English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 15 November 2017, 01:39   #21
Dunny

Had some good conversations (if short) on the Slack group tonight. Met an old friend, even. Thing is, we're not in our 20s anymore - so our free time is short. EAB's forum is great for slow comms, checking in every few hours or so. Realtime is difficult when you have work, a life, kids, etc.
Old 15 November 2017, 13:19   #22
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Had some good conversations (if short) on the Slack group tonight. Met an old friend, even. Thing is, we're not in our 20s anymore - so our free time is short. EAB's forum is great for slow comms, checking in every few hours or so. Realtime is difficult when you have work, a life, kids, etc.
That's interesting, it's exactly the opposite with me: I find the chatting platforms, all of them, too time consuming and distracting to use them, since my long gone 20s.

Besides, that's why EAB, as it is (I'm referring to the current thread bout updating it) it's less intimidating than most platforms around: I can post something, and check later: nothing urgent about its nature. I love that.

And it helps I'm posting in its in-topic topic forums for 15 years now, of anything BUT Amiga, and nobody notices, so, that's eliminates the need of chat for me (but I do miss IRC and /waving trouts menacingly at other members faces.)
Old 29 November 2017, 03:49   #23
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...hlight=discord

If Slack is not for you then I can suggest an un affiliated general amiga discord server I posted about a few months back.
Old 24 January 2018, 11:45   #24
Jaruzel

For those not familiar with Slack, any 'workspace' admin can enable an IRC bridge function for their Slack channels so that users can connect with a normal IRC client. Of course you lose all the nice Slack features if you do that, but basic chatting works fine.

Old 25 January 2018, 10:48   #25
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
[...] The Global Moderator team (most of us), decided to create a group on slack, which is basically a real time, text based, chat like IRC. This is available for PC, Android, iPhone & Windows Phone. [...]
This is a good initiative BUT after a really quick tour on their site I don't see the advantages over other instant messaging system (sure you found them as you have chosen this IMS ).
In order to stay in contact with people I know, my smartphone already has four different IMS applications... And a few more are inviting me on other system as well... It's already a lot... furthermore :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
That's interesting, it's exactly the opposite with me: I find the chatting platforms, all of them, too time consuming and distracting to use them, since my long gone 20s.

Besides, that's why EAB, as it is (I'm referring to the current thread bout updating it) it's less intimidating than most platforms around: I can post something, and check later: nothing urgent about its nature. I love that.[...]
+1
Old 25 January 2018, 23:24   #26
darkuni
RetroGaming Radio

I've lost my appetite for RTC over the years. Part of it is that technology continues to be shoved down our throats whether it was needed or not (things like Slack and Dischord ... Facebook and other atrocities). Nobody wants a world of open communications - they want a LICENSED, PATENT PENDING world of THEIR communications. RTC has been relegated to the world of closed off gardens and "l337zor" ecosystems - or worse yet; the flavor of the month.

IRC was pretty much the last, pinnacle of RTC that I cared about - because anyone on any platform using almost any technology base of client could use it. Now? Conform or be left out.

Sigh. My "grump old man" is showing.

I don't need "features" in my chat rooms. i don't need animated GIF lookups and auto responses and emoji. God knows I don't need stickers or balloons.

I need a clean easy way to communicate with others - all others. That just doesn't appear to be en vogue anymore.
Old 15 October 2018, 23:43   #27
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
You're telling me we're not in our 20's anymore, however I have just gained my freedom and now I feel 20 again, albeit with a few more aches and pains than I used to have, so realtime is a ta more easy for me than it used to be now I have my life pretty much rebooted.

However, I still prefer IRC

EDIT: Oh, just to let you guys know, they've closed the IRC & XMPP gateways for slack, so if you were considering using them, like Akira, you're now stuffed, so I presume it's really back to IRC tbh, jesus, they're advertising Slack on the TV now, what happened to IRC that has stood the test of flippin' time

Last edited by DH; 16 October 2018 at 00:07.