Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
See on Facebook they are aiming for a $249 price
Old 16 April 2018, 18:14   #22
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
People, notice that they are most likely aiming at a more casual audience than us die hard (disconnected from reality?) Amiga users. However a $249 price tag does not match the casual target audience though...
Exactly what i was trying to say to them on Facebook, a casual gamer price would be max £99 in the UK at least, not sure what other minis go for in other countries, its a impulse buy based on nostalgia they need to hit, at $250 works out at £175 plus any shipping costs will be closer to £200 which is double the market price they need to hit, still will keep an eye on it, the idea is there to get licensed kickstarts, bundled games, the Amiga name and usb keyboard and mouse are all good ideas, its just a shame i think people will be turned off by the price, maybe they could just have a joystick version like the C64 with fake keyboard and no mouse just for the casuals who want to select games which can be played with just a joystick to save half the cost...
Old 16 April 2018, 23:02   #23
crazyc

I am not a fan of these kind of emulators - but damn I would like a USB keyboard and mouse like that for my PC......
Old 17 April 2018, 16:40   #24
Amiga1992

Man those renders don't even look good, you guys are going off the road.
Someone on this thread said these people made something similar in the past, but I can't find it in that page, so what is it?

Man, really, those renders hurt my eyes, they are like made by a total 3D tool noob.
Old 17 April 2018, 17:04   #25
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Man those renders don't even look good, you guys are going off the road.
Someone on this thread said these people made something similar in the past, but I can't find it in that page, so what is it?

Man, really, those renders hurt my eyes, they are like made by a total 3D tool noob.
https://www.emubee.com/collections/all

Get some glasses! The renders arent that bad, dont go over the top Obviously compressed too much when putting on their site, but as its a very rough design and not even decided on yet its not a problem, but obviously for some people
Old 17 April 2018, 17:07   #26
trixster
Guru Meditating

At $250 it's a non-starter. Far too expensive.
Old 17 April 2018, 17:27   #27
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
I was indeed not wearing them haha

Quote:
The renders aren't that bad, don't go over the top
Well by looking at the link you kindly provided I can just tell you that these people have never before designed a keyboard, a mouse or anything like that, and that raises a red flag. The link just shows a simply shaped box with standard SNES controller clones etc., off-market shit anyone can buy.

Those renders are not crap because of the compression, but the quality of the textures, models, lighting, and evident things like low polygon count on curve shapes etc.

Compare to the C64 cases people who used someone who is an object designer and knows exactly how to churn out a product! Also the a1200.net people were able to show proper models before anything was actually created. I think maybe they used the same fella for their renders, or someone of exactly the same quality.
The renders we see now for the A500 case are the actual models that will be produced in the end. That's VERY important, and in this case, more so, because you are basically paying for a funky case, mouse and keyboard for the Raspberry Pi.

Judging what already is displayed is actually the only thing we can judge, and is important.

Not like any of us is going to buy this thing at that price anyway
Old 17 April 2018, 22:54   #28
ma693541
Computer Wizard

Remember that this is a Norwegian geek company and they, like me live in a high cost, expensive country. I like the idea of a new Amiga, emulated or not.
Old 18 April 2018, 02:59   #29
Pyromania

It looks interesting, let’s see what happens.
Old 18 April 2018, 08:21   #30
Steffest

Indeed: Looks interesting. Let's see what happens.
If there's a (successful) Kickstarter for new keycaps only for 50 euro plus 90 euro for a case, why would a price point of 250 for a complete setup be too high?
I don't care much about the Pi , but a good quality amiga styled usb keyboard and mouse: I would but it.

Of course you don't design and build a keyboard from scratch. You team up with a company that has the expertise. In the right quantities you can get custom designed electronics in a heartbeat these days.
Old 18 April 2018, 09:07   #31
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post

Those renders are not crap because of the compression, but the quality of the textures, models, lighting, and evident things like low polygon count on curve shapes etc.

Compare to the C64 cases people who used someone who is an object designer and knows exactly how to churn out a product! Also the a1200.net people were able to show proper models before anything was actually created. I think maybe they used the same fella for their renders, or someone of exactly the same quality.
The renders we see now for the A500 case are the actual models that will be produced in the end. That's VERY important, and in this case, more so, because you are basically paying for a funky case, mouse and keyboard for the Raspberry Pi.

Judging what already is displayed is actually the only thing we can judge, and is important.

Not like any of us is going to buy this thing at that price anyway
I know they havent made a keyboard, mouse before but unlike others making hardware at least they have made *some* hardware before so they know the route of designing, building, packaging, shipping etc i wasnt comparing it was the exactly the same.

As they have stated though, the renders are to gain interest in such a product, the renders arent final as they are listening to various ideas of how to take the final product, personally they look fine, havent seen anyone else take issue with them.

Plus i don't think its fair to moan about a render of a product thats not even launched in a Kickstarter campaign yet, give some feedback on what you want to see and see what they come up with when the Kickstarter launches. Lots of people have asked for separate usb keyboard and mouse to buy which looks like they are considering.
Old 18 April 2018, 13:14   #32
Valken

Longtime lurker... The keyboard looks actually fantastic but I hate the brick PSU because I started with A1000 / A3000. Slick and elegant systems that I miss so much.

But I would kill for AMIGA keycaps sets to customize my own and then pay Toni and UAE authors to make 1:1 app to run on an android phone. The reason is that we have hardware with so much power already and best to commoditize that while putting resource to where we need it - software, emulation and Amiga style KB and Mouse with USB or wireless for existing PCs, Macs, Linux boxes and Android to run.

As much as I loved my old A1000 and A3000 (no longer with me), I have learned to love my Logitech KB and Mouse with buttons and extra keys galore, but would kick the WINDOWS key off if I can replace it with Amiga keycaps and an emulator to access all the power my modern PC has.

Last edited by Valken; 18 April 2018 at 13:50.
Old 18 April 2018, 13:40   #33
Decker

They immediately make a good impression on me, by being upfront about what it is. The psu shaped system and the early design of the keyboard also look good. As does the proposed frontend.

I'm quite fond of the idea of having an emu in a box alongside the actual hardware. But something that's almost as footprint heavy as a real Amiga, with a 250€ price tag... I don't think this is for me then.

Best of luck, regardless.
Old 18 April 2018, 13:41   #34
spudje

You don't need this for keycaps. There have been kickstarters for both new Amiga keycaps and Amiga-like PC keyboards...