English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 November 2015, 23:28   #1
Pheonix

A4000 Won't boot with Buddha installed.

My original build was with a 3.6G HDD, a 6.5G HDD and a DVD-ROM drive. All of these through a Buddha Flash card. But the system would never boot up, just change screen color, then drop signal over and over. I switched out the Buddha Flash for a Catweasel S-Class (on board Buddha,) and the same thing occurred. Remove them and it boots just fine. Tried them in different Zorro slots, and the problem remains.

I double checked to make sure they were right side up, and I also made sure the IDE terminator was installed on the on-board IDE connector. I also tried it with the terminator removed. The only effect that had was that it took much longer to get to the insert WB disk screen when booting. It still refused to boot with the Buddha/Catweasel installed.

Is there some jumper or other setting that is causing the Buddha to fail? I do have a Picasso-IV card installed (with flicker-fixer attached,) to allow me to connect to my monitor. I would try it with the Picasso removed, except that I don't have any way to get video except through the Picasso. The A4000, apparently doesn't have the composite RCA video jack that the A2000 has. Unless it's hidden somewhere I can't find.
Old 22 November 2015, 01:12   #2
idrougge

Why use a Buddha at all? It isn't faster than your usual IDE port.
Old 22 November 2015, 02:51   #3
dannyp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
That's why I was surprised at the prices Buddha's were going for the last couple weeks when Software Hut was selling them on EBay.
Old 22 November 2015, 07:43   #4
Pheonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
The Buddha has 3 IDE ports (2 on the Catweasel,) so that I can have all 3 devices attached, and not be limited to 1 HDD & 1 CD/DVD drive. Also, I was under the impression that the Buddha had faster transfer rates than the on-board IDE, though I don't remember where I read that.

Unless there is something I've missed about activating the Buddha/Catweasel, it looks like I'm going to be limited to the on-board port any way.
Old 22 November 2015, 08:40   #5
McTrinsic

The Buddhas on eBay did not all actually sell. The Buddha Gold "the last One" sold two times

They are extremely reliable and seem to offer a slightly improved performance compared to the internal IDE.
Anyways they seem to be more sought for A2000s.

The Buddha/Catweasel again has a huge benefit of changeable timing, to make it compatible with old drives and busboards. Plus, of course, the great Catweasel functionality. Also you get more IDE-Ports.
The Buddha Flash (Gold) also offers a Clockport additionally to the Icomp-Expansionport, that was great back then.

Both are still awesome, recommended devices.

Anyways: did you check the full documentation incl. manual and Icomp-Wiki?

Cheers,
McT
Old 22 November 2015, 09:40   #6
Pheonix

I checked the WIKI and read the Catweasel manual (can't find a Buddha manual.) Couldn't find anything that I could change without first booting with the unit installed in the system. I would need to boot into the system to flash the ROM, which is the only thing I could find to change.

Since I'm planning to install OS 3.9, the 4G HDD limit won't be a problem. 3.9 will patch the scsi.device driver for large HDD access during boot (the first partition is still limited to 4G from what I understand.) I will just be limited to a single HDD, instead of being able to install multiple drives.

If I can't find a fix for the issue, my last resort will be to put the CD on the IDE port, and dig out my SCSI drives for the SCSI adaptor for my Cyberstorm CPU card. I'd rather use IDE drives as I have quite a large number of them laying around, and they are quite a bit cheaper to replace than a SCSI drive. Though SCSI drives, generally, are faster than IDE drives. I'm also not sure if I have a terminator for the SCSI line.
Old 22 November 2015, 10:19   #7
thomas

Can you boot with the drives connected to the internal IDE bus and the Buddha/Catweasel with no drives?

BTW, SCSI on the Cyberstorm (whichever you have) will be much faster than IDE.

Quote:
But the system would never boot up, just change screen color, then drop signal over and over.
Quote:
The only effect that had was that it took much longer to get to the insert WB disk screen when booting.
So the behaviour is completely different whether the IDE terminator is on or removed? Could you please be precise?
Old 22 November 2015, 10:38   #8
Pheonix

Sorry I wasn't more clear. With the Buddha/Catweasel installed, it wouldn't boot at all, with or without the terminator on the on-board IDE port. It just took much longer to get to the insert floppy screen with the terminator removed and the Buddha/Catweasel not installed.

