer term project while I build up experience.

Rygar is one of those games that I loved in the arcades and I would love to to do it but the A500 simply doesn't have enough ummfff to do the game justice... AGA could do it easily though and would probably be arcade perfect.
Time to code it if I had all the tile sets, sprites, tile maps... probably a little under 6 months.

I think the original lad (Sandruzo???) who was doing Rygar said it was always a tech demo anyway and wouldn't be a game as he wanted to prove the A500 could do it (I still don't think he did), but he wasn't too keen to let the latest source code out when I asked him so maybe he still has plans to do it - I could ask him again I guess.

The appeal to Double Dragon though is that it always seemed to me to be a simple game, certainly on the technical side it is very straight forward to do. Time to code would be around 3 months if I have all the assets to hand.

I'll contemplate some more but Double Dragon would be a nice little project... perhaps even for the upcoming game compo.

Yes only tech demo. How can we do a full game with allmost no market?
Old 13 July 2018, 14:36   #129
vulture

@sandruzzo

that's understandable, but would you consider openning the code for someone else to continue your work? (ie mcgeezer)
Old 13 July 2018, 14:48   #130
Hewitson

Quote:
Rygar is one of those games that I loved in the arcades and I would love to to do it but the A500 simply doesn't have enough ummfff to do the game justice...
Seriously? The C64 does the game justice...
Old 13 July 2018, 16:04   #131
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@sandruzzo

that's understandable, but would you consider openning the code for someone else to continue your work? (ie mcgeezer)
I did in the past, and it hurt me, and a lot! No way I'll do it again. Sorry, only sharing gfx thecnique
Old 13 July 2018, 16:42   #132
SteveMoody

Quote:

I did consider writing a version of Roc'n Rope a while back. Should be possible to get a port that's close to the arcade.
Old 13 July 2018, 16:56   #133
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMoody View Post
I did consider writing a version of Roc'n Rope a while back. Should be possible to get a port that's close to the arcade.
Most definitely

It's a fun little game; remember playing this as a young boy back in the arcades
Old 13 July 2018, 17:28   #134
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
Yes only tech demo. How can we do a full game with allmost no market?
You have to do it for the love of the challenge really.

If you're developing games for money then the Amiga is the wrong platform, for me the market doesn't matter and the community is everything along with the life of the Amiga.
Old 13 July 2018, 17:30   #135
mcgeezer

Quote:
I did in the past, and it hurt me, and a lot! No way I'll do it again. Sorry, only sharing gfx thecnique
What do you mean - it hurt you?

Do you specifically mean the Rygar source code, or another project you worked on?
Old 13 July 2018, 17:31   #136
sandruzzo

Quote:
You have to do it for the love of the challenge really.

If you're developing games for money then the Amiga is the wrong platform, for me the market doesn't matter and the community is everything along with the life of the Amiga.
It's not money per se. I was here begging for help for months, and nothig did happened! See the point?
Old 13 July 2018, 17:37   #137
mcgeezer

Quote:
It's not money per se. I was here begging for help for months, and nothig did happened! See the point?
I'm sorry no, I don't see what you are saying.

You were asking for help for months so you decided not to release any source code?
Old 13 July 2018, 17:42   #138
sandruzzo

@mcgeezer

Yes, so far no source code release. Btw it's nothig special and still work in progress, with a lot of tests and bugs
Old 13 July 2018, 18:20   #139
sandruzzo

Quote:
I'm sorry no, I don't see what you are saying.

You were asking for help for months so you decided not to release any source code?

If we want do an open project work together and use my experience on current rygar, I'm very willing to do
Old 13 July 2018, 18:20   #140
mcgeezer

Quote:
@mcgeezer

Yes, so far no source code release. Btw it's nothig special and still work in progress, with a lot of tests and bugs
So are you actually making the game?