English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 April 2017, 04:31   #1
Marchie

Burning CD and/or DVDs?

Hi All,

Wondering what the situation is with burning CDs/DVDs on an Amiga.

I have an external SCSI CD-ROM which works fine. Is it as simple as putting a CD/DVD burner into it and finding the software? (If the software exists?)

I've read about people burning CD's before, but is burning DVD's on an Amiga bridge too far?
Old 06 April 2017, 05:39   #2
ptyerman

Burning CD's isn't a problem, there is software to do this, MakeCD for example, and there is others too. Never tried a data DVD so can't comment, but if you mean a video DVD, then no you can't.
Old 06 April 2017, 08:25   #3
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Never tried a data DVD so can't comment, but if you mean a video DVD, then no you can't.
No, not video, just looking to write Data DVDs, if possible.
Old 06 April 2017, 10:04   #4
ptyerman

I'm pretty sure I read on this forum someone who burns and uses data DVD's so it should be possible. Never had need myself so haven't tried it, but if any software will be capable of it, it will be MakeCD. MakeCD was made available for free too so you can readily download it, it takes some time to get to know it and it can have a steep learning curve, but it's worth it, it is a great piece of software.
Old 06 April 2017, 11:53   #5
idrougge

I like (and own) BurnIt.
Old 06 April 2017, 12:12   #6
jlin_au

I'd doubt that the Amiga version of MakeCD could even read or write a data DVD as this software and the normal AmigaOS 1.x thru 3.1 device drivers (scsi.device) all pre-date the DVD format. The normal AmigaOS 3.1 scsi.device has limiting problems with 4Gb harddrives.

Please note that just the major differences capacity between the CD, DVD, and Blu-ray optical media types require different disk formats that must be understood by both the software and the hardware:
- CDs can only hold up to about 700Mb of data. We're ignoring special dual sided media and non-standard "800Mb" single sided media. A CD, DVD, or Blu-ray drive is required!
- DVDs can hold up to about 4.7Gb single layer media and 8.5Gb on Dual layered media. A DVD or Blu-ray drive is required!
- Blu-rays can hold up to about 25Gb single layer media and 50Gb on Dual layered media. A Blu-ray drive is required!

If you need to use DVD capacity media then you should look at:
1) Amiga emulation on Windows or Linux instead as these later OSes have much better and reliable support for DVDs, etc
2) new Amiga hardware storage interfaces like cortex drives, Compact Flash drive, SD cards, etc.

Last edited by jlin_au; 06 April 2017 at 12:18.
Old 06 April 2017, 12:29   #7
idrougge

Elbox has a DVD file system, but I haven't heard of DVD writing software on the Amiga.
Old 06 April 2017, 12:46   #8
Daedalus

I'm pretty sure the standard OS 3.9 driver can read DVDs perfectly well, and, as idrougge pointed out, there have been 3rd party filesystems capable of reading them for versions prior to that too. The 4GB limit was a big deal 20 years ago, but it's long since solved or worked around.

Frying Pan is a new-ish Amiga package that supports burning to CD-R and DVD-R. MakeCD also supported burning to DVD-Rs back in the day, though I always found its interface a little clunky. Still, it's a powerful bit of software, and came with a rather substantial paper manual when I bought it, which is always reassuring
Old 06 April 2017, 12:51   #9
ptyerman

Just loaded MakeCD and Frying Pan to check, both will burn a data DVD. You just treat it the same as a data CD and the software does the rest.
Old 06 April 2017, 14:01   #10
Marchie

Thanks for the advice on software.

In regards to hardware, can I just throw a DVD burner into my external SCSI enclosure? What drivers would the device need?
Old 06 April 2017, 14:06   #11
Daedalus

If you can find a SCSI DVD burner then that should work fine, the vast majority of drives use standard commands that any burning software cane use. You won't need any special drivers beyond whatever you need for the drive itself - 1230scsi.device or whatever.

Most DVD burners are SATA connection though so finding a SCSI-II drive may prove tricky.
Old 06 April 2017, 14:19   #12
ptyerman

Indeed a SCSI DVD burner is like hens teeth to find, and if you do eventually find one expect to get a mortgage to pay for it.
I'm using a IDE one with a Acard SCSI to IDE bridge, these are easy to find but quite expensive.
Old 25 November 2017, 09:51   #13
motrucker

SCSI burners do still show up on ebay (sorry, but it's still a good source). I just bought an HP CD-Writer Plus, as an external unit. Turned out the PSU wasn't included, and was a real oddball, so I just took the drive out of its case, and installed it in my A2000 w/'040 CPU. the drives work great, and only cost $39.00 Including shipping!
Right now Frying Pan is the only software I have, but this all works together well.
There was a Plextor DVD writer recently for not too much money. (American ebay however)

Old 25 November 2017, 10:03   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

I on my own A4000 CDRW SCSI used the program MasterISO (excellent) but i do not know if you can even DVDs, MasterISO can either directly burn or just create ISO. I created CD Dati, CD Audio, CDTV and CD32 bootable see my old video,

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 25 November 2017 at 10:09.
Old 26 November 2017, 04:33   #15
gulliver
BoingBagged

Just to let you know I have used it in the past with success:
http://aminet.net/disk/misc/ADVDutils.lha

Now I no longer burn DVDs, I just use MicroSD cards.