English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 21 November 2012, 01:48   #1
vext01

FS-UAE ported to OpenBSD

Hi,

You guys said you like feedback, so here we go.

Yesterday I spent some time building an OpenBSD port of fs-uae. It required some patching, but nothing major:

- Add a profile for OpenBSD that sets the -DOPENBSD to the build and sets ${make} to gmake.
- Hacked the example config file a bit (you probably don't want that upstream)
- Missing libpng CPPFLAGS
- A missing #include to define MAXLOGNAME
- 'cp -a' is not portable, use install(1) or tar instead.
- Some other misc bits.

I have only done the bare minimum to allow packaging for OpenBSD. For example I did not alter *all* of the 'cp -a' instances.

My patches are here:
https://github.com/jasperla/openbsd-...fs-uae/patches

I have not been able to get fullscreen working. I assume that pressing f12 and selecting the fullscreen icon should make fs-uae full screen(?). Well it remains windowed, just adds black bars at the top and bottom. Doing something wrong? Tried this under both awesome wm and fvwm. Same behavior.

My video hardware:
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel GM965 Host" rev 0x0c
vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel GM965 Video" rev 0x0c

I had to turn off video sync to get non-stuttery sound. Not really tried playing any games properly to see if there is any delay. I will try when I find some time.

General Feature Requests

- I have not yet tested joysticks, but configuration looks awkward. I write some code for another emulator (dgen-sdl), which prompts the user to press buttons on the joypad, thereby sidestepping the need to hack a config file. This would be a nice addition to your emulator.

- Instead of listing disks one by one in the config file, have a directory for each drive which can be selected from the f12 menu. I know there is a launcher that aims to make this easier, but why should we need extra software.

A pretty decent piece of engineering you have here. Thanks for your work.

I have posted my port to the openbsd ports mailing list (http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=135345733431873&w=2). If we get fullscreen and joysticks working, it is likely to be packaged. Fingers crossed.

(You might also find out if fs-uae builds on some exotic architectures, like sgi, alpha and vax :P )

Thanks

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 12 December 2012 at 23:41.
Old 21 November 2012, 01:49   #2
vext01

PS. Is there a way to release the mouse from fs-uae?
Old 21 November 2012, 07:44   #3
Foul

Send a message via ICQ to Foul Send a message via MSN to Foul
Middle mouse button ?
Old 21 November 2012, 11:14   #4
vext01

Ah, middle mouse button indeed. Thanks

FWIW I tried fs-uae on another machine (again amd64) with the following graphics hardware:
pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Q45 Host" rev 0x03
vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel Q45 Video" rev 0x03

Fullscreen behaves the same here. Still windowed, but aspect ratio changes.
Old 21 November 2012, 19:22   #5
vext01

A quick update:

Oddly, fullscreen works fine if I use the command line switch --full-screen.

If I start the emulator in a window and use the fullscreen toggle on the HUD, fullscreen does not work. fs-use remains a window.

Joystick config is a complete mystery. The pad I use with dgen and mednafen is this:
---8<---
uhidev0 at uhub4 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "WiseGroup.,Ltd MP-8888 USB Joypad" rev 1.10/3.00 addr 2
uhidev0: iclass 3/0
uhid0 at uhidev0: input=7, output=3, feature=0
---8<---

This is a playstation 1 to usb adaptor with a playstation pad attached.

Fs-uae obviously recognises there is a joystick present as I can select a 'joystick(0)' from the hud when it is plugged in. But then fs-uae does not appear to receive events.

I guess I need to configure joypad_1_port. Port one because the mouse in in port 0(?). The thing is, I don't understand what we should set this to. Looking /usr/local/share/fs-uae/input/wisegroup_ltd i see a couple of configs that sound like they might match:

mp_8866_dual_usb_joypad.ini
tigergame_ps_ps2_game_controller_adapter.ini

But what should one set the joystick_port_1 directive to? All we are told is a "joystick name". Is that the string found in "name=" in the input ini files? Is it the name in the comment at the top of an input ini file?

