English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 October 2019, 03:29   #1
Pyromania

Amiga 2030

The year 2030 is suppose to be when we reach a utopian world. Aging and maybe even death will be cured, most cars you buy will be electric and a lot of other fantastic promises. Where will the Amiga be in 2030? What’s everyone’s opinion on that?

https://futuristspeaker.com/business...ions-for-2030/

Last edited by Pyromania; 15 October 2019 at 03:31. Reason: Update
Old 15 October 2019, 03:53   #2
dalek

Stuck in legal limbo
Old 15 October 2019, 03:57   #3
ransom1122

Due to the legal limbo we will always end up using emulation.

Sadly I do not think the Amiga will ever come back in the future.
Old 15 October 2019, 06:03   #4
Pyromania

2020 is in a few months, is the Amiga where you thought it would be ten years ago?
Old 15 October 2019, 06:27   #5
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Anything is possible all you need is some people to belive in the amiga more than all we do and have the money to back a project like give life back the amiga and show the world whats its capable of, And then i woke up and realised it was all a dream and the amiga is the most superior computer platform out there... LoLz

Coffee Time For Me.... *SIGH*
Old 15 October 2019, 06:43   #6
Bruce Abbott

My car is already electric, and utopia for me (when I retire and will be able to play with my Amigas full time) is only 3 years away.

In 10 years time? I think classic Amigas will be even more sought after as retro computing continues its revival. Hardware like the Vampire will become even more capable (imagine what FPGAs will be available by then!) and programmers will wring even more out of the classic hardware. In short, the Amiga will finally fulfill its promise!

Meanwhile. modern PCs will become even less interesting, and Windows so frustrating that many people will move to alternative operating systems, one of which might be AmigaOS!

On the downside; Global Warming will be really starting to kick in by then, so we might have to stay indoors a lot more - more reason to play with our Amigas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek
Stuck in legal limbo
I think the legal business will be sorted soon, but if not it doesn't matter. Every real Amiga included a fully licensed OS that they can't take away from us, and they can't stop us modifying it for personal use. If future 'development' is stuck in limbo that could be a good thing as it will maintain the base line. WB3.1 forever!

Last edited by Bruce Abbott; 15 October 2019 at 07:06.
Old 15 October 2019, 07:02   #7
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
2020 is in a few months, is the Amiga where you thought it would be ten years ago?
10 years ago I thought the Amiga was dead as a doornail. 5 years ago I threw away an accelerated A600 and two slightly faulty CD32s because I thought nobody would want that junk. I only kept the A1200 for old time's sake, and didn't turn it on again until last year. Then I discovered this website, and...

The Amiga's revival is something I never would have predicted. The stuff coming out for it now is amazing!
Old 15 October 2019, 07:16   #8
Pyromania

I predict the Amiga of 2030 will be 8K, you heard it here first!

Old 15 October 2019, 08:11   #9
chip

In 2030 i really hope to be still busy with WinUAE
Old 15 October 2019, 11:06   #10
DamienD
Banned

...not really sure how this thread was Amiga scene related; moved accordingly.
Old 15 October 2019, 11:45   #11
sneckburger

Would the Amiga Mini like the Sega Mega drive Mini be a good idea?
I like the idea you can just plug it in, select a game and get your fill of nostalgia without having faff about trying to get old hardware working on a new TV and then source games and mess around with emulation settings.
Amiga enthusiast (on here) would probably cringe at the thought of such product.... but for the masses (those who have moved on :-b). Seeing one in say Menkind for example at around £40-£50 might get my interest.

If so:
What games would be on it?
What controller would be with it? Joystick? Mouse? keyboard?
How would this interface look?
What would it look like? i.e. Mini A500, A600 A1200?
Who would manufacture it or who would be licensed to?
Is there something already in the pipeline?
Old 15 October 2019, 12:02   #12
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...not really sure how this thread was Amiga scene related; moved accordingly.
I thought it would be an opinion piece thread on where the Amiga scene might be in the year 2030.
Old 15 October 2019, 14:51   #13
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
The year 2030 is suppose to be when we reach a utopian world. Aging and maybe even death will be cured, most cars you buy will be electric and a lot of other fantastic promises. Where will the Amiga be in 2030? What’s everyone’s opinion on that?
I don't know about you but a world were death is cured would be a bad one. Over population would run away and if you lived forever I can guarantee you there'd be no retirement to look forward to. I personally can't wait for the days I'll be in the nursing home and showing the young nurse my CD32 collection.

