English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 27 March 2020, 16:04   #201
roondar

I'm not into playing a blame-game. What I am in favour of is seeing how such things can be prevented in the future.

Which means that we might have to reconsider how we deal with markets such as China* has that probably were the origin of the virus. It might also mean having to reconsider how we deal with air traffic. Not in the sense of stopping it or something like that, but in the sense of how we deal with people who are ill (even slightly) who want to travel.

But that is a hard decision to make and it's not at all clear to me if the cost would outweigh the benefits here. I'm not a fan of such harsh and permanent restrictions on freedoms. Perhaps we might even have to simply accept these kind of things happening and leave it at that.

*) but not only China. These kind of things are done in many places worldwide and could also lead to diseases there. To be clear then: my point is not about the individual country or it's people.
Old 27 March 2020, 16:27   #202
BullyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Since you live in Texas (greet ZZ Top from me plz!), you should be aware that, unless a vaccine or some kind of remedy is developed soon, people with health problems (potheads, fatsos, etc. pardon my french!) due to diets excessively relying on calories, salt, and saturated fat among your fellow countrymen will most likely bite the dust first.
Yes, we are a fat country and I'm a high risk due to my age and weight. I accepted it if it were to be my demise. I lived a comfortable life and live with chronic pain (under treatment since 91). I'm about to be 70 and not looking forward to 80 where I'll have more pain and someone to change my diapers.
Old 27 March 2020, 17:32   #203
d4rk3lf

@Anubis
I am not taking any sides (at least, not here, not now)
Just telling what I think of situation, and responding to Hewitson on why I think nobody could force China to do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
It is not just US companies that invested in china, it is Europe as well.
Sure, I agreed.
Many invested in cheap labor, therefore making China powerful as it is today.

Quote:
What rights?? People of China have no rights, not under current communist system that opened its doors for capitalism...
Well, you seem a little biased here. They don't have some civil rights, sure, but it's not like they being whiped out every day... it's not like traditional US friend Saudi Arabia.
--------------------

Anyway, I would also like to see that the whole world start yelling to China, that, for starters, first close every single marketplace where these viruses can appear again.
That would be good start I think.
Old 27 March 2020, 18:53   #204
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
I see a bit too much politics here and there in some of the recent posts. It would be a good thing to avoid drifting too much into murky waters.
Old 27 March 2020, 20:26   #205
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
@Anubis
Well, you seem a little biased here. They don't have some civil rights, sure, but it's not like they being whiped out every day... it's not like traditional US friend Saudi Arabia.
--------------------

Anyway, I would also like to see that the whole world start yelling to China, that, for starters, first close every single marketplace where these viruses can appear again.
That would be good start I think.
F* them both. Not much difference for regular people in either one and if you ask me, both should be forbidden from any international investments / markets until they fix oppression of common folks. Add Russia to that mix and their czar now, that he can stay in power indefinitely.

lilalurl is right, this can't end good... let's talk about positive things... like Oxford students using small board computer (rpi like) and regular stuff to make very needed ventilators.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 March 2020, 20:52   #206
nobody

Now the Chinese say the world is going down because some shorty local barbarian had sex with animals, probaby a bat. How the f*ck can you have sex with a bat?
Old 27 March 2020, 20:58   #207
BullyDog