Eg.

The top of tigergame_ps_ps2_game_controller_adapter.ini is:

---8<---
# SmartJoyPlus / TigerGame PS/PS2 Game Controller Adapter

[device]
name = WISEGROUP.,LTD TIGERGAME PS/PS2 GAME CONTROLLER ADAPTER
---8<---

So, should I put in my config:
joystick_port_1 = WISEGROUP.,LTD TIGERGAME PS/PS2 GAME CONTROLLER ADAPTER

Is this correct?

grepping for "joy" in the log file I get:

---8<---
joystick_port_1 = WISEGROUP.,LTD TIGERGAME PS/PS2 GAME CONTROLLER ADAPTER
get system config for device: joystick_0_12_4_1_0_linux
config file for joystick_0_12_4_1_0_linux was not found
did not find menu config for device "joystick_0_12_4_1_0_linux"
get system config for device: joystick_0
config file for joystick_0 was not found
did not find menu config for device "joystick_0"
init_joystick
configuring joystick ports:
set option "joyport0" to "none" (result: 1)
set option "joyport1" to "none" (result: 1)
configuring joystick port 0 (mouse)
configuring joystick port 1 (WISEGROUP.,LTD TIGERGAME PS/PS2 GAME CONTROLLER ADAPTER)
configure joystick "WISEGROUP.,LTD TIGERGAME PS/PS2 GAME CONTROLLER ADAPTER" for "amiga"
configuring joystick port 2 (nothing)
configuring joystick port 3 (nothing)
init_joystick
***** amiga_set_joystick_port_mode port=0 mode=1
configuring joystick port 0
configuring joystick port 1
configuring joystick port 2
configuring joystick port 3
map_custom_joystick_actions
map_custom_joystick_actions for JOYSTICK (0)
config name "joystick_0_12_4_1_0_linux"
did not find generic gamepad config for device "joystick_0_12_4_1_0_linux"
config name "joystick_0"
did not find generic gamepad config for device "joystick_0"
config name "joystick_0"
map_custom_joystick_actions for KEYBOARD
***** amiga_set_joystick_port_mode port=1 mode=2
configuring joystick port 0
configuring joystick port 1
* amiga joystick
configure joystick "" for "amiga"
configuring joystick port 2
configuring joystick port 3
map_custom_joystick_actions
map_custom_joystick_actions for JOYSTICK (0)
config name "joystick_0"
config name "joystick_0"
map_custom_joystick_actions for KEYBOARD
---8<---

I don't know how to interpret this. My guess is something is failing.

Last edited by vext01; 21 November 2012 at 19:38.
Old 21 November 2012, 19:57   #6
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, and thanks for the patches. I have incorporated some of them for the next development release. Some of the other issues were fixed in a different way (by introducing appropriate HAVE_* defines and removing some OS checks in the source).

Regarding the fullscreen "issue", the problem must be my drawing skills rather than programming skills The button you are trying is the button to toggle between keep aspect ratio and full video streching. There is no GUI button for full-screen toggling, but you can use the keyboard shortcut F12+f (http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/keyboard-shortcuts).

The input capture can be released with F12+g in addition to the middle mouse button.

There is no GUI for browsing the file system for disks. One reason is that it takes time to create GUI, and the GUI would have to work quite efficiently with possibly thousands of floppies in one directory. Not a problem per se, but a quick hack to fill the existing non-scrollable list with floppies from a directory will not work very well unless you have one directory per game (and thus few files in the directory). Another reason that this has not been given priority yet is that FS-UAE itself was never intended by have a *full* GUI for configuring all options, but rather the necessary UI to *use* the Amiga emulator while running -and floppies can be set up in advance, for example by an external program. But it really comes down to prioritization, I still have many things on the todo list

I do recommend using FS-UAE Launcher (included) if you want to casually start stuff...

