English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 January 2018, 21:48   #1
Starglider 2

Best HDMI wall mount large TVfor Amiga/C64?

Hi! So although I have a CRT Commodore 1084S, I also want an option to flick a switch to a large flatscreen TV on the wall. I'm thinking 55". I'm going to run that like this:

C64 > S-Video cable > XRGB Mini with scanline generator > HDMI cable > Which TV?

1. How would I best connect the Amiga to a modern TV? Same HDMI converter or am I better finding a TV with a VGA input? I should add I'm in the USA.

2. Any suggestions on the actual TV model? Are there things I need to consider like a 4:3 mode? Frequencies?

Do they make beige ones? ;-)
Old 03 January 2018, 06:23   #2
Jope
-

If you already have a framemeister, then definitely use that for the Amiga too via RGB.

Most TVs have an aspect ratio selection, just select 4:3 with that? :-) HDMI usually means 50Hz support, but I must say I don't have much experience with USA TV sets.. I'm very disappointed if they for some reason have dropped 50Hz support from the chipsets sold in USA.
Old 03 January 2018, 06:38   #3
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
If you already have a framemeister, then definitely use that for the Amiga too via RGB.

Most TVs have an aspect ratio selection, just select 4:3 with that? :-) HDMI usually means 50Hz support, but I must say I don't have much experience with USA TV sets.. I'm very disappointed if they for some reason have dropped 50Hz support from the chipsets sold in USA.
Thanks. I didn't think of that. How would I connect the Amiga to the XRGB? S-Video?

I'd like to keep both the C64 and Amiga connected to it and just have whichever computer I power on feed in, so maybe via a Y-cable.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:05   #4
ajk

Does the XRGB Mini not simply have RGB in, or is it some different model ..? If it does, connect the Amiga video output to that input using a suitable cable.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:14   #5
Jope
-

The X-RGB Mini Framemeister definitely has RGB in, it's basically the reason for its existence. :-)

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...erter-for-sale

Then get an Amiga d23<->scart cable from some Amiga reseller.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:28   #6
Starglider 2

Quote:
The X-RGB Mini Framemeister definitely has RGB in, it's basically the reason for its existence. :-)

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...erter-for-sale

Then get an Amiga d23<->scart cable from some Amiga reseller.
Nice.

So, can I have the Commodore 64 in the S-Video in socket, and the Amiga in the RGB in socket (via SCART) then just switch inputs using the XRGB remote?
Old 03 January 2018, 07:47   #7
Jope
-

Yep, that's the way. If you don't have an english language remote overlay for the framemeister, you can get one of those from retrogamingcables too. :-)

It could be that someone makes/sells a Framemeister <-> D23 cable too, it might be neater than having that honking great SCART connector hanging off it.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:54   #8
Starglider 2

Quote:
Yep, that's the way. If you don't have an english language remote overlay for the framemeister, you can get one of those from retrogamingcables too. :-)

It could be that someone makes/sells a Framemeister D23 cable too, it might be neater than having that honking great SCART connector hanging off it.
That would be nice but I can't find one.

A 9 pin rgb female to xrgb mini 8 pin would help me out. Currently my Amiga goes to a 9 pin RGB. Would this work to the XRGB? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282787336269
Old 03 January 2018, 07:58   #9
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglider 2 View Post
That would be nice but I can't find one.

A 9 pin rgb female to xrgb mini 8 pin would help me out. Currently my Amiga goes to a 9 pin RGB. Would this work to the XRGB? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F282787336269
If it doesn't explicitly state framemeister compatibility, then it is just a cable with the same ends. There is no guarantee that it will be connected in a compatible manner. Could be for anything.