English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 December 2006, 21:32   #1
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Booting from df1: is possible?

Just as the title says, i'm wondering if it is possible to boot from an external disk drive on the amiga, always mapped as df1. The reason i 'm thinking of it is because the internal disk drive on my 500 is wearing off, and it could be interesting to booting from a soon to be aquired externakl drive.
Thanks in advance!!!!!
Old 18 December 2006, 21:36   #2
thor

Yes, with a boot selector it's possible
Old 18 December 2006, 21:39   #3
Marcuz
Wurk???

or holding pressed left and right button of mouse (was it possible on A500 or on A1200 only?) to choose. but there are games that want during the loading refers to DF0: as source of data, so the loading hangs. i experienced that years ago, prolly with games like Lotus 1. more info?
Old 18 December 2006, 21:39   #4
viddi

If I remember right, I had an Amiga 500 running with DF1 only.

So, it´s possible.
But maybe there are some games that force the computer to load from DF0.
Just give it a try!
Old 18 December 2006, 21:44   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If you have KS2+ then you can use the Early Startup Menu (as described before).

Hold down left and right mouse during reboot... use the menus (it is obvious) to select DF1 as boot device.

Cons: Doesnt always work, depends on the game. You have to do this each time.

KS1.3 I am afraid you're stuffed.

Solution: Swap the drive mechanisms?
Old 18 December 2006, 21:51   #6
thor

There is this hardware solution: http://amigahardware.mariomisic.de/c...gi?HARDID=1629
Action Replay MKII and MKIII have a built-in boot selector
Old 18 December 2006, 21:51   #7
Marcuz
Wurk???

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
KS1.3 I am afraid you're stuffed.
thanks alexh, i was not sure anymore, it's more than 10 years since i gave away my lovely A500 now...
Old 18 December 2006, 21:59   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Will work on AmigaDOS file games, but not on custom loaders. Boot routine will work, but anything after that probably won't.
Old 18 December 2006, 22:02   #9
Jope
-

It is very easy. Bend out SEL3 on your CIA B (EVEN) chip. Then bend SEL0-SEL2 sideways so that they hit the next holes in the socket.

Now the CIA's SEL0 signal goes to SEL1 on the mobo, SEL1 to SEL2 and SEL2 to SEL3. This means that your internal drive will disappear, DF1 will become DF0, DF2 will become DF1 and DF3 will become DF2.

You can now actually remove the internal mechanism, as it serves no use. I have this mod in the A500 that I use, as I never bothered finding a replacement internal mechanism for it and I have loads of external drives.

If you wish, you could make this switchable: bend out SEL0 and SEL1 and wire a switch to alternately connect them straight or swapped to the socket. Then you could make the first external drive DF0 whenever you wish and easily swap it back.

Ask if you didn't understand.

CIA pinouts:
http://www.amiga-stuff.com/hardware/8520.html

Last edited by Jope; 19 December 2006 at 06:46.
Old 19 December 2006, 03:52   #10
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Thanks a lot about the answers!. I was looking more for loading games, but it seems that i can swap the drives directly so the external one goes df0.
Will give it a try.
So, on a 500 definitely the hack is needed it seems.
Old 02 March 2016, 16:38   #11
Vaninna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
It is very easy. Bend out SEL3 on your CIA B (EVEN) chip. Then bend SEL0-SEL2 sideways so that they hit the next holes in the socket.

Now the CIA's SEL0 signal goes to SEL1 on the mobo, SEL1 to SEL2 and SEL2 to SEL3. This means that your internal drive will disappear, DF1 will become DF0, DF2 will become DF1 and DF3 will become DF2.

You can now actually remove the internal mechanism, as it serves no use. I have this mod in the A500 that I use, as I never bothered finding a replacement internal mechanism for it and I have loads of external drives.

If you wish, you could make this switchable: bend out SEL0 and SEL1 and wire a switch to alternately connect them straight or swapped to the socket. Then you could make the first external drive DF0 whenever you wish and easily swap it back.

CIA pinouts:
I do not fully understand. I would like be able to switch between a gotek and the floppy drive, but is there a way that does not involve "destructive" modding of the amiga motherboard? I always seem to destroy things.

I saw this thread that directs here:
http://www.melon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=822
and this image:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7HIYtX3y1l...0/DSC_0055.JPG

Both of my drives are internal drives, so one has to get external power I assume.

Is this doable, maybe there is a kit that you can buy to hook it up?
Old 02 March 2016, 16:52   #12
Vaninna

EDIT:

I see that I committed some true threadomancy here, so I will start a new thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81811
Old 02 March 2016, 20:50   #13
Jope
-

No, let's keep the discussion in this one. Thread necromancy is fine if you continue the same discussion.

The picture you saw is the switchable solution, DS0 and DS1 are just crossed over or straight depending on the switch.

As you can see, two sockets are inserted back to back with the drive select pins of the top one bent to the side so that they don't pass through. The switch is wired between the top socket and the bottom socket, then your socket sandwich just plugs between the motherboard and the CIA.
Old 02 March 2016, 21:29   #14
Vaninna

OK, awesome, I get it. Really cool!

And for the external disk drive, with the right cable it would be no problem with plugging in a gotek (internal) drive?

That would make it a really flexible setup.
Old 03 March 2016, 08:52   #15
Jope
-

You can gut a non-working drive (not a roctec rf-332) and connect the gotek in the original mechanism's place.

Someone on ebay was also selling the equivalent of an external drive's electronics, but attached directly to a connector so that you can plug it directly behind the computer, then connect the gotek to that. Comes to the same thing though, there is "only one way" to make an Amiga extra drive.
Old 04 May 2016, 00:48   #16
asapreta

I have just a doubt, as we are modding the port (external floppy) to run DF1 as DF0, the drive itself, on the external port should be a DF1 one, right? Ex. If I have a spare internal, to test this mod, I should set is as DF1 instead of DF0?
Old 04 May 2016, 01:18   #17
jdog320
I dunno

Or.... Go to the service menu and select df1:
Old 04 May 2016, 02:07   #18
asapreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog320 View Post
Or.... Go to the service menu and select df1:
Its an A500 kickstart 1.3

I built the external cable, following this schematic:

Checked directly in the drive each connection and all are good.
The drives does the disc change and when a disc is inserted it tries to boot, does some movement on the heads than fails to the insert disc screen.

The discs are good as I use them when the drive is normally connected as DF0.

Any ideas?
Old 04 May 2016, 17:45   #19
asapreta

I just saw elsewhere I need to reroute MTR0 and MTR1 signals too. Does anyone have an schematic for this?

Best regards.
Old 04 May 2016, 19:42   #20
r.cade

Send a message via AIM to r.cade Send a message via MSN to r.cade Send a message via Yahoo to r.cade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post

CIA pinouts:
I tried putting SEL0/SEL1 on a switch from pulled pins to sockets and cross them on my A1000, but the SEL0 signal also goes somewhere else on the board and this does not work totally.

When switched, the external drive is DF0, which is what I wanted ultimately (Gotek) but the internal drive does not work as DF1 this way (no response). Switched back the other way, all works (DF0 internal, DF1 external). Is the A500 board different where this works properly or is there more to this mod than that, or is the internal drive never going to work with this mod?