By not booting but change color then drop signal meant..... It would power up, the monitor would change color then the monitor would say "No Signal" followed by going dark again, change color, say "No Signal" etc.... The monitor puts up a "No Signal" message when set to VGA input and there is no signal (power) on the VGA.

With drives attached to the internal IDE port, it does the same thing. Refuse to boot with Buddha/Catweasel installed and Boot just fine without the Buddha/Catweasel.
Old 22 November 2015, 10:56   #9
thomas

Quote:
It would power up, the monitor would change color then the monitor would say "No Signal" followed by going dark again, change color, say "No Signal" etc.... The monitor puts up a "No Signal" message when set to VGA input and there is no signal (power) on the VGA.
How does the power LED on the Amiga behave during this? Does it stay bright or stay dimmed or does it blink?

I would expect it to blink while the monitor is dark, then stay dimmed for a short time while the monitor shows no signal and then repeat the procedure.

This would mean that there is a crash in the Buddha's firmware and the Amiga automatically resets only to start from the beginning again.

Could you try to replace the Cyberstorm by the normal 68030 CPU card? Perhaps it is the 68060 which causes the crash.
Old 22 November 2015, 11:17   #10
Pheonix

That's exactly what the LED does.

I cannot replace the Cyberstorm because the A4000 I bought only came with it and not the original.
Old 22 November 2015, 19:47   #11
Pheonix

Problem sort-of solved.

Set it up with drive attached to the on-board IDE and installed OS 2.1 (highest version I could find the disks for right now.) When I changed the screen preferences, I lost the screen (though VGA signal remained.) After looking up the Picasso IV jumpers and setting them back to default the problem remained. Removed the Picasso IV and installed the A2320 from my A2000 (it's problem is in another thread,) and now all the screen modes work just fine (though I would really need to tweak the pots on the 2320 to fix some of the blurriness.)

At this point, decided to try installing the Buddha card again. It booted up just fine. I then moved the IDE cable to the Buddha, with the IDE terminator on the MB port, and it booted just fine. Same thing with the Catweasel.

So, the new issue is, what's wrong with the Picasso IV card? From left to right, the 7 jumpers are: Open, Open, Closed, Open, Closed, Open, Closed. Which is the default settings according to Here. Identical information is also in the manual. I've examined the board and cannot find any broken traces and the caps all look good. Finally all socked chips are firmly seated and I cannot fine any broken or bent pins on socketed or un-socketed chips.

Finally, I forced it into Zorro II and 2MB mode, as well as Sync on Green, Force 24-Bit, and changed AGA timing (even though AGA mode isn't available in OS 2.1.) All without altering the problem.
Old 24 November 2015, 22:16   #12
Pheonix

A bit more information. Discovered that the P4 has an early boot screen as well (hit shift during boot.) If I disable Interlace Capture, then when I boot the system, I don't get a screen. Looks like the screen is shifted down & to the left and is a solid color. It has been green, brown, black, & white. Others may pop up, but those are the ones I saw during testing. Hitting space at the screen causes it to refresh but looks the same after.

I am currently attempting to find my Kryoflux to write some testing programs and the flash ROM update to try those, but am having trouble finding it right now. I don't hold much hope out for it to work, though.
Old 27 November 2015, 21:26   #13
mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
A bit more information. Discovered that the P4 has an early boot screen as well (hit shift during boot.) If I disable Interlace Capture, then when I boot the system, I don't get a screen. Looks like the screen is shifted down & to the left and is a solid color. It has been green, brown, black, & white. Others may pop up, but those are the ones I saw during testing. Hitting space at the screen causes it to refresh but looks the same after.