By the way, one or your examples in example.conf is wrong:
Code:
# You can list >1 disk per drive.
#floppy_drive_0 = /path/to/some-adf-image.adf
#floppy_drive_0 = /path/to/second_disk_for_drive.adf
This is not possible, and the last specified floppy_drive_0 will override the first one.

Finally, joysticks:

You can put the following in the configuration file - the actual system name of your device:
Code:
joystick_port_1 = WiseGroup.,Ltd MP-8888 USB Joypad
The reason it does not work is that a button mapping is not defined for this device. As you have noticed, there is support for a similar device: mp_8866_dual_usb_joypad.ini. If the devices are compatible (same button numbering), you can try to copy mp_8866_dual_usb_joypad.ini to mp_8888_usb_joypad.ini in the same directory. If not, you need to make suitable changes mp_8888_usb_joypad.ini.

Alternatively, FS-UAE Launcher has a graphical tool to create a mapping config for your joystick.

FS-UAE will soon probably also support automatically creating an implicit config for "unknown" devices, but this will only support emulating a simple Amiga joystick with one fire button (It's not really possible to guess the correct layout for mapping the buttons to CD32 buttons, for example, but a default config for a simple one-button joystick will work in almost all access).
Old 21 November 2012, 20:04   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Actually, when looking more on the log snippet and what you said about the menu, you actually need to use:
Code:
joystick_port_1 = joystick(0)
And the corresponding joystick config file is joystick_0.ini (you can put this config file in the FS-UAE/Controllers dir) -or just configure it graphically with FS-UAE Launcher.

While the joystick name is recognized by the OS (uhidev0 at uhub4 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 "WiseGroup.,Ltd MP-8888 USB Joypad" rev 1.10/3.00 addr 2), it is for some reason known simply as joystick(0) to SDL...
Old 21 November 2012, 20:23   #8
gonzalo

OpenBSD -Current

I have OpenBSD -current running on amd64 and:

- Fullscreen works fine with alt+enter.
- Keyboard works fine.
- No joystick to try.

My video card:

vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS" rev 0xa1

Config file:

amiga_model = A500
kickstart_file = ~/.config/fs-uae/rom/A500.rom
floppy_drive_0 = ~/.config/fs-uae/Space.Quest.2.adf
video_sync = off
accuracy = -1

And some pictures fullscreen:

http://x61.com.ar/openbsd/IMG_20121121_090117.jpg
http://x61.com.ar/openbsd/IMG_20121121_132436.jpg
http://x61.com.ar/openbsd/IMG_20121121_132444.jpg

And yes, thats my breakfast.

Cheers.

Old 23 November 2012, 02:01   #9
vext01

OK, thanks for the info. I have now resolved all of my issues with fs-uae. I have also committed the port:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...lators/fs-uae/

Can I draw your attention to this new diff:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...ines_h?rev=1.1

We do not have ucontext.h and so can not support the JIT.

I wrote a README to help OpenBSD users get up and running. It is here:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...README?rev=1.1

An example config file accompanies the README:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...e_conf?rev=1.1

All looks good to you?

What did you think of the joystick calibration feature I mentioned? Like the way it works in dgen and mednafen. The emulator would prompt the user to press each button that needs to be mapped and save a config file away based upon this. This would sidestep the need to mess about with joystick configuration files manually.

Anyway, thanks for your emulator. Good stuff.
Old 23 November 2012, 21:53   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Please take a look at the recently released 2.1.4, the first attempt at OpenBSD support in the source release . @vext01, I have looked at your patches and incorporated them or done other changes to achieve the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vext01 View Post
OK, thanks for the info. I have now resolved all of my issues with fs-uae. I have also committed the port: http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...lators/fs-uae/
Can I draw your attention to this new diff:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...ines_h?rev=1.1
We do not have ucontext.h and so can not support the JIT.
Great -And ucontext.h fix is included in 2.1.4!

