English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 21 December 2004, 10:33   #1
Jim

Shadow Of The Gif II

A bit of Xmas fun I made tonight to test some WinUAE tools I'm making....it's a bit lame but I've never seen a GIF like this ! First person to make a flashtro out of it gets a banana

Download from The Zone

[edit]
2nd in the series, Lemmingifs now available
[/edit]

P.S. It was unforseen (I thought .gif was gonna fail uploading to the zone and I'd have to zip it) but as it's a gif it streams the anim

Last edited by Jim; 21 December 2004 at 14:07.

Old 21 December 2004, 10:46   #2
oldpx

Eeexcellent!

Old 21 December 2004, 10:56   #3
kriz

cool
Old 21 December 2004, 12:59   #4
Bloodwych

Nice. Never realised the zone played gifs with one click either.
Old 21 December 2004, 13:21   #5
Tolismlf

Good job!
Old 21 December 2004, 14:05   #6
Jim

Right, well as Shadow Of The Gif was so well recieved I have just made another....

Lemmingifs - check the zone.

This is a little present for lemonamiga.com, as sometimes I post on there, and to show no anomosity seeing as it's Xmas and all. I hope Kim finds some use for some of the graphics to further liven up his site - maybe use some parts in the landscape feature?

Now I could have made these anims into Flash files, but I didn't for 2 reasons.

1 - I couldn't be arsed!

2 - I kind of like the simplicity, compatibility, coolness & cuteness of gifs and I'd like feedback as to wether they work in real Amiga browsers. OK you get no sound so maybe someone at flashtro.com who reads this might want to take them further for their new game intros section?

Now I must start getting back to coding and writing a stable beta version of my ripping stuff for wider distribution, and also think about the next stage.... A.R.S.E.

For those who don't know (that's all of you!) A.R.S.E. is an acronymn I just made up for Automated Ripping of Sprites Etc...

Old 21 December 2004, 14:25   #7
FromWithin
Music lord

Original artwork by Reflections?

Original artwork by Jim Bowers, you mean.

Developers were not usually completely self-contained (apart from DMA Design and possibly a couple of others that I can't think of). We did a lot of stuff (usually artwork and/or audio) in-house to help out development teams, which were sometimes just a single programmer (Bill's Tomato Game, for example). I can't think of any rendered intro's that weren't done in-house. Besides other factors, external developers couldn't afford the hardware. When things moved on from using Scuplt 4D, the SG machines used for rendering cost about 20 grand, and the SoftImage software was something like 10 thousand at the time.
Old 22 December 2004, 03:04   #8
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin
Original artwork by Reflections?

Original artwork by Jim Bowers, you mean.
Apologies, if I redo this I will correct it and will take care on the credits if I make further ones.

If anyone uses these the first thing they'll do is throw away frame 1 anyhow.

This was just a proof of concept to make sure I had got my WinUAE frame-by-frame ripping tool working OK so I was rushed and decided to post the anim as I've never seen Amiga gif anims like this.

Old 22 December 2004, 03:52   #9
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Very nice... but Lemmings runs a bit slow...
Old 22 December 2004, 04:45   #10
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus
Very nice... but Lemmings runs a bit slow...
I didn't look into the speed timings too much, if I had wanted to do it all proper I would have added music and the full credits etc.. in Flash.

It was just proof of concept really to ensure I could grab pixel perfect frames. The real target audience (Kim Lemon) will be cutting out the relevant bits anyway, it shouldn't be too hard for you to load into any gif program and adjust the frame-rate if you desire.

Also you have to remember that with gif's what might be fast on someones PC or browser can still be slow on others.

And Lemmings is a bit slow, but maybe not that slow.

Old 22 December 2004, 05:39   #11
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

One question Jim, how come you didn't use the WHDLoad version which has the full intro? Was it too many frames or you didn't know the Angels crack dropped part of the intro? The animation doesn't show the evil creature standing on top of the mountain and spreading it's wings!

Other than that, very good - glad to see some people have LOTS of spare time on their hands
Old 22 December 2004, 16:06   #12
Jim

I just grabbed any version of SOTB2 out of TOSEC. If I do this again I will use proper WHDLoad version. The last time I saw an original version of SOTB II was about 12 years ago, and now you mention it I do remember the beast looking down from the mountain.

Yeah I'm gonna have to re-rip that sometime from WHDLoad/CAPS just to make sure I get it all.

Old 22 December 2004, 16:10   #13
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
very good - glad to see some people have LOTS of spare time on their hands
I wouldn't call the 30 minutes it took me to rip the SOTB2 intro a LOT of time. And besides I was watching TV when it was happening.

But this was with proof of concept version that was only rippng one frame every 2 seconds. I needed some slow routines to give things time, but now I am working to get complete control of all events/timings as I have changed languages.

I think I'll be able to get this down to something like 2 frames/sec for the next version so this should in future be a lot shorter job.

Of course there was the time it took me to write the ripping tool, but that was only about 3 hours and is a one-off. Well, this verson will be

Old 24 December 2004, 10:48   #14
JudasEZT

Im not permited to enter into TheZone.. with who must I have oral sex to be able??
Old 24 December 2004, 10:56   #15
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
With the FAQ.
Old 24 December 2004, 13:16   #16
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

n1 Jim!