English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 September 2004, 15:00   #1
backtoskooldaze

scsi cd rom+surf squirrel interface?

Hi,Can anyone help me on which scsi cable to buy?
I have a squirrel interface that i have been using with a reno external cd rom (Do you remember them LOL) Well i have just obtained a very nice like brandnew boxed A1200 and i don't want to rip it apart for towering but i will have to break the seal to add 3.1 roms and a nice 2.5" HD BUT i want to use a scsi 32x pc cd rom i have lying around as it is faster than the reno 2x I have been looking at a way to connecting the pc scsi cd rom to the squirrel interface.The scsi socket on the back of the pc scsi drive is a wider fitting than the reno cd rom and with the squirrel interface it comes in two parts.One being the part with the pcmcia card on one end and a blue coloured end and the second part is a cable that fits in to the squirrel's blue coloured end and on the end of that is a smaller scsi socket that fits the reno cd rom.I obviously need to find a cable that goes from the blue coloured end on the squirrel interface with the pcmcia card? which will then fit the pc scsi cd rom? Can anyone help me out as to which cable i need to look for?

Sorry for the long winded post but i have always been confused with all the different types of scsi fittings and have always stuck with ide LOL or pcmcia cards.I don't want ide cables hanging out of the like brandnew A1200 I want to keep it looking as original as possible because i have now become more comfortable with using my A1200's in cases not towers.

Cheers P
Old 08 October 2004, 23:38   #2
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

I have a SurfSquirrel . . . it came with only the "Centronics 50Pin" connector, which I have plugged into a socalled "scsi-tower" (how much of a "tower" it is with only allowing me 2 scsi-drives, is left for discussion, though)

Anyways . . . it kinda sounds like you have a 68pin CDROM (Not the Reno one), OR an 80pin one . . . (both of which allows for theoretically higher speeds).

I would take both the Squirrel and the 32x CD-ROM to PC-World or something, and tell them you NEED this to work, otherwise they're not the right peoples for the work they're supposed to do
Old 09 October 2004, 20:41   #3
backtoskooldaze

scsi connections

Hi,Thanks for your reply I do have a reno 2x cr rom and with the squirrel i have the pcmcia card bit.There is another cable that goes from the squirrel socket to the reno.The reno has a very small scsi connection.I have since bought a scsi adapter from ebay and it is a scsi 1 to scsi 2 and one end fits the reno drive.I have done a bit of a search and the reno scsi connections seems to be called a 50hd connection and there is cables that have the wide 50 pin connection on one end and the other has a 50hd which fits the reno.My aim is to get a cable to fit the back of a 50 pin 32x scsi cd rom and then get it to fit the squirrel interface.
Old 09 October 2004, 23:48   #4
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

any chance you could get up a picture of both the Reno and the faster drive? I'm not sure I understand . . .

Well. My SurfSquirrel comes like I said, with a "Centronics 50 Pin" whci kinda looks a little like those printer-cables, just wider. in the SCSI-Tower, it's "converted" to a 2*50 standard flatcable, then going "back out" again on the other end. Anyways, I have there one 68pin SCSI-2 HD connected via a 68->50pin adapter . . . is this something of the sollution you're looking for?
Old 10 October 2004, 23:42   #5
MSC
Zone Friend

Alternatively, find a local Maplins Electronics. They supplied me with all i needed to make a conversion from the squirrel to the cd-rom.

http://www.maplins.co.uk

Mark