English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 March 2009, 17:14   #1
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Very slow file copy?

Hi,

I am in the process of backing up my real Amiga HDD to a USB HDD through WinUAE (latest version).

The Amiga HDD is using uaehf.device the USB is made present using the "ADD PC HDD on Startup" check.

Copying files from the Amiga HDD to the USB HDD is excrutiatingly slow.
Will adding buffers to the AmigaHDD speed things up?
Old 16 March 2009, 20:08   #2
thomas

Quote:
Will adding buffers to the AmigaHDD speed things up?
Yes. If it's FastFileSystem, use 1000 or more buffers.

But in my experience you get much more improvement if you play with WinUAE's priority settings and the CPU idle slider. Experiment with priorities above or below normal (yes, sometimes below is better than above) and make sure that WinUAE does not stop when it looses focus.

For the CPU idle slider I get best results if it is moved to somewhere in the middle. Both far left and far right slow down emulation.

Also make sure that the Amiga system you use has a graphics card and Picasso96 installed. And disable filters and sound. Heavy emulation of the native custom chips slows down disk access, too.

And of course make sure that JIT is enabled with highest possible buffer. This should be self-evident.
Old 16 March 2009, 20:14   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Writes aren't cached by WinUAE (reads have very simple cache) or Windows. Windows cache is in filesystem driver which is of course bypassed.
Old 16 March 2009, 21:03   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
The Amiga HDD has SFS in its RDB. However I am booting into a standard WB3.1 environment to do the copying.

I will try adding buffers, what do you recommend?
Old 16 March 2009, 22:16   #5
thomas

I am not sure, but I think I read somewhere that SFS has an upper limit from which on more buffers won't help more. Something like 800 or so.

Perhaps you can try ClassicWB_P96. It's probably the quickest way to get away from the native chipset, if you don't want to install P96 yourself.