English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 29 May 2012, 22:01   #141
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
Any progress?
When I have made some measureable progress, it will be reported here.

The main problem at this stage is deciding where to reintroduce missing data without excessive fragmentation whilst taking care to avoid overwriting anything which might still be useful.
Old 04 November 2012, 19:02   #142
dagoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Emulatron View Post
In The Zone is a zip file containing a Damaged floppy image and Disk Doctored floppy image and[...]
Maybe a stupid question, but are these files still in The Zone? I joined The Zone group, but the oldest file I see is only 20.8 days old.

I really need to get the original Laser Chess If someone could help me with that or PM it to me, that would be awesome!

Thanks

Old 04 November 2012, 20:28   #143
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagoro View Post
Maybe a stupid question, but are these files still in The Zone? I joined The Zone group, but the oldest file I see is only 20.8 days old.
Sorry, dagoro. The Zone is a temporary holding area for members' uploads only. Files uploaded are there for only 21 days maximum.

But don't worry about having missed those files. They were damaged, and not only has it taken a lot of work to salvage what was on the disk originally, but there's some files missing too, which I will endeavour to recreate when I can get back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagoro View Post
I really need to get the original Laser Chess If someone could help me with that or PM it to me, that would be awesome!

Thanks
I am fairly sure that the Laser Chess files are intact at this point. If I can confirm that, I will upload an adf containing the relevant files to The Zone for you in the next couple of days.
Old 04 November 2012, 20:56   #144
dagoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Sorry, dagoro. The Zone is a temporary holding area for members' uploads only. Files uploaded are there for only 21 days maximum.
Ahh, that would explain it! Well hey, I've sent you a private message! I (bizarrely enough!) need Laser Chess urgently.

Thanks

Old 04 November 2012, 21:45   #145
rygar

Here is free version of Laser Chess:
http://www.old-games.com/download/5365/laser-chess
Old 05 November 2012, 02:02   #146
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi dagoro,

I've uploaded an Amiga Disk File to The Zone for you containing the Laser Chess AmigaBasic executable complete with AmigaBasic compiler and bitmap files required to run the game.

For instructions, enter Most LaserChess from the CLI.

It requires WinUAE Amiga 500 configuration and Workbench 1.x
Old 23 February 2014, 08:47   #147
sovaughn1980

This was a great disk, one of the first PD games I had on my old Amiga 2000 hard drive. (Which I discovered today seems almost impossible to resurrect on my laptop). Been looking for Biker Dave, Rememory, Chain Reaction, Switchbox and Marbles for some time. Did any of these survive the repair process? I too missed it in The Zone.
They were some weirdly fun games

Old 23 February 2014, 23:13   #148
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovaughn1980 View Post
This was a great disk, one of the first PD games I had on my old Amiga 2000 hard drive. (Which I discovered today seems almost impossible to resurrect on my laptop). Been looking for Biker Dave, Rememory, Chain Reaction, Switchbox and Marbles for some time. Did any of these survive the repair process? I too missed it in The Zone.
They were some weirdly fun games
Hi sovaughn1980,

Thanks for your interest in this thread. I am pleased to tell you that Biker Dave, Rememory, Chain Reaction, Switchbox and Marbles have all survived the recovery process intact.

In fact, there is now only one game file still missing and, unfortunately, there is absolutely no chance of recovering it from the disk as there is nothing present which can be connected with it.

That game is Boulder Bob (the AmigaBasic source, either the ASCII or semi-compiled version). I have recovered both the icon (.info file) and instructions for playing the game, but not the AmigaBasic Boulder Bob file itself.

The Boulder Bob game's filename is actually __ and the accompanying file is __.info, where "__" represents two spaces, since its icon has the filename emblazoned across it.

If perchance you have this file, it would be very much appreciated if you could upload it, as it would provide the key to bringing this disk recovery to completion.

Don't worry, you haven't missed any worthwhile uploads, because all Ze Emulatron's disk image uploads were very badly damaged and my offer of work in progress uploads during the recovery process was rejected by him. I must admit that to have provided them would have slowed the task considerably, because it has been more convenient to store the games in a format which would not be suitable for playing while I am working on them.

A while back, I bought the whole set of Compute! Magazines on three DVDs in the hope that it would provide the source code for the Boulder Bob game, but I haven't been able to find it yet. It's proving to be a slow process (the magazines aren't indexed) and I won't be convinced it's on there until I have found it.

Thanks for reading.
Old 25 February 2014, 09:48   #149
sovaughn1980

Hmm, strangely Boulder Bob does not ring any bells, which is a shame. Even if I can access this HD I would doubt it would be on there

I am also originally from NZ, so perhaps if there are other kiwis who happen to skim through this thread, and perchance that they might have the disk buried somewhere in their old collection, then maybe that file is out there. At this stage that is the only longshot idea that comes to mind.