English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 15 July 2008, 12:42   #1
Titler
Zone Friend

Games You'd Thought You'd Completed (But Haven't Really)

Hi all,

Just idly reading through the boards after a long time away, and I saw old classic Exile mentioned; Way back when I played it originally, I managed to complete the game, and see the ending, but I recall that for some reason the game wouldn't let me complete it a second time. Being younger then, and having many more games to play, I didn't think much more about it at the time... but looking up the solution today, I came to realise that I'd actually not completed it honestly at all, but had simply come across an odd bug whilst trying to find the true ending

I've attached a picture below, but basically what happened as I recall is that I tried to get something into the glowing rocks in the maggot machine as I wanted to see if I could trigger an explosion; in the end, holding a maggot I had in my inventory, I somehow managed to push one through the wall, which did indeed trigger an explosion and then it skipped to the end credits. I never even saw the ship-piece or crew members that you actually needed for the honest ending

I've got a working ADF of my saved game, although I've not played it for years so I don't know how close to the bug it was, if anyone wants to try and replicate it (need to re-learn all the keys yet, he he... may play it through again when I have the time )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exile.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	17152  
Old 15 July 2008, 12:58   #2
pmc
gone

Ah, memories, memories. Exile... Fantastic game.

I had the original - still got a boxed copy of it on the shelf at home - and played it for hours and hours (and hours...) when I was a kid.

I did finally complete it although I must admit that I had to write (that shows you how long ago I was playing it - no email back then...!) a letter to the makers at one point after being stuck on the same bit for weeks - they sent me a nice reply with a load of helpful hints and tips.

From what I remember, once you complete it you get a sequence of you and all your rescued crew in the spaceship blasting off from the planet.

Is that right...? Now you've got me wondering if I ever really completed it!
Old 15 July 2008, 14:24   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, I think I completed Lionheart and Wolfchild, but I guess I have to play them again to know it for sure
Old 15 July 2008, 14:58   #4
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Cool thread, but sometimes it's best to not know...
Old 15 July 2008, 16:48   #5
humble worm

James Pond III - When I reached and beaten up dr Maybe I jumped to the ceiling... but then it appeared that I actualy failed as I had not destroyed all cheese mines... tried many times after that but never found the last mine (or mines)
Old 15 July 2008, 18:59   #6
mailman
Zone Friend

Fury of the Furries - the last level is a bit weird and I really don't know what to do there. Anyone?
Old 15 July 2008, 19:09   #7
rmcin329
NOOB

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. I completed everything i could find story wise, but i never saw an actual ending, or credits being shown or something. I searched EVERYWHERE i could think of but couldn't find anything more. Could be the game is programmed to just let you randomly wander and have fun after the storyline, not sure.

Unfortunatly this was also many years ago so i no longer have my save file. I do on the other hand have the WHDload version of the game, i just haven't gotten around to playing it again.
Old 15 July 2008, 20:39   #8
Coagulus
Gets there in the end...

Monty Python - I never did get all the spam! And the copy of turrican I originally used had the entire last level missing! Was rather shocked when I bought it and found a new level!
Old 15 July 2008, 21:24   #9
Titler
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. I completed everything i could find story wise, but i never saw an actual ending, or credits being shown or something. I searched EVERYWHERE i could think of but couldn't find anything more. Could be the game is programmed to just let you randomly wander and have fun after the storyline, not sure.
Ahh yes; it was especially easy to become persuaded of this if, like me, you'd started on the earliest generation of home computer games, which often would just loop endlessly or not actually end at all... and which led to years of feeling neurotic on later games through thinking "most of them have endings now... does this one have an ending... surely it has an ending...?"

One game from the C16 era I can remember not realising had an actual ending (and even telling my brother only last year it didn't) was Rockman 1... but it actually does, I'd missed ONE room all this time. Rockman 2 on the other hand I'm pretty certain doesn't have one, having collected all the diamonds required in the last level through cheating and using saved states as it was so damn hard... but then again, I may have blown up the exit... argh, now I'm feeling neurotic again!
Old 15 July 2008, 21:39   #10
Photon

Exile is the best game in history! There's even an Exile tribute site.

My box is worn from looking up those codes...

Nice topic, this.

g'wan, more quirky games! (And yes, Exile had its quirks, still the best game ever!)