Quote:
I wrote a README to help OpenBSD users get up and running. It is here:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...README?rev=1.1

An example config file accompanies the README:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...e_conf?rev=1.1

All looks good to you?
Yes, just some comments:
- Version 2.1.4 is now out, which should be able to autoconfigure most joystick devices for Amiga. So using joysticks on OpenBSD should be a lot easier. (CD32 and menu navigation still requires a fully configured device)
- specifying joystick_port_1 = <yourdevice> is normally not necessary - FS-UAE will use the first available connected joystick instead of keyboard emulation if it can be configured for Amiga (which is basically all devices with 2.1.4+, see below).
- kickstart_file is normally not necessary to specify. FS-UAE will automatically load a relevant kickstart for the amiga model (if found in the Kickstarts dir). So this is only needed for non-standard kickstarts. (Also, the directory component can be left out if the .rom file is in the standard Kickstarts dir..)
- Alt + Enter works, but F12+f is the preferred shortcut because with the former, the alt key press will be sent to the Amiga first (which may not be desirable).

Quote:
What did you think of the joystick calibration feature I mentioned? Like the way it works in dgen and mednafen. The emulator would prompt the user to press each button that needs to be mapped and save a config file away based upon this. This would sidestep the need to mess about with joystick configuration files manually.

Anyway, thanks for your emulator. Good stuff.
With the joystick auto-configuration, and since FS-UAE Launcher already can perform this mapping visually, there's little motivation to prioritize an in-fs-uae-mapper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo View Post
I have OpenBSD -current running on amd64 and:
My video card: vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS" rev 0xa1
nVIDIA has no accelerated OpenGL in OpenBSD, right? I assume this will cause a bit of "slowness"...
Old 02 December 2012, 19:13   #11
vext01

Hi,

Where is the 2.1.4 release code? All download links on the website say the latest is 2.0.1.

AFAIK, we have no closed source drivers graphics in OpenBSD, so any GL acceleration must be from opensource xorg drivers.

Cheers
Old 02 December 2012, 20:47   #12
vext01

Hi again,

Found the sources with google. They build out of the box and the controllers work out of the box too. This is good.

The launcher lacks the ability to turn off video sync. I tried to add this feature and failed. I notice that the NTSC checkbox is not hooked in properly either. Is there an issue with checkbox inputs?

My attempt:
https://gist.github.com/4190613

To be honest, I don't much like the launcher in it's current state, although it does work. I think the F12 menu is much nicer. I think it would be better for the launcher settings to be implemented there.

It would also be sweet to have the ability to swap disks on the fly using the F12 menu.

Cheers
Old 02 December 2012, 21:04   #13
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Hi again,
Found the sources with google. They build out of the box and the controllers work out of the box too. This is good.
Great -The latest development source code archive is always available here: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/download-devel

Quote:
The launcher lacks the ability to turn off video sync. I tried to add this feature and failed. I notice that the NTSC checkbox is not hooked in properly either. Is there an issue with checkbox inputs?
The video sync option is available under Settings -> Video Settings. I haven't noticed any problems with the NTSC checkbox, and have not got other error reports for this... -Perhaps there is a problem only when used with the specific wxWidgets/wxPython you're using it with?

Quote:
To be honest, I don't much like the launcher in it's current state, although it does work. I think the F12 menu is much nicer. I think it would be better for the launcher settings to be implemented there.
Fair enough, but I do have several reasons why it is implemented like this. -A major reason is that it is easier and faster to implement the configuration UI and associated functionality "outside" FS-UAE. Associated functionality includes online database system and net play lobby (etc). I only put stuff which is needed during emulation in FS-UAE itself.

Quote:
It would also be sweet to have the ability to swap disks on the fly using the F12 menu.
This has always been possible -but FS-UAE does not currently include a full file system browser, so the disks must be chosen in advance in the Launcher (or in config file). A nice shortcut feature in the launcher is the "Select Multiple Files..." button which lets you select multiple disks for a game, fills as many drives as possible with these disks and put these along with the rest in the swapping list.
Old 02 December 2012, 21:28   #14
vext01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
The video sync option is available under Settings -> Video Settings. I haven't noticed any problems with the NTSC checkbox, and have not got other error reports for this... -Perhaps there is a problem only when used with the specific wxWidgets/wxPython you're using it with?
In the snapshot I download the ntsc checkboz functionality was commented out.