Where will Amiga be... right here were it is now. Vampire V6 will be coming out next year and we'll still be arguing that FPGA isn't emulation but also isn't Amiga.
Old 15 October 2019, 15:01   #14
DrFruit
Resident Nutter...

Guru will still be meditating!
Old 16 October 2019, 08:02   #15
quantum8

Everyone will have open sourced 060 accelerated amigas, hopefully some software outside the demo scene that works with it and we'll all still be debating the best way to recap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
Stuck in legal limbo

nailed it.
Old 16 October 2019, 09:44   #16
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneckburger View Post
Would the Amiga Mini like the Sega Mega drive Mini be a good idea?
I like the idea you can just plug it in, select a game and get your fill of nostalgia without having faff about trying to get old hardware working on a new TV and then source games and mess around with emulation settings.
Amiga enthusiast (on here) would probably cringe at the thought of such product.... but for the masses (those who have moved on :-b). Seeing one in say Menkind for example at around £40-£50 might get my interest.

If so:
What games would be on it?
What controller would be with it? Joystick? Mouse? keyboard?
How would this interface look?
What would it look like? i.e. Mini A500, A600 A1200?
Who would manufacture it or who would be licensed to?
Is there something already in the pipeline?
I thought the same when I first re-discovered the Amiga scene late last year.

I soon realised it has been done "kind of" with the ARMIGA
https://www.armigaproject.com/

But personally I'd prefer to see a full size replica with functional KB and Mouse.

The C64 Mini came out, and this year I think (?) A full size replica will be available. So it can and does happen.
https://www.gamesmen.com.au/the-c64-...kaApOpEALw_wcB
Old 16 October 2019, 09:45   #17
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Amiga will be forgotten when the last of the fans dies off.
Old 16 October 2019, 09:58   #18
BrooksterMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_sk View Post
Amiga will be forgotten when the last of the fans dies off.
sadly I think this. We carry the flame at the moment and possibly our children if they get engaged too but likely to fade over time.
Old 16 October 2019, 10:15   #19
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
I thought the same when I first re-discovered the Amiga scene late last year.

I soon realised it has been done "kind of" with the ARMIGA

But personally I'd prefer to see a full size replica with functional KB and Mouse.

The C64 Mini came out, and this year I think (?) A full size replica will be available. So it can and does happen.
That piece of pish is not a mini amiga but rather a raspberry pi in a 3d printed case with a floppy drive. But do not let that full you as it cannot boot to the floppy drive but rather its just used to make an ADF of your disk to run in emulation.

The C64 mini is OK and yes there is a full sized version with working keyboard planned but Amiga will unfortunately never see this because the IP is spread over to many houses with some of those happy to flog the dead horse instead of looking for opportunity. Its actually sort of funny how Commodore sat on the laurels of Amiga for years and didn't really invest and now the current owners are doing exactly the same thing.

I suppose in some ways the Vampire stand alone could be classed as the Amiga mini its just not priced the same. Actually the minimig maybe ticks that box too but then again is FPGA emulation an Amiga? Maybe if you printed MOS on the FPGA? That's another topic though.

In 11 years time I honestly think things will be much as they are now except I expect the current Amiga Fad to of passed and prices to be back to normal for what will be 40 year old tech.
Old 16 October 2019, 11:16   #20
sneckburger

I always thought if there's a market for something you can guarantee they'll soon be a greedy investor exploiting it for a profit.... which to say is not always a bad thing consumers get what they want (sometimes) but can risk ruining the opportunity as investors usually just want a quick cash grab and don't really care if the product is any good.

Why is the Amiga any different? surely the people holding the licences could just come to some sort of agreement.

When the time it comes tho what would the people want (not just the enthusiast). It would have to be similar priced around the same as the C64 mini too.