Drill a hole in it?
Old 28 March 2020, 02:04   #208
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
They're called skidmarks, at least in Australia, NZ and the UK.
Ah, yes thank you, while shitting one's pants express shock, surprise or to chicken out. Now, I 've got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thellier View Post
I am afraid that the next virus will be ebola
In the headline news, coronavirus is sometimes called the ebola of rich countries. What strikes me of odd is how "sanitized" comes death with the current virus for the sickest among infected population, nothing suppurating from your sores, no blood coughing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
it might change to kill young people more often than the old. Would people take it more serious then? Seems like some people think that it is fine as long as it is just grandma that dies
Exactly my thoughts. At last, we agree on something . In France, we call this dreadful yet very common trend "le jeunisme", ageism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
having to reconsider how we deal with air traffic. Not in the sense of stopping it or something like that, but in the sense of how we deal with people who are ill who want to travel.
In a plane, circulating air from the cabin apertures is renewed every two hours and continuously heated since outside, it's polar temperature. Such air would be improper for direct inhalation otherwise, for obvious reasons. On the other hand, I believe traveling by boat especially on long trips puts you at greater risk in terms of potential contagiousness. It might stem from the fact that particles are being blown in greater quantities in the air conditioning system, with a snowball effect each time another passenger gets infected by the virus.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 28 March 2020 at 11:53.
Old 28 March 2020, 09:19   #209
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
[...] Seems like some people think that it is fine as long as it is just grandma that dies.. I think grandma would object to that notion. [...]
Of course Grandma and Grandpa would disagree.
But who is going to pay the taxes in the coming years to finance the states (to help, in case of crisis, the private companies that don't pay enough taxes) ?
People in retirement ?
They make me laugh a lot (yellow) with their "full/rich life" speech to let the elderly die ...

Hope that all of you here (and your relatives) are in good health. Take care .
Old 28 March 2020, 13:07   #210
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Nobody listens to smart people...some here wish him even dead...

https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates...xt?language=dz

His wife and he offered 100mil to help with corona.
Old 28 March 2020, 14:37   #211
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 March 2020, 15:38   #212
SquawkBox

Quote:
Nobody listens to smart people...
I too posted that video, check post #194. Sure, he's a smart guy but I think it's somehow coincidental "prediction", not Nostradamus grade material.
Quote:
some here wish him even dead...
That was before Linux / ubuntu got really big in the industry. Furthermore, B. Gates has now retired from all operational office duties. Let's face it, what more harm can he do now that he's camping a philanthropist ? These days, I believe it's Mark Zuckerberg who would attract the harsher criticism (cf. Cambridge Analytica Files in 2016, among other questionable practices).
Quote:
he offered 100mil to help with corona.
100 ml of hydroalcoholic gel on his personal funds ? Count me in... out! Gee, didn't realize black market prices of gel went THAT high !

Last edited by SquawkBox; 28 March 2020 at 20:41.
Old 28 March 2020, 19:09   #213
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

You don't have to be Nostradamus to predict this after facing ebola and couple other flu epidemics.
Old 28 March 2020, 19:26   #214
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Now the Chinese say the world is going down because some shorty local barbarian had sex with animals, probaby a bat. How the f*ck can you have sex with a bat?
It's an emotional stuff.
You can hold a hand with bat, and still have an orgasm.

Last edited by d4rk3lf; 28 March 2020 at 19:35.
Old 28 March 2020, 19:45   #215
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
It's an emotional stuff.
You can hold a hand with bat, and still have an orgasm.
!
Old 28 March 2020, 20:52   #216
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Old 28 March 2020, 21:47   #217
jmmijo

And Now for Something Completely Different....

Somehow, Sonic the Hedgehog here in the states became a HIT
Old 29 March 2020, 01:06   #218
SquawkBox

[ Show youtube player ]

Any resemblance with real world, actual places or belligerents is purely coincidental...

Last edited by SquawkBox; 29 March 2020 at 13:24.
Old 30 March 2020, 08:13   #219
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Their disease? WTF??
Yes, their disease. The whole world is in shutdown because of a virus originating from China.

The incompetence of the Wuhan government and the obsession with eating disgusting animals is the problem here. China should be reimbursing the world for all costs incurred by this virus and their stupidity.
Old 30 March 2020, 09:09   #220
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
The incompetence of the Wuhan government and the obsession with eating disgusting animals is the problem here.
Yes, that's the real problem. Now that we have identified the responsible, we should bomb them with nukes.

If it were not for the evil chinese people, we would all live in paradise without any deseases.

Last edited by sparhawk; 30 March 2020 at 10:21.