I am currently attempting to find my Kryoflux to write some testing programs and the flash ROM update to try those, but am having trouble finding it right now. I don't hold much hope out for it to work, though.
I would check the revision of chips you have on the PIV,it sounds like there may be some old ones. Also you might make sure the flicker fixer is flashed to the latest.
last but not least, since the flicker fixer is designed to snap off for A2000 use, it may have a few broken traces between the ff and main piv(even though it hasn't been snapped loose). you can bridge the 2 pin headers with short cables if this is the case to fix it.
Old 27 November 2015, 22:06   #14
zipper

Push down the socketed chips on PIV, they may creep up.
Old 30 November 2015, 18:04   #15
Pheonix

Found my Kryoflux and wrote the PIV update files to a floppy. Selected Boot without Startup sequence and ran P4Info first. Everything looked good there (to the best of my knowledge.) Then tried the Flash Update, and it reported that the ROM was already 7.4 (the latest I could find.)

Removed the 2 removable chips, cleaned the connections and re-inserted them. Making sure that they were firmly and completely inserted. Problem remains. Examined the FF sub-board traces under a magnifying glass. They were all solid & complete. Do not have the cables to attach. Again, the problem remains.

Also, found my OS 3.1 floppies, and booted to those instead of the OS 2.1 floppies I had been using. Cannot get a workbench screen at all with those, though I can get a CLI screen if I select the no Startup Sequence option.

Again, I examined the board as best I could under a magnifying glass, and cannot find anything wrong. The caps all look fine, there is no burn marks or scratches that I can find. No disconnected pins. I also used a Ohm meter to measure some of the pins of the cable connectors, and the ones I tested were all fine.
Old 03 December 2015, 07:20   #16
Codetsu

if i don't connect any drive on Buddha my A2000 wont boot at all
but when i remove IDE cable system work just fine =/

some mystery reason some times it wont find drives on IDE1 connector
i think it's some how broken...
or is this normal ?
Old 03 December 2015, 14:23   #17
thomas

Broken cable.
Old 03 December 2015, 17:25   #18
idrougge

If you need more than two units, use an IDE multiplexer. They cost a lot less than a Buddha.
Old 10 December 2015, 16:19   #19
MastaTabs

Well, this might me two problems.

At first you should go to my site and get the 7.5 FlashROM update http://www.sophisticated-development...ware/index.php

This fixes an issue with the loading of the saved flicker fixer settings at boot.

The next one is tricky and might not have a solution.
The boot roms of the PIV and the Buddha controllers interfere with each other. This is pretty hard to debug at this level of system startup. But it all seems to be related to a bug in the expansion.library and this one is processor cache related.

I'm sorry but there is no workaround for it.
Old 21 August 2016, 04:06   #20
Pheonix

Sorry about the extremely long delay.... Had to move, and packed everything away, and just recently got my Amigas out to start working on them again.

Currently, it looks like there is something wrong with this Picasso IV card It took me forever to find one with the FliFi included (and this one is actually attached. And yes, I tested to make sure that the connections were all good. Took a while, but an Ohm-meter and a lot of patience showed that they were all connecting. I also flashed to the 7.5 ROM.

It only works if I check-mark "Interlace Capture Enable". Then it will only boot into default, Low-Res, non-interlace, 4 color mode. As soon as I chance the resolution, turn on interlace, increase the colors - bye-bye goes my video .

Not having my Buddha installed (only have one of those,) I replaced every last bit of hardware. 2 different mother boards, 2 different riser cards, 2 different sticks of CHIP RAM, 8 different sticks of MB RAM, 2 different Power Supplies, even 2 different floppy drives. Multiple versions of Workbench (2.1, 3.0, & 3.1,) all had the same results. Oh, I also didn't change out the mouse or the keyboard.... Sorry, didn't think of that until just now.

In all honest, while I'd sort of like to have an RTG card, I'm really only interested in a Flicker-Fixer & Scan Doubler that supports full Over-Scan, AGA, Super-Hi-Res, PAL & NTSC, Interlace mode. Preferably one that uses the video expansion designed into original hardware. I've seen other options, where's that's concerned, it's just that this is what I had.

So, I guess, I'm going to have to add that to my wish to trade list now. For now, I'm going to use my A2320 to test what I already have (Buddha, HDD's etc...) and set my 4000 back into storage until I finalize my need list. Work on my A2000 problems (different thread,) and hopefully not have an overly large shopping list when all is said and done. Though, I do have quite a bit for trade