As for video sync. I don't see a setting menu/tab or anything saying settings for that matter. It looks like this (ignore the video sync checkbox that I hacked on):
http://imgur.com/RfF5D

I am running:

py-wxPython-2.8.12.0
wxWidgets-gtk2-2.8.12

When the launcher starts i see this:
VersionError('Requested version of wxPython not found',)

Could be something to do with that(?)

A couple of extra feature requests:
* add the ability to remove configurations
* Make the window scale when resized. I couldn't find the launch button for ages until I made the window fullscreen.
Old 02 December 2012, 21:47   #15
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Well, that image explains why you don't like the Launcher very much

It should look more like this: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/wp-conten...1/Launcher.png

So yes, there seems to be a problem on your system, and it's probably related to the error message you get. Perhaps an older version (2.6?) is used instead on your system. You should focus your efforts on investigating this further...

To answer the to last points:
- Removing configurations is possible now by deleting the .fs-uae files from the file system. But yes, the launcher should also get a right-click menu or something with an delete option.
- The UI does scale with window size (but is requires a certain minimum size). But your issue here may also be related to the whole something-is-wrong-with-wxpython problem.
Old 02 December 2012, 22:05   #16
vext01

Ah right. Yes that looks a lot more usable.

Well:
---8<---

olmy:~> python
Python 2.7.3 (default, Oct 13 2012, 20:41:07)
[GCC 4.2.1 20070719 ] on openbsd5
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import wxversion
>>> wxversion.getInstalled()
[]
---8<---

This would indicate that no wxPython versions are installed, but if that were the case, then the launcher would not run atall.

Also I notice when running the gui:

---8<---
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/edd/source/fs-uae-2.1.9dev/launcher/fs_uae_launcher/fsui/wx/panel.py", line 79, in __paint_event
self.on_paint()
File "/home/edd/source/fs-uae-2.1.9dev/launcher/fs_uae_launcher/ui/ScreenshotsPanel.py", line 94, in on_paint
dc = self.create_dc()
File "/home/edd/source/fs-uae-2.1.9dev/launcher/fs_uae_launcher/fsui/wx/panel.py", line 67, in create_dc
return DrawingContext(self._paint_dc)
File "/home/edd/source/fs-uae-2.1.9dev/launcher/fs_uae_launcher/fsui/wx/dc.py", line 24, in __init__
self.gc = wx.GraphicsContext_Create(dc)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/wx/_gdi.py", line 5940, in GraphicsContext_Create
val = _gdi_.GraphicsContext_Create(*args)
NotImplementedError: wx.GraphicsContext is not available on this platform.
---8<---

Looks like a packaging error at our end, but I don't know. Any ideas?
Old 02 December 2012, 22:09   #17
vext01

This could also be related:

---8<---
checking /usr/local/bin/Portable.ini
checking /usr/local/Portable.ini
checking /usr/Portable.ini
checking /Portable.ini
no Portable.ini found in search path
base_dir not decided yet, checking FS_UAE_BASE_DIR
using default base_dir
---8<---
Old 02 December 2012, 22:41   #18
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
NotImplementedError: wx.GraphicsContext is not available on this platform.
This is probably the problem. This means that the wxWidgets installation is not complete -it has been compiled without support for the wxGraphicsContext class, which is used to draw some of the graphics, and gradients with transparency.

(If wxGraphicsContext cannot be enabled on OpenBSD, you should be able to comment out the use of wx.GraphicsContext in the launcher and the Launcher should work fine without it -though missing some rendering bits).
Old 02 December 2012, 22:50   #19
vext01

Yup, it seems graphicscontext was not enabled in our wx. Hacking it now.
Old 03 December 2012, 00:30   #20
vext01

Fixed with enabling graphicscontext in wxWidgets.

The version module bug is separate, but does not prevent the launcher from running.